FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Celtic FC Managers Fact

BornCaley

no one who has ever managed Celtic in the past is employed in a Football Managment post anywhere in the world.

Mowray- Unemployed

Strachan- Unemployed

O'Neill- Unemployed

Dalglish- Unemployed

Barnes- Unemployed

Venglos- Unemployed

Jansen- Unemployed

Macari- Unemployed

Brady- Unemployed

Mcneill- Unemployed

Hay- Unemployed

Could this be the best case of Discrimination ever :tongue:

Edited by BornCaley

being the skeptical sod I am, went to check all the managers bios .... and yup, you are definitely correct. Not all are unemployed - some working as pundits or in youth or ambassadorial roles within their clubs but its true, none are in actual management roles at a club.

Whats the betting that Dalglish is the first one of them to get a job as a replacement for Hodgson.

Willie Maley (1897 -1940) - Dead

Jimmy McStay (1940 - 1945) - Dead

Jimmy McGrory (1945 - 1965) - Dead

Jock Stein (1965 - 1978) - Dead

Billy McNeill (1978 - 1983) - "Club Ambassador" at Celtic

David Hay (1983 - 1987) - "Advisor" to Gary Bollan at Livingston

Liam Brady (1991 - 1993) - Head of Youth Development at Arsenal / RTE pundit

Lou Macari (1993 - 1994) - Pundit for MUTV and occassionally SKY Sports

Tommy Burns (1994 - 1997) - Dead

Wim Jansen (1997 - 1998) - Unemployed - previously technical advisor at Feyenoord

Jozef Venglos (1998 - 1999) - Unemployed

John Barnes (1999 - 2000) - Unemployed. Sacked from Tranmere 2009. Failed to get Rwanda job.

Kenny Dalglish (2000) - "Club Ambassador" at Liverpool, involved in Youth Academy.

Martin O' Neill (2000 - 2005) - Unemployed, recently departed as manager of Aston Villa

Gordon Strachan (2005 - 2009) - Unemployed. Recently deaprted as manager of Middlesborough

Tony Mowbray (2009 - 2010) - Unemployed

Neil Lennon (2010 - present) - Current Manager

mmm, not really .....

In Celtic's case, 11 out of the 11 former managers - that are still alive - are not involved in a managerial role.

In ICT's case, 3 out of 5 former managers are not in a managerial role, but 2 are ... Pele at Huntly and Brewster as Asst at County.

Incredible! Who on earth spotted that?

John Barnes is now employed in Waterloo Road, apparently.

Its been doing the rounds over the last few days ( text/facebook joke). No idea who actually took the time to check the facts, but i imagine this started from yonder Govan area of Glasgay.

very funny!

Lennon will be out soon enough. Not long until the fans realise that he hasn't got what it takes to win important games.

TM could do a reasonable job at Middlesbrough but I do wonder how he will get on with the dross that Strachan signed especially seeing as it was TM that allowed a lot fo them to leave Celtic.

Edited by RiG

Heck of a lot of former old firm players in the squad there. Its going to be interesting to see whether they have any respect for Mowbray after his spell at Celtic.

The former Celtic players will no doubt be aggrieved that they were deemed not good enough and sold by Celtic and i wonder if the former Rangers players will have any respect for him given that he was a diddy managing in Scotland

Celtic should do everything they can to swap Rogne for McManus, Robson for Ki and McDonald for some other poor player BTM signed.

I'll bet this ends in tears.

McManus is shocking. Terrible, Terrible defender. Rogne 19 and rated as one of Norways brightest Stars. Just injured at the moment. Ki has played well so far this season.

Though i would be delighted to GIVE any team Loovens, Samaras, Cha and a good few others.

Anyway, Vengy still helps out at Celtic from time-to-time with Scouting for youth players though he isn't actually employed.

Yeah, you're right. What has McManus ever achieved? Apart from the 3 Championships and 4 Cup winners medals as Celtic's captain.

I know everyone basically picks Scotland's best players then gives them a kicking (how many times has Davie Weir, probably our best centre-back for the last decade, been called a cart-horse for instance) but he was the backbone of the team, with the meanest defence in Scotland (and a GK that wasn't always there) until Mowbray decided to 'improve' the team. Just like Gary Caldwell (player of the season at the time), BTM knocked their confidence for six, couldn't play to their strengths and destroyed the team.

Ki cost over ?2M to be a bit-part player (who would you have? One Ki or two James - McCarthy and McArthur - with cash left over?). And he's still not as good as Robson. Who would you rather play for Scotland (if eligible) - Ki or Robson? Same with McManus and Rogne. The former Celtic players both times for me.

I watch M/boro quite a lot. Three players I thought didn't deserve any blame for WGS getting sacked were McManus, Robson and Wheater. Willo Flood also did well but too many injuries for any real assessment.

• Agree 1

Yeah, you're right. What has McManus ever achieved? Apart from the 3 Championships and 4 Cup winners medals as Celtic's captain.

I know everyone basically picks Scotland's best players then gives them a kicking (how many times has Davie Weir, probably our best centre-back for the last decade, been called a cart-horse for instance) but he was the backbone of the team, with the meanest defence in Scotland (and a GK that wasn't always there) until Mowbray decided to 'improve' the team. Just like Gary Caldwell (player of the season at the time), BTM knocked their confidence for six, couldn't play to their strengths and destroyed the team.

Ki cost over ?2M to be a bit-part player (who would you have? One Ki or two James - McCarthy and McArthur - with cash left over?). And he's still not as good as Robson. Who would you rather play for Scotland (if eligible) - Ki or Robson? Same with McManus and Rogne. The former Celtic players both times for me.

I watch M/boro quite a lot. Three players I thought didn't deserve any blame for WGS getting sacked were McManus, Robson and Wheater. Willo Flood also did well but too many injuries for any real assessment.

I agree. Those three cannot take any belame for Stachans sacking. But, trust me. I have watched many a Celtic game with McManus playing and he was not good. Danny Majstorovic is a much better player than McManus was for Celtic.

I was raging when Celtic never bought McCarthy. I would have loved him at Celtic, though i would take Ki over McArthur. Ki had a great World Cup and has been fantastic since he has came into the team recently. With the ball at his feet, he is one of the best in the SPL. Downside is that he cannot tackle at all. He is a faaaar better footballer that Robson but i dont think you can compair them. Robson is a scrappy type player and one Celtic should never have let go. I think both would be great in a 3 man midfield for Celtic as Ki is very intelligent footballer.

It is very unfair to say anything about Rogne. He has hardly been seen to play and everytime he has played he has impressed a great deal. He is not one of Norways best prospects in years for nothing.