FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SFA NFL

Rasczak

Interesting news from the SFA. They are considering a new National Football League [1], to replace the SFL and SPL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17733762

I like the quote at the end, "An invitation could be sent to all 42 clubs," he said. "If two or three don't want to come and join the new set up then that is up them." I wonder who the 2 or 3 could be ?

[1] Not to be confused with American Football, though I do like the American system of recruiting players, where the team finishing last in any season gets, in general, some trades are made, the 1st pick of the new players coming through and so there is less dominance by bigger teams.

maybe the revolution is starting ?

I look forward to details of the format, Two divisions of 21 or three of 14 or will it be a select super division of two (old firm only), who knows ? maybe some other ingenious set up.

Whatever the format any New clubs should start in the lowest league dont you think?

Id take it it to be honest. People have complained about the current set up for years and rightly so. It's boring, it's too reptitive and in terms of the top 6 to an extent it makes no sense.

I would welcome a change.

id welcome this

if say 2-3 teams dont want to join then theres clubs with backing behind them elswhere that can join.

perhaps an extra highland team could come into the equation. im sure theres other teams down south that would welcome the chance to join a new football league.

the possibilities of how they could structure this nfl are endless. but if they have any less than 14 team leagues id be hugely disapointed.

id quite like to see them split the the 42 into 3 14 team leaguesand perhaps invite teams from lower leagues throughout scotland to make a 4th division whether they see that as an option i dont know.

id also like to see promotion and relegation play offs i think its a brilliant system whereas you have 2 or 4 teams who get to the play offs via divison 2 and they have a sort of promotion tournament and the winner of this plays the team who finish in the relegation play off position. its the best way get promoted but would be the worst way to get relegated.

this is all hypothetical of course and im abit guilty of getting carried away whenever the future of scottish football comes up but i feel theres alot of potential in our country.

If they can pull it off...and I'm not holding my breath....it would be a good move.

If the usual suspects don't want to join......then they have the option not to join...and can play each other home and away weekly until the telly gets as hacked off with them as we are. As a Celtic supporter (my third preferred team)...I would welcome a week without Neil Lennon's incessant whining.......because he is rapidly putting me off Celtic after fifty plus years of armchair following.

• Agree 2

Sounds very much like what came out from the recent fans surveys done by Supporters Direct which proposes two leagues of 16 (Premier League & Div 1) with a qualifying league of 10 and then regional setup below that.

Copies of the plan are attached and make for worthwhile reading as they go in to detail on the reasons why such a setup would benefit the game, together with information and proposals on how finances should be distributed etc.

I believe there's a fair bit of support within the Scottish Executive for the plan and short term funding could be available to ease the transition.

What is becoming blatantly obvious in all the discussions that have been going on is that everyone agrees that change is needed and some teams are going to have to give up something in the short term to allow that change....but nobody is willing to do that (despite all the lip service they give it).

What the SFA seem to be saying is "If you can't make a decision, then we'll make it for you" and as they can technically pull the rug from under both the SPL & SFL by deeming them not fit for purpose then you have to hope that, if need be, they have the cahoonas to follow through and aren't just blowing hot air.

The_Fans_Plan_Executive_Summary_Final_AG__ASH_19.03.2012.pdf

The_Fans_Plan_Proposals.pdf

The_Fans_Plan_The_Detail.pdf

The_Fans_Plan_The_Problem.pdf

• Agree 1

This could be fantastic news if the real governing body has the balls to deliver.

Ultimately, the power does belong to the SFA. Everything that is of value in our game such as European places, national trophies and the national stadium belong to them. AS CD says, let's hope this isn't just hot hair from a very well known wind machine!

• Agree 1

Its probably just a shot across the bows for the SPL to get their act together. I hope not. A National League is exactly what Scotland needs. I've not read the attached documents yet but I feel that those taking these shots across the bows need to take aim more directly but I fear they just haven't got the ammunition or the will power to pull the trigger.

It all sounds very promising, I have one concern however, that of regionalisation. I just hope there isn't an underlying threat to us Heiland Clubs, that of excluding us from playing with the 'BIG' clubs because of the travel situation.

Maybe I am just a suspicious old Highlander but it was them Lowlanders that supported the clearances :furtive:

As CD says regionalisation is a positive for teams out with the higher end of the game. Any changes to the top structure would be done on merit based on finishing positions in the league and compliance with the laws of the land. Can't believe I'm going to type this but............................I would trust the SFA to get it right!

Appreciate there are many facets of the organisation that need changed but the have a far better track record than the SPL in looking after the game.

• Agree 1