Gretna's replacement

Proctor

With the demise of Gretna POSSIBLY on the cards over the next few years. Who would you pick to enter the senior leagues in their place. Remember to consider all aspects of the team you pick. I'm sure for Gretna's sake this doesnt happen but it would be interesting just to see who everyone picks.

I think the Highland League has done pretty well already for teams been taken from there so should look elsewhere. Conversely, maybe they should boot a team out to even numbers up....in that scenario....I vote for County :crazy07: :014:

Clydebank who are revived as a junior club and who now seem much more sound financially than they were in their latter years as a senior club.

If not them, then a club from the borders who would be the last large geographical area without a club in the senior league system.

There is little or no support for football in the Borders.  Gala and the likes attract around 150-200 people for games so you would be voting in another East Striling.  I think you have to look at the likes of Linlithgow who are far better organised than most of the clubs in the 2nd division.  I doubt they would want to join however. 

Even better, admit no one and restructure the leagues with a bigger SPL.  There are to many teams in Scotland anyway so this would be the ideal chance to change things for the good.

If Gretna do indeed go to the wall and East Stirling finish 10th in Div 3 and as a result get kicked out of the senior leagues, I would be in favour of merging the 40 remaining teams into two divisions (like the Dutch league) of 20 then having 2 promotion or relegation spots. Although if the SPL insist on keeping the 12 I would have Spartans in the league or Linlithgow Rose.

If Gretna do indeed go to the wall and East Stirling finish 10th in Div 3 and as a result get kicked out of the senior leagues, I would be in favour of merging the 40 remaining teams into two divisions (like the Dutch league) of 20 then having 2 promotion or relegation spots. Although if the SPL insist on keeping the 12 I would have Spartans in the league or Linlithgow Rose.

I think most fans could live with that, I certainly could. A nice simple structure that means you play each team twice, once at home, and once away, no split, relegation/promotion is straightforward, and you know your complete fixture list at the start of the season.

The big problems would be

(A) persuading the clubs - right now each club is guaranteed 3 home games against the OF with the possibility of another if they finish in the top 6. Thats a fair bit of revenue.

(B) restructuring the governing bodies. Which organisation goes to the wall ? The SPL ? The SFL ? or do we have League 1 as SPL and League two as SFL with the SFA overseeing the cups ? Ideally, I would like to see one governing body for all Scottish teams but again, there are too many noses in the trough for that to happen.

end result ... same old, same old ......

One SPL (top league) then the SFL lower league with the cups running as normal. The scottish cup still including the junior teams.

Since gate revenues are no longer split and most SPL clubs already exsist with one home game against the OF, would this really matter? they are still getting the one game at home they need. Another 8 clubs gaining this would mean more money spread around the game.

most SPL clubs already exsist with one home game against the OF, would this really matter? they are still getting the one game at home they need.

nope. Teams are guaranteed THREE home games against the OF. One year you get 2 home V Rangers +1 away and 1 home V Celtic +2 away. The following year you get 2 home V Celtic +1 away and 1 home V Rangers +2 away.

If you make the top six, you usually get a second home game against the OF team you only played once at home. With TV, gate receipts, hospitality etc, the income is significant.

I agree with Govan Jaggie. The weakness of the Borders case was cruelly exposed in 1993-94 and I don't think things have got any better.

To what extent would the restoration of Clydebank be no more than a Weegiecentric romantic gesture? Have they not already used that one up with Airdrie Utd?

Spartans seem to be a good going club.

As far as the Highland League is concerned, there's a lot of money sloshing about at its eastern end (just take a look at the table these days). Inverurie came in to replace was it Peterhead or Elgin (?) and have done very well quite quickly. They're a well run and well resourced club - I remember when Wick got in in 1994, Inverurie put up a strong fight and were very disappointed not to make it at that point. However I have to take SMEE's point that the HL have done pretty well so far (and deservedly so.)

Not a snowballs chance in ****.

Self preservation see....