FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

No more drawn games?

Gringo

in austria a couple of seasons ago they experimented with an idea which was a little bit better thought out.

in cup games, there would be a penalty shootout at half time, with the winner of that going through should the 90 minutes end in a draw( i like extra time and i like draws).  i think it worked in one of the cups but then austrian football is not the place to be trying to copy anything from

until recently the team who finished second bottom of the top league could get relegated down two divisions while the team that finished last is automatically down one :015:  ...the second relegation team went into a mini group with playoff and relegation teams from other leagues, if they finished in the bottom two then they have to goto the 3rd league.  madness... possible methods of entry into the 'mini league' changed seven season in a row

the spl's view on promotion and relegation is the complete opposite of the austrians thankfully!

i think it was around 01/02 but they even had a cup competition to decided who got promoted to the top league, between the top 4 teams from the second and third divisions, to replace the post season mini league.  the team who finished 2nd in the 3rd division found themselves in the premier league the next season!  after that they scraped it for a slightly less stupid league system, which even awarded points for goal difference aswell as results  :017:

theyve learnt from their cup and league experiments now and have adopted a more straightforward system... football league in england take note!

In the National Hockey League there are always 3 points up for grabs .....

A win in normal time = 3 Pts

A draw = 1 pt each

same as SPL football so far .....

However, if teams are drawing at full time they play a short period of extra-time and then end with a shootout if no-one has won it in extra-time. The winner gets an additional point for a total of 2 with the eventual loser retaining the 1 pt they got for the draw ...... It does seem to work quite well, but not sure I am a fan of it

This idea is absurd and should have been kept under wraps until April 1st. It means that there's a huge swing of six points on the lottery of a penalty shootout. It also leaves no means of proportional reward for two well matched teams.

If they want any change at all, perhaps they could think along the lines of "bonus points" which Scottish rugby uses where you get a bonus point (in relation to four for a win) for scoring more than a certain number of tries or for losing by less than a certain number of points.

To have a penalty shoot to decide league games would, in my opionion, have the effect of the away team putting 11 players in defence (bit like Italy and the Argies do in the World Cup knock-out stages :004:) If they want to make the 'away' side come out and attack more then perhaps having 4 points for an away win would be better. Best thing though is to leave it well alone and play it like it should be, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and bog all for loss.

Why is there incessant need to try and tamper with the laws of a game that has stood the test of time for over 100 years?  :008:

It seems to me that over since the dawn of satellite TV faceless bureaucrats have tried to 'improve' the game we all know and love by implementing stupid rules like this. It's bad enough that football is virtually a non contact sport these days without gash like this being muted  :008:

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

2 points for a single goal win after 90 minutes and 3 points for winning by more than a single goal.  That will encourage teams to actually go out and attack and make the game entertaining and get rid of this "sit back and defend a 1 goal lead" crap.