FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The "Flag " incident

BornCaley

I dont want to dampen what was a tremendously happy day but did anyone notice the incident at the front with the Irish Tri-colour.

Some guy draped a small flag over the railings and while im sure this was intended as a "nod" to our Shamrock trio, another guy took offence to this and had a go. well it almost ended in blows but a third part entered and calmed it down. The flag was removed and everyone got on with it.

Im not sure what how i feel about this one. We have had a Romanian flag for Marius and im sure a Canadian flag for Hastings, but we all know the Tri-colour has certain meanings and as i said im sure this was not the intent of the bearer.

Anyway nothing came of if after that and we all including the people involved enjoyed their day out.

If the Mods feel this thread starts getting silly then by all means close it, but just wanted to get peoples thoughts on it.

BC on post 666

Edited by BornCaley

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only see this thread going one way so, i'll help it on it's way. Who gets the right to decide what nationalities are alright, and what ones aren't? If it wasn't for the old firm, there would be no problem with the flag. I'm sure a Union Jack would have got a similar reaction even though it's the country we live in (here we go) and have passports for. It should have been left alone as we can't let the old firm influence us.

Me and my dad went along in Republic of Ireland shirts with Rooney and Hayes on the back and all we received were compliments!

I don't see why a flag should be any different; I think a lot of folk are FAR too easily offended nowadays!

I can only see this thread going one way so, i'll help it on it's way. Who gets the right to decide what nationalities are alright, and what ones aren't? If it wasn't for the old firm, there would be no problem with the flag. I'm sure a Union Jack would have got a similar reaction even though it's the country we live in (here we go) and have passports for. It should have been left alone as we can't let the old firm influence us.

I totally agree.

I forgot to say that guy who had the problem was p*ssed, so may not have been a problem if alcohol wasnt involved.

And RE the Toilets, sorry i want going near those. Too many bad memories of the wall behind the Howden End.

Edited by BornCaley

The tri colour will always (rightly or wrongly) cause offence to someone at a footy match in Scotland. It will always be associated with the old firm or part there of. Even though it was obviously to honour our shamrock trio it was always going to cause hassle for someone. The saga of a tri colour and all it can represent has long been discussed even on this board. We have people who would happily fly the flag and we have those who wouldn't wipe their erse with it, not so much because it's an Irish flag but because of what it represents to many. Strange though a tri colour is not acceptable but Rangers shirts are, at the same match.

Who did you see wearing a blue hun top yesterday?

I take my hat off to the guys in the Ireland tops for having the names printed up on them. No problems with me having the Irish flag there - anyone with a modicum of common sense would realise they had the flag to support the Irish players. I take the points others have made on here in terms of there being political connotations in terms of flags being at football matches but in the circumstances someone having a go at them is OTT. We, as ICT fans, should not lower ourselves to the lowest common denominator and celebrate the fact we have 3 superb Irish players playing for us.

I was also speaking to a guy who was wearing an Inverurie Locos top and people were making comments to him about wearing an old Thistle top! Maybe taking a few moments to speak to people before making a rash decision would be a better plan.

Oh, I got a Romania top as a present when Marius was with us. Can we sign another Romanian please so I can get some use out of it?! :lol:

Edited by Top Six Next Year

think this is another thread that should be deleted so there are no arguments like the morphsuit which caused nobody any harm whatsoever but some people want to dampen the spirits on what was a fantastic day

Don't see the harm in the matter being debated. Thread stays open for now.

You really think that whoever brought that flag all the way from Inverness had some ulterior motive in antagonising that well known actively-protestant Ayr United fanbase?

...Aye me too...

:lol:

Hmmm . . . I would suggest that anyone taking an Irish flag to a Scottish football match had mischief in mind.

Yes, I agree this whole thing is ridiculous, but I ain't stupid either!

Hmmm . . . I would suggest that anyone taking an Irish flag to a Scottish football match had mischief in mind.

Yes, I agree this whole thing is ridiculous, but I ain't stupid either!

Could we have a list of the flags that cause mischief?

I'm not stupid either but need some guidance in case my Latvian flag for Bully could be construed as offensive by some narrow minded individual.

I'm not stupid either but need some guidance in case my Latvian flag for Bully could be construed as offensive by some narrow minded individual.

I hope you realise that the term Bully is disturbing to anyone who ever had their head pushed down a toilet. :lol:

The people who think the innocent display of a flag of the country of three of our players is offensive want to really take a look at themselves. that sort of attitude is what causes so much trouble and hatred.

But, to all you who want to honour our players in such a way, can I suggest you use the flag of Dublin. Two-tone blue.

The simplest thing would be to unite behind the manager and all bring English flags. :lol::rolleyes:

At least if we have English and Irish flags we can show we are not discriminatory in which bigots we offend.

And throw in a Latvian one just to confuse them.