Sign in to follow this  
Guest

Daniel Mackay

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Northern_jaggie said:

Aye but here’s the thing, unless you start him how will you know what is good and bad???

All our opinions are speculative so why not try and get a positive result by trying? We’re not saying start him every game and one start didn’t ruin anyone’s career. 

I agree with you ,but in a 442 which I prefer anyway,probably cup game would be the best bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throw him in gotta be brace at some point look at Rashford 17 and scoring in the prem! Whites had a few goals but he's a proper traffic cone up front how bad are our strikers when he's starting ahead of them

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

Throw him in gotta be brace at some point look at Rashford 17 and scoring in the prem! Whites had a few goals but he's a proper traffic cone up front how bad are our strikers when he's starting ahead of them

really glad you are not the manager with your logic 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gregor said:

really glad you are not the manager with your logic 🤣

How do you figure that out pal our strikers are the weak link rest of the teams fine gotta try freshen it up Whites let's say not the best! Imagine us with a Shankland or Dobbie romp the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Was just saying you cant just throw him in without thinking it through,which is why I suggested the cup game for a start in a two up front.Certainly not dropping White and throwing the young lad in replacement as the lone striker.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gregor said:

3 reasons.

1. Why would you bench a striker who has just scored two goals in his last two games?

2 The manager says ,White  is a good platform to work from, and obviously rates him.

3. A player who has been out for weeks with a serious injury very rarely starts in his first week back in squad.

Because despite those two goals White hasn't nearly been as effective as he was against Dunfermline. Also, for one of those goals he didn't really know much about at all. Indeed he passed up an easier chance a few minutes later. Oakley has a better strike rate this season than White and is a better player overall bringing a lot more to the table than White does. That's not to say White doesn't offer us something but I think Oakley is a more useful all round player and a better fit for the team. He's probably our best striker. Finally, I said if Oakley is fit to start. I'm well aware that he's unlikely to start but if he was then I'd have no issue with him being in the starting XI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RiG said:

Because despite those two goals White hasn't nearly been as effective as he was against Dunfermline. Also, for one of those goals he didn't really know much about at all. Indeed he passed up an easier chance a few minutes later. Oakley has a better strike rate this season than White and is a better player overall bringing a lot more to the table than White does. That's not to say White doesn't offer us something but I think Oakley is a more useful all round player and a better fit for the team. He's probably our best striker. Finally, I said if Oakley is fit to start. I'm well aware that he's unlikely to start but if he was then I'd have no issue with him being in the starting XI.

I like Oakley ,rotten he got injured, in fact would really like to see both him and White start in a two up top.

Both players have excellent strike rates this season in league games

Oakley scored 2 goals from 3 starts  (1 goal every 1.5 starts)

White scored 3 goals from 6 starts ( 1 goal every 2 starts)

If they continue these averages both players will be in top five scorers in the championship at end of season.

Edited by Gregor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I like Oakley ,rotten he got injured, in fact would really like to see both him and White start in a two up top.

Both players have excellent strike rates this season in league games

Oakley scored 2 goals from 3 starts  (1 goal every 1.5 starts)

White scored 3 goals from 6 starts ( 1 goal every 2 starts)

If they continue these averages both players will be in top five scorers in the championship at end of season.

White is a target man, Austin is a trequartista.  I think it's the style of play/tactics that have kept Austin and Calder out.  Oakley might be the utility forward.  Either way, need 15 goals from one and 10 from the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Glover said:

White is a target man, Austin is a trequartista.  I think it's the style of play/tactics that have kept Austin and Calder out.  Oakley might be the utility forward.  Either way, need 15 goals from one and 10 from the other.

So would you take Polworth out to play Austin in that role you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, standbydave said:

What's this trequartista, right out of Football Manager that one. Never heard that on MOD

You are right on that one Dave I have never heard that either but Billy Dodds would never be able to get his lips round that one :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gregor said:

So would you take Polworth out to play Austin in that role you suggest?

Might have to from January, anyway Polworth is an enganche 😉.   Austin I had hoped would have been our 15-20 goal player but it looks more like Oakley.  White is good for high balls into the box.  Daniel will have more of a role next season when U18 option is out probably to replace Austin,  out of contract end of  season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again our club doesn't play promising home developed talent enough, we have seen that consistently over the years with only Christie, Ross & Polly ever getting sustained match time. Given our current rate of 1 goal per game, its the right time to try giving something new a try - as said if Danny doesn't play then how does anyone know if he is good enough. Worst case we still don't score goals and can revert back to the status quo - perhaps that might be the boot that some of the more comfortably established guys need to know they have a challenge for positions!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People seem to be forgetting that Daniel started against Dunfermline in the Challenge Cup.  If I recall, he started brightly enough but rather fell out of the game after that.  I feel he is still best used as a impact sub at this stage of his career.  Knocking in goals for the under 18s will give him both game time and confidence, and he will also get valuable experience being part of the 1st team match day set up with regular appearances as sub.  I would worry that giving him a run in the starting XI might just knock the stuffing out of him.  It is all very well to talk about Rooney (W) and Rashford but they are the exception.  It is far more common to see players burst on the scene as teenagers then drift into obscurity.

