FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Did Tony Blair play at the Longman?

Just watching Andrew Marr's History of Britain there and I think I caught sight of a clip of Tony Blair playing football against a team of girls in what looked like our strip from around '96-97, on a ground that looked v like TCS. Can anyone confirm? Was this part of the pre-'97 election charm offensive? Or am I suffering from close-season withdrawal and hallucinations? 

yup - it was one year when the labour (or Scottish labour ?) conference was at Inverness I think ..... or it might have been in support of David Stewart in an election campaign .... but he definitely was there .... I am sure "Kind of Blue" might be able to refresh our memories

Yup, was defo Mr Blair at TCS wen it was CS. It was many moons ago and basically photo opportunity for him. If i remeber correctly, he was in goals.

In that case we need cover in goals. Ridgers is still young. So to have the former PM of the UK on the bench would do wonders for our gates, whether he plays or not. I believe he will be free shortly. Break the wages barrier for that one.

Yes TB did have a kick about at the Caledonian Stadium at the start of the 97 election campaign.  His presence did not go down well with arch Tory (and ICT fan) Jock Thornton who wrote a letter to the Courier complaining about the stadium being used for electioning purposes.

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

He went in goals for some shooting practice and actually looked pretty useful. At least as good if not better than Les Fridge.

Is that supposed to be a ringing endorsement of TBs goalkeeping qualities? You could say the same thing after putting an Electrolux fridge in between the sticks (making sure it was unplugged).