FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Better or Worse After Transfers?

Glebeict

On the basis that we

- sold Rankin (1st team regular)

- let Caff go on loan (defensive cover)

- basically told McDonald & Hart they could go

- called the bluff of Tokely, Wyness and Duncan by offering what is alleged to be only average deals

- mentioned in the press that the Wilson and Paatelainen contracts may or may not be renewed

and then signed Imrie who may or may not prove to be a good signing.

I would say we are a lot worse off. The only other good thing is that we did manage to tie up a deal for McGuire too.

The squad is significantly weaker than it was.

I'm very disappointed, I thought there was some kind of masterplan and we'd see a couple of signings yesterday that would improve the first team, not just the squad. I'd like to think we tried a few things but they just didn't come off.

On the bright side, we must have trimmed a fair bit off the wage bill in January.

For now it was important that Black, Fraser and I hate to say this but Marius all stayed through the window.

Rankin was a big blow but the other players Brew wants rid of and the ones hes looked at to replace them with gives me confidence in his ability.

Had we been quicker on Dorrans then it wouldve been a much better window for us, of course he was priced out of our budget so no worries there, forget it and move on.  Imrie could turn out to be another solid pro in the Cowie mold and if he is then he is a much needed addition.

Personally I think we have acted this way as we are practically safe from going down and I suspect that it would be different if we were in sight of the relegation place - I think that getting a Top 6 place is now a bonus - it certainly looks like we have players playing fer next season and I can see BIG changes in the summer.

I'm not too downhearted at all, whilst Rankin managed a few goals last season, he never totally convinced me.

I've seen Imrie once or twice and I've got a sneaking suspicion that he'll be a big success for us.

And whilst I'm sad to see the departure of Caff, I don't think it will be detremental to the team.

We have a smaller squad which brings obvious risks, but it will also give some of the fringe players a chance to step up to the plate, prove their worth and earn new contracts if that is their desire.

We've only lost one 1st team regular during the window, and based on past windows that's a plus for us....and being as we have an abundance of midfielders then it's not as if we've left ourselves short in that department.

We also secured a deal for McGuire in a much needed position and Imrie has the potential to perform in the SPL.

We should never have allowed ourselves to get into the position where we have so many contracts due to expire at the same time, but players who are hungry to get a place in the team and secure a contract will go out on to the pitch and give their all.  What's important right now is that the club keep on top of things over the next couple of months to ensure that they do secure the services of those they want to keep and not leave them hanging in uncertainty so long that they start taking up pre-contracts with other clubs just so as they can secure their future.

I'll predict that Wyness, Duncan, Patti & Hart will all sign new deals with us in the next couple of months.  Rossco is for the off as he no longer wants to be here for various reasons and McDonald will be allowed to leave for free in the summer to move back down south.....no reflection on the guys ability, I just don't think he is settled or suited to the game in Scotland.

In short, nothing has happened during the transfer window which makes us any the weaker for the remainder of the season and our chances of making a top 6 are just the same now as they were on the last day of December.

Guest WynessLegend

Are we forgetting Phil McGuire?

Definitely better.

Rankin had some good games but was too inconsistent for this level.

There's only one Dougie Imrie!

He was, but he was also due to return to the Pars as his loan expired in January.

For what I can gather he's technically still here on loan until the end of the season and we only have a pre-contract with him at this time and he doesn't sign permanently until the summer....although I could be wrong.

The side is weaker but i still think we can get a euro place in the top six.

Alot of fans were sad 2 c rankin go, but i am gald hes gone as i feel he didnt pull his weight for the team and brew was right 2 let him go. He was one of our better players but we can cope without him

P.S. Quote "He will not do well at hibs."

I don't know what 10cc was doing signing the wee man whose feet are too near his erse . I hope we can offload him.

Wyness- had his chance at Hearts. ICT suits him. Sign now Denzil, there aint no queue of cheque book wavers.

Russeldinho - ditto (probably). At a push he might get a grand a week at Falkirk or DUFC but he's better staying here. Live with it Russell.

Rossco - prefer him to stay but if he goes it's his loss. Peterheid? What's the crack with him anyway? Does anybody know? In pre season it was rumoured CC was going to offload him but what now under Brew? Has Bambi nicked his no 2 jumper?

Patti- has potential but for me he's still to cut the mustard in an ICT shirt. I'd keep him but does anybody have the lowdown on who fancies signing him?