FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

How Many Grounds Have ICT Played At?

Renegade

You may remember other threads such as "How many nationalities have played for ICT" and "How many nationalities have played at the Caley Stadium", well here's another in a similar vein.  How many stadiums/grounds have ICT played at?  Are there any in the league system we haven't visited through the years?  How many have we been to that no longer exist?  And of course, where's the strangest place we've played?

We could include friendlies and reserve matches in order to get the number up.  On top of this, are there any prominent stadiums we haven't visited in any capacity?  I think I'm right in saying that we've never played at Meadowbank Stadium in any capacity, unless we played Hibs Reserves there (I think they used that at one time as opposed to Almondvale).

It might be nice to include our own experiences as well.  For me, seeing ICT play Charlton at The Valley in East London was a bit surreal and I doubt I'll ever forget our encaptivating 10-0 win over Muir of Ord Rovers on a pitch next to a bowling green, with Terry Butcher watching from over the fence while stood on a wee grassy verge.

So how many grounds have ICT played at and where have we visited and have not visited over the years?

Edited by Renegade

I was doing a bit of research earlier and in the late 90s we played two Lewis/Harris Select teams, which took place over two days with the first being played at Fivepenny on Lewis, the home of Ness FC.  We won that game 4-0, before defeating another Lewis/Harris Select team 7-1 the following day at Goat Hill Park in Stornoway, home of Stornoway United.

We played in Italy a couple of summers as well.  Don't know what the venue was like, but one was against a Romanian team as I recall and another was bizarrely against the Qatar U20 side!

Edited by Renegade

I was doing a bit of research earlier and in the late 90s we played two Lewis/Harris Select teams,

I mind Mantis telling me he was there, and gave some of the players a lift to see a band in the evening.

My strangest one would be Witton Albion's ground to play Stockport County. we won 1-0 Shane Sutherland :amazed: scored the winner.  We had great craic with Stockports Welsh goalkeeper.

We played in Italy a couple of summers as well.  Don't know what the venue was like, but one was against a Romanian team as I recall and another was bizarrely against the Qatar U20 side!

It was 2006 and 2007 when Charlie was manager. In 2006 there were two games in or around Montecatini near Pisa. I was over there reporting on much of that pre season trip and although I had gone home by the time of the game against what were a bunch of chancers from Romania, I did attend the first game in Montecatini itself against a local side. I forget the details now, but that game set all manner of records - record score (something like 12-0), fastest goal (something like 20 seconds) and smallest crowd (something like 7 non-media spectators in the ground when the game started).

The other feature of the game was that you could only hear two things - the players shouting on the pitch and the locals buzzing around outside on these scooters that sound like demented bumble bees!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

The Denmark games were great, with Alex Macleod, Mee, Zogg, Jim Rendall, Mrs m4tj and a couple of other Scots we met on our travels.

First game was at Nykøbing Falster Alliancen on North Zealand, we lost 2-1 if I remember correctly. Might have been Liam Fox that scored our first goal on European soil.

Middle game escapes me just now.................................

Last game was at FC Nordsjælland, who play at Farum. Morten Wieghorst was the coach at the time, really nice guy and we won 1-0. Only 5 Dots to Farum :smile: Proctor?

My strangest one would be Witton Albion's ground to play Stockport County. we won 1-0 Shane Sutherland :amazed: scored the winner.  We had great craic with Stockports Welsh goalkeeper.

I suppose that you may not remember watching Bristol Rovers in Bath !!

When was I in Bath?  :wink:

Think I'm right in saying that ICT's first ever game in England (and possibly our first ever match outside of Scotland), was in some barracks somewhere against an army XI or something.

I have a recollection that we once played at the Caterick army base but I may well have dreamt it, or was it pre-merger Caley who did that?

I can say withj more confidence though that Caley Thistle's first ever game was away to RAF Kinloss.

I was doing a bit of research earlier and in the late 90s we played two Lewis/Harris Select teams,

I mind Mantis telling me he was there, and gave some of the players a lift to see a band in the evening.

1997 after winning div 3.

Beat the U21 Select 4-0 at Ness FC.

The following night beat the full Select 7-1 at Goathill which is the venue for all Lewis & Harris Cup Finals and other big games. The U-21s were delighted that the senior team conceded more goals than them.

The band was The Saw Doctors and Wayne Addicoat got the 'most pished player' award.