FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

If you could ressurect ANy ex ICT player

SMEE

If you could take any ICT player from the past, and apply them and their attributes to todays team....which player would you like to add to todays team and why?

Personally.....I would like to see Paul Cherry back in midfield. This guy ruled the midfield, he was the General. Within 10 mins of the K.O, there was no doubt about who was calling the shots. he would give us so much dig in midfield.

• Agree 3

If you could take any ICT player from the past, and apply them and their attributes to todays team....which player would you like to add to todays team and why?

Personally.....I would like to see Paul Cherry back in midfield. This guy ruled the midfield, he was the General. Within 10 mins of the K.O, there was no doubt about who was calling the shots. he would give us so much dig in midfield.

I'd have Bobby Mann back in central defence for the same reasons as you've gone for Paul Cherry.

Within 10 mins of the K.O, there was no doubt about who was calling the shots would be in the referee's book

I remember him coming on as a sub at Arbroath and being sent off a few minutes later. He certainly got stuck in.

Smee has asked a good question, and I'm torn between:

Mann - for leadership, passing, reading of the game.

Dods - for winning every ball that came near him. Machine! We've never truly replaced him.

Robson - for set pieces, crosses and attacking flair

I love Bobby (and I told him that whilst hugging him on the pitch in May 2004)but Dods is probably the player we have missed the most.

Bobby Mann, an athlete that Charles Bannerman would have been proud of. Used his brain and the rest of his body followed. His awareness and anticipation were legendary and he never once hoofed a ball, he always passed it with uncanny accuracy. Could start an attack from inside his own penalty box and was coolness personified.

Hero :_thumbup:

If Rossco can play like he did last night in the SPL he will be Dods shape.

Ineresting to see how he gets on against a big centre forward though!

Robson was great for us, so was Mann, If we could get back a lean mean Bobby i'd have him, if not, Robson.

I think two players, certainly SPL wise, that we have never replaced are the aforementioned Dods but also Dargo as well. To have a striker capable of scoring 15 + goals for a bottom six team is an absolute dream to most these days. Hopefully Rooney can make the step up this season after last seasons excellent form but goals win you games and we didn't have anyone like Dargo up front for us after he left. Niculae came in and whilst he had a lot of wonderful touches and link up play his eight (?) goals that season didn't really help us out much.

Dods is the other obvious one. Your typical no nonsense defender - get the ball and batter it clear. He looked clumsy and awkward at times but he put his head in where it hurts and pretty much was our defence whilst he was here. He was an unbelievable player for us which is staggering considering how many of fans, myself included, thought that his signing was somewhat bizarre and something of a desperation move by Robbo at the time.

Maybe a lesser one would also be Rankin. We didn't score many goals from midfield last season (depending how you view Hayes) and he chipped in with a fair few goals for us. As did Cowie in his first season with us. Looking further back at players who you could bring back then obvious ones like Wilson, Bingham, Ritchie, Robson, Stewart, Mann, Christie all come up. I would quite like to have seen Mike Teasdale playing again. He went on some fantastic runs from left or right back for us. I mind he scored a blinder of a goal against County in Dingwall. Bursting up the left side he cut infield and sent a curling shot into the top right corner of the net in a 3 - 0 win (I think that's the right game). Great stuff!

EDIT: Paul Sheerin as well would be brilliant to have back. His passing was superb and he took a mean set piece as well as finding the net on more than a few occasions.

Edited by RiG
  • Disagree 1

Scored on his debut. Put to bed the Indian sign Aberdeen had over us. A regular in the SPL. When injury put him out of the side, we ended up getting relegated (how we could have used those prolific goals). Part of the squad that got us promoted from the SFL at the first time of asking. Got an SFL1 club to the Scottish Cup Final. Dumped a multi-million pound Celtic on their posterior, even though he was spearheading possibly the worst team in SFL1 history. I don't see how anyone can overlook...

Andy Barrowman!

I still miss him to this day :_argghh:

I'd like to see Darren Thompson ressurected for us...... as a better player!

Love to see Wyness in his prime again, scoring for fun.

Darren Dods was the defence master in terms of winning every high ball.

Robson was 2nd to none in terms of left mid creativity and goals.

I miss Rankin too. He was the 1st real contender as a replacement for Robson and that I can score from any range type has never been replaced.

Really hard to nail down 1 player but it really has to be, the one, the only, Bobby Mann, oh or Jim Calder.

Todays team? I'd have Cowie.

good thread... take a green dot.

I'd probably go for Sheerin because he's still my favourite player to wear our blue and red.

If I was looking at things more tacticly, Bobby Mann because of his passing from defence and orginisation or a prime Barry Wilson to play in the hole behind Rooney because I think our 4-2-3-1 formation would have suited him perfectly.

Great topic (have a green dot) ......... but what a hard decision as we have been blessed with some real characters that - in their prime - would not have been out of place in the SPL.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Charlie Christie yet but he would definitely make my shortlist, as would Jim Calder, Bobby Mann, Darren Dods, Paul Cherry, Barry Wilson Ian Stewart and Dennis Wyness ......

I would love a primetime version of any of the above in the team now but if I can pick only one then it has to be Bobby followed closely by Barry.

Simple reason is that I think we are well covered in almost every area of the park now but defence will be immensely important this season and that is where we are still lacking. Bobby would bring solidity to the defence and despite liking the hoof at times can also ping a ball 50 yards to the foot of the player he is trying to reach and also pitches in with a few goals every season which puts him ahead of Dods in my mind.

When I see all these different names bandied about....it makes me realise how lucky we have been over the years to have so many great players. When i think about it....i think ad be tempted to re-nominate Bobby Mann on my wish list....i had forgotten just how reliable and skillfull a player he was and his reading of the game more than made up for his lack of real pace. And...what a bonus it would be to have his distribution from the back in our team today, as opposed to the aimless punt we get at times. And he scored the odd goal or two to boot!

Our midfield is perhaps the strongest area of any team we have had over the years. Certainly our best players teneded to be midfielders I always felt. Imagine a middle line up of Wilson, Black, Cowie and Rankin which I think we might have had at some point a couple of seasons ago?

Edited by RiG

Charlie Christie for me - In his prime he was as good a player as we have had IMHO

Paul Richie for my son - scored loads of goals when he first started watching ICT aged about 5 and still his favourite player