FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Romanian Squad announced for Euro 2008

Scotty

Source: Reuters

BUCHAREST (Reuters) - Romania coach Victor Piturca dropped Dinamo Bucharest striker Florin Bratu on Wednesday when he named his final 23-man Euro 2008 squad.

He had already sent home injured midfielder Ovidiu Petre, goalkeeper Danut Coman and uncapped midfielder Ciprian Deac from his provisional squad for the June 7-29 tournament.

Experienced 28-year-old Bratu had been in good form for his club at the end of the domestic championship but Piturca decided to leave him at home, according to the announcement on the Romanian soccer federation Web site (www.frf.ro).

Midfielder Florentin Petre backed the decision, telling media: "I'm so sorry for Bratu but he must understand that Piturca's strategy probably meant he had to leave him at home."

Bratu's omission suggests a return to a more defensive system, a successful strategy in the past for the counter-attacking Romanians.

Romania, whose last qualification for a major event was at Euro 2000, are in Group C with France, Italy and the Netherlands.

Petre said: "We have all lived through bitter times watching our opponents playing on TV.

"The worst was that we failed to reach the (major) finals three times in a row, but not because we played worse than our opponents."

Fellow midfielder Razvan Cocis of Lokomotiv Moscow said: "We want our play to offer fans the opportunity to celebrate our success on the streets, like they were doing when Gheorghe Hagi was playing."

At the 1994 World Cup, Romania, led by Hagi, reached the quarter-finals.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: 1-Bogdan Lobont (Dinamo Bucharest), 23-Eduard Stanciou (CFR Cluj), 12-Marius Popa (Poli Stiinta Timisoara)

Defenders: 2-Cosmin Contra (Getafe), 15-Dorin Goian (Steaua Bucharest), 14-Sorin Ghionea (Steaua Bucharest), 4-Gabriel Tamas (Auxerre), 17-Cosmin Moti (Dinamo Bucharest), 13-Cristian Sapunaru (Rapid Bucharest), 3-Razvan Rat (Shakhtar Donetsk), 22-Stefan Radu (Lazio);

Midfielders: 5-Cristian Chivu (Inter Milan), 6-Mirel Radoi (Steaua Bucharest), 7-Florentin Petre (CSKA Sofia), 8-Paul Codrea (AC Siena), 20-Nicolae Dica (Steaua Bucharest), 16-Banel Nicolita (Steaua Bucharest), 19-Adrian Cristea (Dinamo Bucharest), 11-Razvan Cocis (Lokomotiv Moscow);

Forwards: 10-Adrian Mutu (Fiorentina), 9-Ciprian Marica (VfB Stuttgart), 21-Daniel Niculae (AJ Auxerre), 18-Marius Niculae (Inverness Caledonian Thistle).

Brilliant!  The last nagging little doubt removed so now I'm looking forward to supporting Romania wholeheartedly.  Hope we are going to be able to watch their matches somehow on TV here.

All the games are on BBC and ITV.

I'll be on a residential week with the school from the 9th onwards, so will prob miss the first 2 games  :020:

Sky+ will have to do!

Methinks I might buy a Romania shirt now!

Cue the sports question being asked in pub quizzes all across the country for the next month:

Q: Which two SPL clubs have players competing in Euro 2008?

A: Celtic and Inverness

And cue lots of Central belt football fans arguing that "that f****** answer can't possibly be right, ya dobber!"

World Soccer magazine has their lineup as:

Lobont

Contra

Goian

Tamas

Rat

Cocis

Chivu

F. Petre

O. Petre

Mutu

Marica

However Ovidiu Petre is now out, so I think Cristea may fill in.  Alternatively, Mutu could come into the hole with Nicolita on the wing.  Or I might dare to dream that Marius might be considered for Petre's position.

Anyone with more knowledge of these things want to hazard a guess at what they think Romania's starting eleven will be?

Not sure but Marius hotly tipped in Romanian press to start the first game, Romanian manager was quoted on tv tonight that they were delighted with Marius's level of fitness. 

Marius Niculae a ajuns la un nivel fizic bun, a demonstrat in meciul cu Rusia, el este un jucator pe un alt profil, un atacant puternic, buldozer, am nevoie si de jucatori de genu asta.", a spus Pi?urc?

Translated quote from Piturca Romania coach

Marius Niculae is in great physical condition, as demonstrated in match with Russia, he is a forward with different qualities, a strong forward, a bulldozer, I need a player like him in my side now

Stevico1, what is your link to Marius?

Internet minder.  :001:

Marius Niculae a ajuns la un nivel fizic bun, a demonstrat in meciul cu Rusia, el este un jucator pe un alt profil, un atacant puternic, buldozer, am nevoie si de jucatori de genu asta.", a spus Pi?urc?

Translated quote from Piturca Romania coach

Marius Niculae is in great physical condition, as demonstrated in match with Russia, he is a forward with different qualities, a strong forward, a bulldozer, I need a player like him in my side now

Is yon Piturca **** on drugs or what ?