FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

merged: Burley is sacked....Official!

RedCard

Another sacking for Butcher's record. That's five for him now!

He will be adding another one hopefully quite soon.

Wasnt surprized at this news. Will be still be continuing with the footie pre-match interviews again?

i think the most gutsy and best decision would be to bring back craig brown

Are you kidding? it was under his leadership that the rot set in. he was playing guys like tom boyd, who werent even getting games for their clubs!

Vogts came in and did what needed to be done....ie, bring in fresh young blood and set it up for the future!

Are you kidding? it was under his leadership that the rot set in. he was playing guys like tom boyd, who werent even getting games for their clubs!

Vogts came in and did what needed to be done....ie, bring in fresh young blood and set it up for the future!

SMEE its you that must be the kidder or do you just get your kicks from contradicting anything thats said.

Craig Brown took Scotland to Euro finals and World Cup finals. What did Bertie do? Quote from Wiki:

Scotland performed badly during his two and half year tenure, and suffered a series of heavy defeats, including 6?0 to the Netherlands, 5?0 to France, 4?0 to Wales, 4?1 to South Korea and 3?0 to Hungary, as well as a humiliating 2-2 draw with the lowly Faroe Islands. This caused the team to drop to a record low in the FIFA World Rankings.[5]

An October 2004 draw with Moldova essentially put paid to Scotland's hopes of qualifying for the 2006 World Cup, and Vogts resigned the following month, with a year and a half remaining on his contract, citing "disgraceful abuse".[6] He later vowed never to return to football management following this "abuse" though he did not rule out a return to football on a coaching basis.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

he was picking the best players we had, no nonsense and played to our strengths and it made him the most successfull manager we've ever had

SMEE its you that must be the kidder or do you just get your kicks from contradicting anything thats said.

Craig Brown took Scotland to Euro finals and World Cup finals. What did Bertie do? Quote from Wiki:

Where do you get your facts Alex? Scotland got to Euro 96 and World Cup 98 Finals under Brown. Feel free to enlighten us all to the other finals to which you refer took place?

Edited by Alex MacLeod
Sorted mistake

he was picking the best players we had, no nonsense and played to our strengths and it made him the most successfull manager we've ever had

Actually, there are half a dozen previous Scottish Managers with a higher win percentage than Brown!

Where do you get your facts Alex? Scotland got to Euro 96 and World Cup 98 Finals under Brown. Feel free to enlighten us all to the other finals to which you refer took place?

They 2's weren't meant to be there.

Actually, there are half a dozen previous Scottish Managers with a higher win percentage than Brown!

aye right .name them then and how many games they were in charge for to accumulate these percentages you talk of.

I didnt go back through them all, but of the "modern era" from the 70s onwards, only McLeish, Ormond and Docherty have a better record than Craig Brown.

• Burley 3 wins from 14 = 21.43% Worse even than Berti Vogts !!! (failed to qualify for WC 2010). We are currently at 45 in world rankings, having dropped 16 places last month alone. With new numbers due out in 4 days time that include a loss to 78th ranked Wales we are likely to drop a lot lower. I wonder if we can stay above Canada who have climbed from 94th in March to 53rd last month !!!
  • McLeish 7/10 = 70.00% (narrowly failed to qualify for Euro 2008 but his (and Smith's) results lifted Scotland to 13 in world rankings)
  • Smith 7/16 = 43.75% (won Kirin Cup, narrowly failed to qualify for WC 2006)
  • Burns 0/1 = 0.00%
  • Vogts 8/31 = 25.81% (failed to qualify for Euro 2004, managed to take Scotland to record low FIFA ranking of 88)
  • Brown 32/70 = 45.71% (qualified for Euro 1996 and WC 1998, failed to qualify for Euro 2000 after losing playoff to England, failed to qualify for WC 2002)
  • Roxburgh 23/62 = 37.10% (qualified for WC 1990 & Euro 1992 [1st ever time qualified], failed to qualify for WC 1994)
  • Ferguson 3/10 = 30.00%
  • Stein 26/61 = 42.62% (failed to qualify for Euro 1980, qualified for WC 1982 & 1986)
  • MacLeod 7/17 = 41.18% (qualified for WC 1978)
  • Ormond 18/38 = 47.37% (qualified for WC 1974)
  • Docherty 7/12 = 58.33%

I didnt go back through them all, but of the "modern era" from the 70s onwards, only McLeish, Ormond and Docherty have a better record than Craig Brown.

• Burley 3 wins from 14 = 21.43% Worse even than Berti Vogts !!! (failed to qualify for WC 2010). We are currently at 45 in world rankings, having dropped 16 places last month alone. With new numbers due out in 4 days time that include a loss to 78th ranked Wales we are likely to drop a lot lower. I wonder if we can stay above Canada who have climbed from 94th in March to 53rd last month !!!
  • McLeish 7/10 = 70.00% (narrowly failed to qualify for Euro 2008 but his (and Smith's) results lifted Scotland to 13 in world rankings)
  • Burns 0/1 = 0.00%
  • Vogts 8/31 = 25.81% (failed to qualify for Euro 2004, managed to take Scotland to record low FIFA ranking of 88)
  • Brown 32/70 = 45.71% (qualified for Euro 1996 and WC 1998, failed to qualify for Euro 2000 after losing playoff to England, failed to qualify for WC 2002)
  • Roxburgh 23/62 = 37.10% (qualified for WC 1990 & Euro 1992 [1st ever time qualified], failed to qualify for WC 1994)
  • Ferguson 3/10 = 30.00%
  • Stein 26/61 = 42.62% (failed to qualify for Euro 1980, qualified for WC 1982 & 1986)
  • Docherty 7/12 = 58.33%

I wanted Tommy Burns as Scotland Manager. I wonder what would have unfolded if he had got it...

I suppose that when Butcher now does his stand up spot for the Champions league on STV that the caption will now read manager of Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Should please more people now.

aye right .name them then and how many games they were in charge for to accumulate these percentages you talk of.

Scotland managers records

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/man/aamanagers.html

• Burns 0/1 = 0.00%
  • Ferguson 3/10 = 30.00%
  • Docherty 7/12 = 58.33%

you can go right back i think and brown will still stick out as having the best record. of mcleish , ormand and docherty, none of them could compare with regard to games played but have decent records too nonetheless.

Didn't have time to check earlier but thought I'd highlight the fresh young blood that Berti brought in. Six players won first caps under Berti's reign.

McFadden, G. Alexander, G Caldwell, D. Fletcher, A Webster and Craig Gordon. All of these would have been likely choices for any manager because they where all that was available at the time. What did he set up for the future?

Craig Levein is bookmakers favourite to be next.

Pleased that Butcher can concentrate a bit more on us now. It was always going to end like this for George.

Wonder if Kris Boyd will now withdraw himself out of international retirement. :oops01: