FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Lennon / Juanjo

PaderbornCaley

I know the Juanjo incident is way in the past now and i'm sure he's even got over it but it seems that Lennon hasn't. He has a new book out (yes, he can spell!!!) 'Man and Bhoy'. It's such a good book that the Daily Record were giving it away for free a couple of weeks ago. I had no intention of reading it as it does not interest me, however I flicked the pages to the index section to see where ICT are mentioned. Twice, we are mentioned, first of all regarding the 1-0 cup defeat of Celtic when Robbo was in charge and then nearly a whole page on the Juanjo incident.

Obviously for copyright reasons I cannot go into detail word for word and there is no external link, so I will keep it as non-plagiarised as possible. He mentions Juanjo 'poking his head into his face'. The TV cameras did not see it. Fourth official Alan Freeland saw it and the referee rightly sent off Juanjo. 'Juanjo said he didn't touch me - well he would say that wouldn't he?'. He finishes this segment of the book off complaining that the SFA let Juanjo off and 'imagine what would have happened if it was the other way around?'

I've never had any issues with Lennon, other than the Juanjo incident and I have said for the last few years now, that it is forgotten. I know many fellow ICT fans still often bring it up during conversations about Lennon. However, Juanjo was proven innocent and there is no need for Lennon to lie like this in his book. Maybe it stirs things up by me mentioning this topic on here, but as a support we have to stick up for any of our ex players - especially good professionals like Juanjo who is having his name dragged through the gutter again. Many Celtic fans that have read this book and weren't there / didn't see the footbage / were too young will now forever associate Juanjo as a thug. We all know the truth though. He is a skilfull player, who Lennon could not cope with that day and had to cheat to win the match.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 9

I actually admired Lennon and his footballing ability, he rarely lost the ball, won more tackles than he should, and was a calming controlling influence, and one of Celtics better players in my opinion.

However, this has always been stained by the Juanjo farce. Lennon cheated and he and his team got away with it. The SFA knew he cheated, and still they did nothing after they cleared Juanjo.

Last season, he showed his managerial ability, taking Celtic from embaresment on the field to a very very good team. However he was caught believing the conspiracy theories that all non old firm fans know are bull, but suffered unbelievable levels of shocking behaviour towards him. This season he has been a changed man so far, not spouting the bile that others have made him believe.

But then he goes and spoils it all again by lying in his book. I was there, I saw the incident, I know Juanjo didn't touch him. And yet when a fellow countryman ( Lafferty ) copies his move, he would call foul. Cant stand cheats, worse still cant stand cheat who lie, and then continue to lie after cameras prove he lied.

Admit the truth that you cheated

• Agree 3

As far as I'm concerned Lennon is a ****** and could only wish he had half the ability juanjo had

He knew juanjo was a threat in that game and as soon as he had the opportunity he cheated get this ***** out of scotish football hes still causing incidents like this to this day

Presumably the referee would have commented if the video incident was not the full incident !!! The video footage is available (somewhere) and from my recollection the cameras covered the whole incident unless Juanjo is alleged to have headbutted him earlier .... the SPL rescinded the card so basically, Juanjo could sue for defamation if he wanted !

Lennon cheated to get a fellow professional sent off which is quite clearly disgusting behaviour

Trying to lie about it and pass the blame just makes the whole thing worse

There is clear video evidence to show that he was not touched by Juanjo before going down so how he can now claim there was contact is beyond belief

I think the match referee is assumed to have made the right decision unless there is clear evidence that he got it wrong. Which he did.

I had a great side-on view of the incident and there was quite a few inches of daylight between the two players heads. I was so angry about it that I wrote to Martin O'Neill telling him what a cheating, lying ***t his club captain was, but to this day he still hasn't replied :laugh:

if there was any contact (which i honestly dont think there was) then it was in no way sufficient to knock over the self style hard man that Lennon was.

The situation reoccured a few seasons ago when Lafferty went down from Richard Foster's 'headbutt'. Both were equally as shameful however a lot more was made of Laffertys cheating, Lennon definitely got off lighter. Trying to get fellow professionals sent off is inexcusable

I think the match referee is assumed to have made the right decision unless there is clear evidence that he got it wrong. Which he did.

I had a great side-on view of the incident and there was quite a few inches of daylight between the two players heads. I was so angry about it that I wrote to Martin O'Neill telling him what a cheating, lying ***t his club captain was, but to this day he still hasn't replied :laugh:

IIRC I was sitting near you that day. However we were too busy trying to get down the road after the game so we missed Lennon challenging some of our fellow fans to 'come ahead' . Why didn't somebody like Big Stu take him upon it :laugh:

IIRC I was sitting near you that day. However we were too busy trying to get down the road after the game so we missed Lennon challenging some of our fellow fans to 'come ahead' .

Aye, and Lennon can consider himself very lucky I wasn't there at that point....cos I'd have issued him with a strongly worded letter. :lol:

The footage.

It's not the clearest of images, but if you look closely you can see that Juanjo puts his outstretched hand on Lennon. The only possible way he could have stuck the head in him at the same time is if he had a 2 foot long neck.

post-3-0-53219500-1315914195_thumb.jpg

You'll also notice that Juanjo has turned and is walking away when Lennon clutches his face and goes down.

Nobody ever seems to mention that it was a punch/push in the back from Lennon that instigated the stand off.

• Agree 3

Having just watched the footage again there is no way you can tell if juanjo sticks the head in him or not , this is probably why the SFA rescinded the red card as it's inconclusive .

I disagree. It looks absolutely clear that there was no contact. Lennon clearly said someting to Juanjo which caused him to turn and respond close to, but there is no jerking of the head and no associated other body movement which might be expected to go with a head butt. Juanjo's reaction and body language followed by the way he turns away from the incident are entirely consistent with a simple verbal response of "don't be so stupid" or words to that effect. Lennon's reaction comes well after any alleged contact. Lennon cheated at the time and he's lying about it now. Lennon does himself no favours by trying to defend one of the more shameful episodes in his career. Celtic have been embarrassed by ICT on too many occasions for his liking and he is simply trying to tarnish the image of the club by way of retaliation. It's pathetic and my simple message to him is :nanananana:

• Agree 3

Lennon instigated the incident by the push in Juanjo's back; which would oblige any player to turn round and ask him "what the heck was that for, pal?"

Lennon stands up terrorised, expecting Juanjo to make something of it..rub noses or something. Juanjo walks up to him , get's close, flicks out his known-to-be-very-long tongue to give him a tongue lashing but decides instead to lick his face. He realises that Lennon's sweat would be full of venom so he says to himself "Och! to heck with this mularkey, turns away and starts to walk off.

Meanwhile, Mr Lennon, who had a full minute during and after this proceeding to move his head even a fraction of an inch because of the terrible pain inflicted upon his face by the vicious attack, but failed to take advantage of the opportunity due to his total disbelief that little Juanjo could do something so dastardly to a star like him, and could not find his powder-puff to throw at J., is suddenly galvanised into action ....and...oh, shoot,.... youse know the rest... he's a nyaff and that's that. :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...