Play Off Dates

Gringo

According to the SPFL these are the Play Off dates for that Premier league place.

May

8   Ladbrokes Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg
11 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg
15 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
18 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
23 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
26 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

Question is, how are ICT going to cope with a two leg play off final against St Mirren and the Scottish Cup Final (25th May) against Aberdeen? Three games in four days seems a bit unfair don't you think?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Gringo said:

According to the SPFL these are the Play Off dates for that Premier league place.

May

8   Ladbrokes Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg
11 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg
15 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
18 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
23 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
26 Ladbrokes Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

Question is, how are ICT going to cope with a two leg play off final against St Mirren and the Scottish Cup Final (25th May) against Aberdeen? Three games in four days seems a bit unfair don't you think?

A tight schedule but Livingston did it last season on lower crowds and a smaller budget than us and are already safe in the Premiership.

A tough ask but it can be done, especially if home fans return in decent numbers and good voice for the play offs.

• Like 1

I've never really been a fan of the playoffs for the Premiership and after a long hard season the last thing a team finishing 3rd or 4th needs is to play 6 more games in 19 days to win promotion - that's just ridiculous.

Another example of how the top flight takes care of themselves and how it's weighted towards tv again.

Anyway as Satan says, one step at a time ..........................

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, MrCaleyjag said:

I've never really been a fan of the playoffs for the Premiership and after a long hard season the last thing a team finishing 3rd or 4th needs is to play 6 more games in 19 days to win promotion - that's just ridiculous.

Another example of how the top flight takes care of themselves and how it's weighted towards tv again.

Anyway as Satan says, one step at a time ..........................

If ourselves or ayr or united make it through the playoffs that will be two seasons in a row that it's worked for the championships sides. Remember the sides in the playoff spots are up on confidence the team in 11th in premiership has been getting battered all season so it's pretty even. Plus the extra revenues from gate receipts for these matches helps the coffers. Every little helps.

6 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

A bit premature to be concerned about this. Ross County might lose tonight, Ayr win and Hearts beat us 5-0 Saturday..............however, relegation is now very unlikely. Feet on ground....

I'm sure there's some humor and sarcasm in your reply but I think Gringo's post was for information and purely tongue in cheek at the end.

Ross Co*nty and Ayr don't concern me, their results can be anything, I'm more interested in our own and putting Dunfermline out of sight in order to get a play-off place.

Most of our feet are on the ground but there's nothing wrong with dreaming a little once in a while.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

If ourselves or ayr or united make it through the playoffs that will be two seasons in a row that it's worked for the championships sides. Remember the sides in the playoff spots are up on confidence the team in 11th in premiership has been getting battered all season so it's pretty even. Plus the extra revenues from gate receipts for these matches helps the coffers. Every little helps.

Totally agree with you on this point but doesn't make me agree with the playoffs or the format anymore than I already do.

No matter how the playoffs are set up or how they could be set up, confidence would always be with the Championship side, there's nothing even about the Championship having the play 6 games and the Premiership team having to play 2. 

I'm almost certain, but someone please correct me if I am wrong, that the play-offs for the Championship and League 1 are slightly different and my question is why? If I am correct then I go back to my previous point that it's all weighted towards the Premiership clubs and no one else.

18 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Totally agree with you on this point but doesn't make me agree with the playoffs or the format anymore than I already do.

No matter how the playoffs are set up or how they could be set up, confidence would always be with the Championship side, there's nothing even about the Championship having the play 6 games and the Premiership team having to play 2. 

I'm almost certain, but someone please correct me if I am wrong, that the play-offs for the Championship and League 1 are slightly different and my question is why? If I am correct then I go back to my previous point that it's all weighted towards the Premiership clubs and no one else.

It would only be the teams who finish 3rd and 4th that would play 6 games in the quarter final the winner plays the 2nd place finished in the semi and the final against the 11th placed premiership side. Looking at Dundee st mirren and Hamilton they are there to be taken.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

I think one of the main reasons the Premiership side only play two games is cause the Premiership season finishes two weeks after the Championship season. Championship sides only play 36 games a season while the Premiership side play 38. It's only 3rd place & 4th place that play 6 games while the runners up play 4 games. 

I for one think the play offs are a great addition to the SPFL adds more competitiveness to the Championship especially in the mid table. It also makes the bottom of the Premiership a bit more interesting won't ever forget Hamilton beating Hibs on penalties in the first Play-off final great entertainment.

If it wasn't for the play offs ICT have nothing to fight for in our last run of games neither would Ayr or Dunfermline it would be a pretty boring end to the season. 

Edited by Super Caley Man 94

13 minutes ago, Super Caley Man 94 said:

I think one of the main reasons the Premiership side only play two games is cause the Premiership season finishes two weeks after the Championship season. Championship sides only play 36 games a season while the Premiership side play 38. It's only 3rd place & 4th place that play 6 games while the runners up play 4 games. 

I for one think the play offs are a great addition to the SPFL adds more competitiveness to the Championship especially in the mid table. It also makes the bottom of the Premiership a bit more interesting won't ever forget Hamilton beating Hibs on penalties in the first Play-off final great entertainment.

If it wasn't for the play offs ICT have nothing to fight for in our last run of games neither would Ayr or Dunfermline it would be a pretty boring end to the season. 

The principal reason the Premiership team is effectively given a bye into the final is blatant self preservation.

That said, at least we now have a top tier play off albeit one heavily weighted in favour of the incumbent.

Basically it's the second worst team in the premier playing the second ,third or fourth best team in the championship.

All points to the big team succeeding, but when you look at the likes of Dundee and Hamilton - they've been dodging the drop for years and are primed to go down sooner rather than later.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, MrCaleyjag said:

Don’t think there’s any difference. The only difference is at the bottom of Lge2 where club 42 gets a playoff with the winner of the HL/LL champion, which is even less fair. So, on balance...... no, it’s not ?

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Don’t think there’s any difference. The only difference is at the bottom of Lge2 where club 42 gets a playoff with the winner of the HL/LL champion, which is even less fair. So, on balance...... no, it’s not ?

Difference with league 1 and championship is different. Same with league two and league one.  9th plays 4th, 2nd plays 3rd and the winners play each other. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Difference with league 1 and championship is different. Same with league two and league one.  9th plays 4th, 2nd plays 3rd and the winners play each other. 

Ah right, forgot about that, senior moment ?

19 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I thought that but didn't want to commit with fear of being wrong then being ridiculed lol - thanks for clarifying it.

For me this is a much better way to have the playoffs and I'd go as far to say that the winner of each of these ties should play a one-off final rather than a two-leg affair. That way the most the each team would play is three games and it would focus the national interest better.

Does anyone actually think a team finishing 4th out of 10 places deserves a crack at promotion? It’s benefitting us and certainly makes the season more interesting but surely 2nd playing 3rd and the winner playing 11/9th depending on what league your in would be better. Failing that 2nd v second bottom like it used to be. 

Edited by ICTPAISLEY