FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dallas gone?

ilpadrino

According to STV a few minutes ago, Dallas has "left his job". The link on their website is currently dead, so either they haven't put the article up yet, or they've jumped the gun and taken it down again.

Hugh Dallas leaves post at SFA

STV Sport understands that Hugh Dallas has left his position as Head of Referee development at the SFA.

They now have a full article here, but there's still no other confirmation.

Edited by ilpadrino

About time he did the decent thing , no place for sectarianism in our game .

http://news.stv.tv/s...ost-at-the-sfa/

Where I agree that we need to rid the game of sectarianism is it not the case that we have to rid society of sectarianism. The only reason this whole thing is being attributed to 'our game' is because of who sent it. He made an error in judgement by sending the email on from his work email address, one that invariably he got found out but how many of us can say that they haven't received an email at work that takes the p#ss out of something else, no matter who they are or what organisation it is, and haven't forwarded it on themselves?

I got this same content in an email at work, I saw it online, I heard about it from friends and I even saw it in a newspaper too but I wouldn't say this was attributed to 'our game nor was it condemned.

Should we be letting one of the best ex Scottish referees resign from his post due to an error in judgement without putting up a fight, I don't think so. Obviously there will be others that will completely disagree with me but lets get it into context and this is a forum about opinions. Yes i'm sure Celtic had another massive part to play in this and voiced their feelings about it but lets remember it's the same ref that got hit by a coin at their very ground by one of the best fans in the world which could have either taken his eye out or killed him but he kept on officiating the game, I would say that was worthy more of an outcry than this.

Who will the SFA bring in to head their refereeing development, my monies on George Peat's bringing in someone who has no clue about the game but can easily be controlled by the SFA nuggets.

• Agree 2

What MrCaleyjag said.

I received the same email at home but decided not to send it on. If I had forwarded it at work, then even in my fairly responsible job (teacher) it would have been a reprimand AFAIK, not a sacking offence.

Dallas has no previous history (apart from awarding the odd pen against Celtic FC, which some people appear to think is a capital offence) so a grovelling public apology would have done. Maybe he was offered that but wouldn't take it.

Also, for some reason, any church sanctimoniously demanding that other organisations sack their officials rather gives me the boak.

Isn't it ironic that the Catholic Church call for the sacking of Dallas for forwarding an email, maybe I would be more comfortable with it if the Catholic Church considered taking the same action against their staff that are allegedly guilty of much more serious crimes.

• Agree 5

What MrCaleyjag said.

I received the same email at home but decided not to send it on. If I had forwarded it at work, then even in my fairly responsible job (teacher) it would have been a reprimand AFAIK, not a sacking offence.

Dallas has no previous history (apart from awarding the odd pen against Celtic FC, which some people appear to think is a capital offence) so a grovelling public apology would have done. Maybe he was offered that but wouldn't take it.

Also, for some reason, any church sanctimoniously demanding that other organisations sack their officials rather gives me the boak.

Would that be the wet boak or the dreaded dry boak? I need to know. :tongueincheek:

Isn't it ironic that the Catholic Church call for the sacking of Dallas for forwarding an email, maybe I would be more comfortable with it if the Catholic Church considered taking the same action against their staff that are allegedly guilty of much more serious crimes.

I would in no way want to condone in any way what Hugh Dallas did, which was fundamentally unacceptable and was made even worse by the fact that the message was forwarded from his address at the SFA, a body whose core business (football) is badly affected by sectarianism and the existence of a Catholic - Protestant divide in Scotland.

However Gabby's reference here to the downright criminal activities of a number of Catholic Church staff - which have actually been covered up far more elaborately than any decision of Dougie MacDonald's although that's a separate issue - is spot on.

I think the Bible covers the issue in its story about "motes and planks" in the eye.

Well said Gabby.

Let's not beat about the bush here. Dallas sent out a joke. Was it in bad taste.........

hey, check out Franky Boyle if you think what Dallas did was in poor taste, get a life folks in the real world.

I accept that he should not have sent such an eMail from his works address, but hey, we all like a laugh no...........apparently not. :shrug:

• Agree 1

I accept that he should not have sent such an eMail from his works address,

I think there's a bit more than that to it in this specific case. Hugh Dallas occupied a senior position within the SFA and the Protestant - Catholic divide is (unfortunately) a significant feature of football in Scotland. (I could go on to argue that it is extremely significant but won't digress here.)

Furthermore the email was against the side of that divide subscribed to by many followers of the club which is claiming there is an institutional bias against it within the Scottish game.

That severely aggravated the whole thing.

• Agree 1

I think there's a bit more than that to it in this specific case. Hugh Dallas occupied a senior position within the SFA and the Protestant - Catholic divide is (unfortunately) a significant feature of football in Scotland. (I could go on to argue that it is extremely significant but won't digress here.)

Furthermore the email was against the side of that divide subscribed to by many followers of the club which is claiming there is an institutional bias against it within the Scottish game.

Good post Charles , all that idiot Dallas did was fuel the fire of the paranoid Celts and help them justify their " they're all out to get us " conspiracy theories .

Anyone else wonder how this came to light? It sounds like hugh dallas needs to keep a close on on his friends, as am assuming he didnt send the email on to someone random that he didnt know. Its p1ss poor show that there are some who seem to get off on feeling offended. Too many thin skinned people in this world....unless...it was a stitch up?

Yeah but you know how it is- he forwards it to 6 mates, one of them forwards it to 6 mates and Dallas is still on it.

Aye...thats what i was thinking......even then....who ever checks who has recieved an email before them....certainly not me.....prob a Cellic fan that ratted on him :tongueincheek:

Good post Charles , all that idiot Dallas did was fuel the fire of the paranoid Celts and help them justify their " they're all out to get us " conspiracy theories .

Nobody "fans the flames" of football related sectarianism more than the Scottish Press/Media...and they get a lot of mileage from pandering to the conspiracy claims as well.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that if the problem is as big as the media portrays (on both issues) then it is one which is largely of there making. They'll excuse themselves on the basis that they are merely reporting it as they see it, or come up with headlines such as "revealing Scotland's 'secret' shame" as if they are doing us all a favour by filling the papers with it. In reality, all they do is provide a platform which allows the disease to spread.