FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT: The Knowledge

Renegade

Presume that was season we scored in every game.

Rene's right again. In the last match v Alloa at home, I was more concerned about that record than winning the game as we had already conceded the title, losing 4-3 to Livi the week before.

With only 6 minutes to go, up popped 'Spider' Stewart to open the scoring and so we had scored in all 36 games.

On the way down the road we overtook the Livi team bus returning from Forfar where they had been presented with the trophy.

I was driving and we sat in front of them for a mile or two. Big Dougie Lynn, in the passenger seat, lazily waved two fingers at them out of the window, and Ray Stewart, sitting in the front of the bus with the trophy, returned the compliment.

Do you think the SFA Compliance Officer would be interested :wink:

Rene's right again. In the last match v Alloa at home, I was more concerned about that record than winning the game as we had already conceded the title, losing 4-3 to Livi the week before.

Not quite the case as I recall. I travelled up for the game in the faint hope of seeing us win the title and wouldn't have bothered for a meaningless end of season game.  I think we were only 2 points behind going into the final day, biut it was always a long shot after the previous week's result.

1-1. From the club's match report:

".......With 6 minutes left a Sheerin corner fell to Stewart on the 6 yard line and he volleyed into the net from a difficult angle. From the restart Alloa stormed upfield and when Fridge failed to hold a Paul Simpson low ball Derek Clark slid it home for the equaliser. The game petered out and the Championship challenge was over. On the plus side Caley Thistle maintained their unbeaten league home record for the season and can look forward to Division One."

According to Ian Broadfoot's book, after ICT's 4-3 defeat/4-0 down after 22 min at Livingston on 1st May 1999, Livi still needed one point to secure the title. In the end they beat Forfar, who had already been relegated, 2-1 so indeed the only significance of ICT's 1-1 draw with Alloa was to complete an unbeaten home record.