FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SNOW PATROL

CaleyD

Looks like we're going to be faced with another snow filled winter.

With 4 of our next 5 games at home the fate of our matches going ahead, in regards to the snow, is in our own hands more than normal and with that in mind the club are keen to compile a list of people willing/able to assist with clearing the pitch and stadium in order to prevent postponements.

We will, of course, post on here the minute we hear about the need for people to clear snow, but it makes it easier to spread the word and let people know if we have some contact details, so if you are able to assist then you can either PM me your details or call the club on 01463 222880 and they will take your details from you there.

Having just spoken to the club, the current situation is that the pitch is looking good under the snow which is preventing it from freezing (at the moment).

According to the Met office there is not a lot of snow forecast for the rest of the week - take that with a pinch of salt (forgive the pun) only very low temperatures, so i presume they (tommy) will leave the snow on as long as possible, in which case its every young/fit fan to the stadium on sat.morning again?

According to the Met office there is not a lot of snow forecast for the rest of the week - take that with a pinch of salt (forgive the pun) only very low temperatures, so i presume they (tommy) will leave the snow on as long as possible, in which case its every young/fit fan to the stadium on sat.morning again?

That seems to be the case at the moment.

Damn...guess that rules me out then :tongueincheek:

With a firmer forecast now in for the rest of the week it's now fairly certain that people will be needed at the Stadium to help clear the snow from the pitch.

I was down there today and the pitch itself is holding up well under the snow. The USH is already on, but only at a level sufficient to prevent frost setting in...it's not going to melt the snow and waterlog the pitch, nor is it going to damage the grass.

Everything, and more, is being done to ensure the game goes ahead and the team can continue it's run of form. Much of the snow was cleared from the stands and walkways around the pitch today and plans are already in place to get the carpark, pavements and external areas cleared ahead of time.

As soon as I know what time the club want/need people there I'll post it here.

Snow clearance was in progress at Dens Park this afternoon - street closed and footballs being thrown/kicked up at the roof of the main stand in an attempt to dislodge the build-up of snow and icicles hanging off the edge. Needless to say they weren't making very fast progress, as the accuracy wasn't up to much.

Heard on MFR this morning that County are looking for volunteers to clear their pitch. Obviously the power of the Web isn't as strong in rural farming communities.

I would have thought they would want to keep the snow on the pitch. It's the only hope they have of a decent period unbeaten this season

Would love to come and help but waiting for a 'Terry Butcher' (knee op)

so in plenty of pain at the minute.

Well done to everyone who is able to help.

Hey! why dont you get an electric buggy, fit a few winter treads and a snow plow.... and bobs yer auntie!!!:laugh:

Does anyone think the game will go ahead? I can see a lot of games being called off in the next 24 hours, due to roads as well as pitches.

I think the game will go ahead as long as the roads remain open for travel from Dundee. Our Tommy isn't groundsman of the year for nothing :twothumbsup:

Does anyone think the game will go ahead? I can see a lot of games being called off in the next 24 hours, due to roads as well as pitches.

I think the game will go ahead as long as the roads remain open for travel from Dundee. Our Tommy isn't groundsman of the year for nothing :twothumbsup:

At the moment, 10:15 am Wednesday, Tayside and Edinburgh are pretty much cut off from the outside world. Heavy snow is falling again in Perth. Trains from Glasgow are terminating at Dunblane. Early morning Glasgow Inverness train is stopped at Perth due to breakdown. A9 north of Perth ok at the moment but ploughs are struggling to keep A90 Dundee / Perth road open. M90 closed at Glenfarg and Forth Bridge.

Forecast for next couple of days in this area is more of the same so DU could well struggle to get up north. I'm hoping for a sudden thaw cos I was planning making the trip on saturday.