FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

Mo was poor at Well after taking over from Butcher.

Richie Foran as player-manager with Malpas staying as assistant?

Other way round.  :smile:

We are not Motherwell.  Mo is not the same manager he was back then.  To dismiss him because of a poor 12 months or so in charge of another team several years ago is not right.  Terry's first 12 months or so with us were hardly much to write home about.

• Agree 1

I'd be very surprised if Butcher doesn't take Malpas with him, but if he does want the job then I think we should stay well clear. He's had two shots as manager and flopped both times. It's too risky.

Foran is an interesting shout. Butcher has obviously seen the potential himself by passing over team-talks to Richie on occasion.

Guest Mahonio

Where's Paul Cook these days?

Last I remember was that he was at Chesterfield.

Unitef were after him at one point but can't remember when, may have been when Brewster was sacked.

Kevin Macdonald has pedigree and is local but suspect he would not be interested at our wages  .

lets hope we do not end up with Robbo or Christie because they are cheap neither have really performed to any great heights as managers

Mo Maplas with Foran as assistant or even Foran as player/manager with Charlie Christie as assistant (if he would be interested) - clearly RF has the respect of the dressing room and I'm sure he has learned a lot from TB & MM over the years. A young manager such as Hartley or Cameron who have some experience at lower levels could be a useful option. Above suggestion of Barry Robson is another I like again with an experienced assistant - problem is whether the dons would consider him as a player so want a fee.

A bit of a tongue in cheek but Martin Rennie has just been sacked by the Vancouver Whitecaps and he hails from Golspie.

But Martin does not appear to be able to get his backs from passing he ball either sideways to each other or back to one another and seems not to understand that the opposing goal is FORWARD. I hear that an English manager fined his players if they ever passed the ball back, so if we could find him then we could at least interview him couldn't we? :smile:

Nah, I think he is a rather weak figure so probably would not work. And it might take him some time to get his thoughts up to speed on embracing the pace of Scottish football.

A bit early yet to be thinking so far forward perhaps .

A bit of a tongue in cheek but Martin Rennie has just been sacked by the Vancouver Whitecaps and he hails from Golspie.

But Martin does not appear to be able to get his backs from passing he ball either sideways to each other or back to one another and seems not to understand that the opposing goal is FORWARD. I hear that an English manager fined his players if they ever passed the ball back, so if we could find him then we could at least interview him couldn't we? :smile:

Nah, I think he is a rather weak figure so probably would not work. And it might take him some time to get his thoughts up to speed on embracing the pace of Scottish football.

A bit early yet to be thinking so far forward perhaps .

I think you might be referring to the ex-Cambridge manager John Beck, who apparently used to fine defenders if they didn't abide to his rule (they were only allowed a maximum of two touches - one to control the ball, the other to whack it long).  He used to have all kinds of unusual gamesmanship ideas as well (growing the grass long in the corners so the ball would stop dead and supplying opposition teams with rugby balls to train with amongst other things!).

Alternatively, Brian Clough would substitute centre-back who aimlessly booted it long apparently.

What the ICT Board are prepared to pay a manager may not be as much as some clubs but it is a lot more than most of us get paid!  It would be nice to think that there would be at least one high calibre manager out there with the background to do a good job who recognises that the wages on offer are enough for a good life and that what really matters is that this is a club where there is a chance of success and where loyalty to the club will be repaid by support from the Board.  It is just unfortunate that Terry Butcher appears not to be that person.

Guest Mahonio

Stevie Frail was in frame before Butcher got appointed, would he be in frame again?

There will be no shortage of contenders imo but I'd hope they'd make a quick appointment, maybe sometime before next match after International break.

It's still Kenny Shiels or Craig Levein for me though.