Our other strikers may not have set the heather on fire but their strike rate isn't bad.  Having been awarded the goal on Saturday, White now has 3 and Oakley 2, both at a rate of roughly a goal every 2 games.  We'd take that at the end of the season.  We've still not seen a lot of Austin but he strikes me as the more composed and natural finisher and could well be the surprise packet of the season.

It's true we haven't scored many goals overall this season but a part of that is the lack of goals from attacking midfield.  Polworth, Walsh, Doran and Calder have just one goal between them.  Calder's not had much game time but we really need more goals from the others.

But back to young Daniel.  He burst onto the scene last year and as a result I think some people's expectations for him for this season are unreasonable.  He is clearly an extremely promising talent but he is far from the finished article.  He needs nurturing and I think the way the manager is handling him is spot on.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

People seem to be forgetting that Daniel started against Dunfermline in the Challenge Cup.  If I recall, he started brightly enough but rather fell out of the game after that.  I feel he is still best used as a impact sub at this stage of his career.  Knocking in goals for the under 18s will give him both game time and confidence, and he will also get valuable experience being part of the 1st team match day set up with regular appearances as sub.  I would worry that giving him a run in the starting XI might just knock the stuffing out of him.  It is all very well to talk about Rooney (W) and Rashford but they are the exception.  It is far more common to see players burst on the scene as teenagers then drift into obscurity.

Our other strikers may not have set the heather on fire but their strike rate isn't bad.  Having been awarded the goal on Saturday, White now has 3 and Oakley 2, both at a rate of roughly a goal every 2 games.  We'd take that at the end of the season.  We've still not seen a lot of Austin but he strikes me as the more composed and natural finisher and could well be the surprise packet of the season.

It's true we haven't scored many goals overall this season but a part of that is the lack of goals from attacking midfield.  Polworth, Walsh, Doran and Calder have just one goal between them.  Calder's not had much game time but we really need more goals from the others.

But back to young Daniel.  He burst onto the scene last year and as a result I think some people's expectations for him for this season are unreasonable.  He is clearly an extremely promising talent but he is far from the finished article.  He needs nurturing and I think the way the manager is handling him is spot on.

Thank you Doofers Dad,one of the best constructed posts on here that Ive seen.

I thought I was watching different games as most of the other posters all saw it differently than myself.

That in itself is ok as its all about opinions, but I Iike the stats too as they back up opinions , so you have given me my sanity back.

 

Edited by Gregor
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Agreed.

I am surprised that Doran hasn't scored more. Not for the lack of trying on his part though.

Polworth's talent is in his assists as he rarely hits the target with shots (not a dig, just a fact). 

Walsh and Calder are more suppliers of crosses, than goalscorers. 

We haven't replaced Tansey with a similar all round ability.  Free kick taking, driving forward and chipping in with goals from midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel is still young and growing. Against physically stronger opposition over a game they can wear him down with the physicality of the game. However, 15 mins of a fresh, fast and keen youngster is much more effective. I would have Oakley as number 1 out of all our options 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stirling Observer said:

Daniel is still young and growing. Against physically stronger opposition over a game they can wear him down with the physicality of the game. However, 15 mins of a fresh, fast and keen youngster is much more effective. I would have Oakley as number 1 out of all our options 

Agree with you re Daniel, but as for no 1 striker actually in league games Austin and White both have better ratio of goals scored in their time with the club than Oakley.

Edited by Gregor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knocking him but while he has played for us he has played what 19/20 games for first team which varies from 5 minutes to 45 minutes or more for the firs team he only has 3 goals. While we have players who have proved they can score on a regular bases in this league and with us, in white, Oakley and Austin. Maybe it would be best for his development he continued as a sub this season and then try and make a move to start games next season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t fancy starting him in the cup game as it’s likely he’ll have Balatoni marking him. Could use his pace later on though.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard on the radio that Edinburgh City have won 12 on the spin in all competitions. We need to field our strongest team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Daniel did ok last night. The formation doesn’t lend itself to his style of play as he was a bit isolated in the wide areas.  He is still developing physically and doesn’t have the strength to take on stronger defenders in a 1vs1 and doesn’t have the pace to win outright in a foot race. That’ll come. He was good at being tenacious when in the challenge and had a few good touches and kept the ball moving.

He does better as part of a duo up top I think. Good to see Robbo experimenting with him and now he will know what Daniel is capable of when starting.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been out of the squad recently due to a hamstring injury. He should return in the Under 18s up match this midweek. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.