FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

Last time round the board were choosing between either Terry and mo or Archie knox I believe.

From what I remember, he was still on the coaching staff at Blackburn at the time and went off the job when he found out he'd have to move to the Highlands!  :ohmy:

Dont be surprised if the board go for another high profile candidate in Henrik Larsson with Foran as an Assistant.

Larsson has done all his coaching badges hand has never hidden his ambition to return to Scotland (of course his eventual aim would be to replace Lennon at Celtic)

ICT would get a guy with world class experience having been at Ajax , Celtic , Barcelona and Man Utd and also has retained his cotacts throughout Europe and would

a name who would attract players to Inverness.

His profile is also fits ICT he's a family guy, his wife is country horsey  type, kids are grown up no school issues and given he is a very wealthy guy money would not be  

his main issue.

Was reading up about Larsson's managerial career there, and apparently he took over a Swedish Division 2 team, and started well, before things kind of went stale in the end.  Apparently he plays a very attacking and aggressive style of football in a 4-3-3 formation.

I could certainly be persuaded over having him as manager.

The best present this week would be for Terry to say he is staying .... However, If he goes, I could be persuaded about Larsson but just not sure about the 4-3-3 formation.

Aron Winter came to Toronto FC promising this very style of football (Ajax style) and it became very evident, very quickly that TFC just did not have the players to cope with a 4-3-3 and that it did not work well in MLS against teams with a more traditional style. He was also too stubborn to modify it. Its a very specific system that requires players with specific abilities and when you are playing other teams who stick to a formation with 4 at the back and 1 or 2 up front it can be a nightmare .... looks good when things are going well, but falls apart if one or two players have an off day or are played out of position ... not convinced it would work in the SPFL.

If we lose our entire management team, I would favour a combo of Robbo/Charlie in the short term unless we already have a candidate lined up that none of us know about (perhaps from the time of the Barnsley rumours). Would not be averse to a Pele return provided his demons are behind him but other than that I have no real idea. A few interesting names trotted out ... and a few I would definitely not want ... like Shiels for example. 

Dont be surprised if the board go for another high profile candidate in Henrik Larsson with Foran as an Assistant.

Larsson has done all his coaching badges hand has never hidden his ambition to return to Scotland (of course his eventual aim would be to replace Lennon at Celtic)

ICT would get a guy with world class experience having been at Ajax , Celtic , Barcelona and Man Utd and also has retained his cotacts throughout Europe and would

a name who would attract players to Inverness.

His profile is also fits ICT he's a family guy, his wife is country horsey  type, kids are grown up no school issues and given he is a very wealthy guy money would not be  

his main issue.

Was reading up about Larsson's managerial career there, and apparently he took over a Swedish Division 2 team, and started well, before things kind of went stale in the end.  Apparently he plays a very attacking and aggressive style of football in a 4-3-3 formation.

I could certainly be persuaded over having him as manager.

Aron Winter came to Toronto FC promising this very style of football (Ajax style) and it became very evident, very quickly that TFC just did not have the players to cope with a 4-3-3 and that it did not work well in MLS against teams with a more traditional style. He was also too stubborn to modify it. Its a very specific system that requires players with specific abilities and when you are playing other teams who stick to a formation with 4 at the back and 1 or 2 up front it can be a nightmare .... looks good when things are going well, but falls apart if one or two players have an off day or are played out of position ... not convinced it would work in the SPFL.

Foran and Draper both have pretty good engines on them and would be box-to-box midfielders either side of Ross (or latterly Polworth) as the deep-lying playmaker in the middle.  I think it could work.

On a candidate having been sounded out already, I heard rumblings during the Barnsley thing, that Ross Jack from Elgin was lined-up to take over with Charlie Christie as assistant, had Butcher left.  Probably nonsense though.

Edited by Renegade

Guest Mahonio

according to STV news Craig Levein, Peter Houston and Paul Hartley are the favourites!

Don't think he said their favourites, he said that they'd be names mentioned as possiblities.

I dont want anyone returning for a 2nd spell short term or long term. It didnt work last time and with such a legacy being left behind it will require a clean slate and a fresh face. 

Whenever an ICT manager leaves, the following names are essentially guaranteed to be touted: Charlie Christie, John Robertson, Donald Park, Barry Wilson etc and the only other regular name I've not heard mentioned so far this time round is Craig Brown!

The only guaranteed thing about them is that it ain't going to be any of them!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Duncan Shearer. Not that I want him, it's just that he has the reserves/U20 team 4 points clear at the top of their league, knows the club and the players, wouldn't cost much etc. There are plenty of clubs who would seriously consider giving someone like that a chance at the helm.

Probably considered too much of a step up though, particularly as his previous record is patchy.

What about someone completely new, though experienced at a higher level? Michael Frontzeck got the sack at St. Pauli this week because he insisted on extending his contract now instead of January. Being a former German international, his record there was quite good and he's used to work with young players. Plus, he said he doesn't want to wait very long for the next job...