FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Denmark trip thread

RossP

My Montrose supporting mate really rates Garry Wood and thinks he could be a success in the SPL. At the Ross County game I was really surprised to see how much he'd grown in height since last summer; and he wasn't afraid to use that height in attacking the *sigh* long balls from defence.

Perhaps this is why Brewster let Bayne go, as Garry Wood could step into the hardworking target man role?

Glad it's another positive result on the road

I was impressed by Wood's presence in the box at the County friendly last pre-season, and if he's grown physically and in confidence since then then he could be really useful, but Ross's point here also worries me. Given Brewster's recent comments about the quality of our midfield, I'd hoped he had decided to move beyond the long ball tactic, and Rooney, if signed, sounds like a player more comfortable with the ball played on the deck. It would a serious backward step if we set out this season with a long-ball tactic based around a target man - not only is it predictable and easy to defend against, it would also frustrate our more creative midfielders and make them far less effective when they are asked to take control of a game. We have to build the team around Black and Cowie this season - if they move on after that, I'd rather it was because they had had outstanding seasons than because they felt they weren't being properly utilised in the Caley Thistle team.

All that said, 1-1 sounds like a decent result against a Danish Sueprliga side.     

Guest Mahonio

I was wondering what time the Pre-season match at Herfolge started and if it is over what the score was?

I have not heard anything so i assume it hasn't started yet.

Mahonio, I merged your topic to keep all on one thread. Alex

Drew 4-4 with Herfolge today.  We were 3-1 down with 10 mins to go until RORY SCORED A HAT-TRICK including what looked like the winner in 90mins. However we then blew it by conceding deeper into injury time.  The other scorer was Adam Rooney which makes it 2 goals on tour for him. Big Lionel Jibby Jabby scored an O.G. - I don't think it will be his last either.

Herfolge official site!

Well done on the hat-trick but lets not get carried away ... remember Dean McDonald scored 4  in last year's pre-season and then scored freely in the reserves after that only to fall right out of the picture !!!

On a positive note, maybe Rory (and the others) will fight hard for a starting spot knowing that they have more chance this season if they do well. Last year any of the youngsters would have been behind Niculae, Wyness, Bayne and even Brewster (before his injury) in the pecking order and that might have de-focused them somewhat ... but this season there doesnt appear to be a cast-iron starting pair (yet) and the spots are up for grabs. They say if you are good enough, you are old enough, and now its up to these ladsto prove that they are.

TBH. I am more concerned about our defensive frailties

Bit of work to do on the defence methinks.

Well done again Rory for the hat-trick. :clapping03:

The penny feckin drops eh ?

Dont matter a toss what mannie thinks,  its whether Brewster has the brain cells to realise that Mcguire is pysh, and Hastings cannot play for us in the middle.

The penny had dropped a long time before Dods had left.  We have never replaced him, but thats for another thread.

Look at the line up for yesterdays friendly game, some first choice defenders missing surely, no Grantie or Rossco and Hastings out of position.  Fairly settled midfield and Barrowman drawing a blank is lso worrying.

Starting Line Up

Fraser

Proctor, McGuire (Duff 70 mins), Hastings, Djebi-Zadi

Cowie (Wilson 45 mins), Duncan (Gillespie 45 mins), Black (McBain 45 mins), Imrie (Vigurs 45 mins)

Barrowman (Wood 55 mins), Rooney (McAllister (55 mins)