FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Arbroath

Guest birdog

in a one of cup game it is rare that anyone pumps anyone else, particularly away from home

Arbroath 2-2 Inverness CT

Ayr 0-1 Aberdeen

Brechin 0-2 Kilmarnock

Hearts 0-0 Airdrie Utd

Cowdenbeath 1-5 Dundee Utd

Dundee 1-2 Partick

Dunfermline 1-0 Alloa

Hamilton 3-1 Clyde

Hibernian 3-4 Morton

Livingston 2-1 St Johnstone

Raith 1-3 Falkirk

St Mirren 7-0 Dumbarton

A couple of pumpings in this round !!! Bottom line though, however ugly it was, we are through.

As I said it is rare.

Aberdeen only just scraped through against a team from the same league as Arbroath, while arguably the two biggest teams in this round crashed out, despite both playing reasonably well at this time.

And if you really want to be pedantic, St Mirren and Dundee Utd were playing sides from the third division, and both SPL sides in those games unlike ourselves put out full strength squads.

And there in lies the problem, we have a manager who is willing to take needless risks which, tonight, could so easily have gone wrong.

Like I say, BREW NEEDS TO SORT IT OUT!!!!! Otherwise we're fecked.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And there in lies the problem, we have a manager who is willing to take needless risks which, tonight, could so easily have gone wrong.

Thought you said that our under-19s should be capable of beating a team from the lower league. Which by the way they did, with Arbroaths two goals coming from a deflection and a dodgy penalty.

As I said it is rare.

Aberdeen only just scraped through against a team from the same league as Arbroath, while arguably the two biggest teams in this round crashed out, despite both playing reasonably well at this time.

And if you really want to be pedantic, St Mirren and Dundee Utd were playing sides from the third division, and both SPL sides in those games unlike ourselves put out full strength squads.

Fair enough - i tend to agree with you anyway. As I said somewhere at the top of this thread I believe it was the wrong team to put out and we made the mistake of underestimating the opposition. The young boys do need games, but I am not convinced they should all start the same game !!!! Perhaps one on from the start with another couple coming off the bench if/when we are comfortably ahead. Anything else, unless forced upon us by injury is folly.

Luckily (very luckily considering it went to penalties), we are through, it wasnt pretty but we are through. However, after re-reading much of this thread, I also agree with IHE (thats half a dozen times in 2 days :rotflmao: ) when he makes the point about finances and cup runs ...... tonight could have cost us a few quid if we didnt win the penalty shootout so Brew should be thanking all those who scored and Ryan Esson for making pretty much the first penalty save since Jimmy Calder was between the sticks !

As I said it is rare.

Fair enough - i tend to agree with you anyway. As I said somewhere at the top of this thread I believe it was the wrong team to put out and we made the mistake of underestimating the opposition. The young boys do need games, but I am not convinced they should all start the same game !!!! Perhaps one on from the start with another couple coming off the bench if/when we are comfortably ahead. Anything else, unless forced upon us by injury is folly.

Luckily (very luckily considering it went to penalties), we are through, it wasnt pretty but we are through. However, after re-reading much of this thread, I also agree with IHE (thats half a dozen times in 2 days :rotflmao: ) when he makes the point about finances and cup runs ...... tonight could have cost us a few quid if we didnt win the penalty shootout so Brew should be thanking all those who scored and Ryan Esson for making pretty much the first penalty save since Jimmy Calder was between the sticks !

I would have played a stronger side myself, let them get a few goals and throw on the youngsters.

However, a few have been saying over the last few weeks that it was about time Garry Wood and Ian Vigurs were thrown in at the deep end and given a full game, what better oportunity then tonight to do so. As for the rest of the squad, with the exception Djebdi-Zadi thats just about full strength anyway.

Guest birdog

Thought you said that our under-19s should be capable of beating a team from the lower league. Which by the way they did, with Arbroaths two goals coming from a deflection and a dodgy penalty.

Our u19s probably would because Brewster would not be picking the team or deciding on tactics but lets forget the ifs, buts or maybes at the end of the day we could not beat Arbroath over 120 minutes and as far as I am concerned (and reading the comments from a few other posters i am not the only one) it is a disgrace and unacceptable especially when it has been stated from within the club that cup runs are essential to our finances. Penalties are just about as much of a lottery as tossing a coin and should be avoided wherever possible.

It seems we will not agree on this one. I have said before I hope to **** you are right but at this time I cannot see it. When I do see how right you are you will have my full and frank apology.

Our u19s probably would because Brewster would not be picking the team or deciding on tactics but lets forget the ifs, buts or maybes at the end of the day we could not beat Arbroath over 120 minutes and as far as I am concerned (and reading the comments from a few other posters i am not the only one) it is a disgrace and unacceptable especially when it has been stated from within the club that cup runs are essential to our finances. Penalties are just about as much of a lottery as tossing a coin and should be avoided wherever possible.

It seems we will not agree on this one. I have said before I hope to **** you are right but at this time I cannot see it. When I do see how right you are you will have my full and frank apology.

I am always right :rotflmao:

Guest birdog

I am always right :rotflmao:

Excellent!!! I can finish my beer and get an undisturbed sleep now. :thumb04: Night mate, night night all.

Just home from the game. I can confirm that we won (just how vitriolic would this thread be if we hadn't?)), but there were sighs of relief all round.

Thimgs started well : the pub was fine, fish & chips excellent, and smokies braw. Then we went to the game.

We did actually start quite well, and to be honest looked very comfortable at half time, no concerns at all. Excellent, composed goal from Vigurs (with his family there to watch), cancelled out immediately by a shot from the edge of the box that deflected off Duff's challenge and looped over the keeper.

Wood turned and poked home a loose ball to put us in front, and despite a deterioration in perfomance we still looked more likely than Arbroath to score again. Barry almost did, ghosting past 3 defenders along the edge of the box before forcing the keeper into a good parry. Most unexpected moment of the game was when Djebi-Zadi lauched himself into an overhead kick from 20 yards, made good contact and got it on target.

The pairing of Wood and McAllister (Rory, oh dear oh dear) had been ineffective all game, and I thought replacing them with Rooney and Barrowboy would finish the game off, but they weren't much better. Barrowman did nothing, other than get booked for kicking the ball away and then get a second yellow after the brawl. Worrying.

Arbroath kept pushing forward and had a half decent penalty claim turned down, but then got awarded one when they clearly shouldn't have. An Arbroath fan I was talking to at the end admitted it was never a pen, but was adamant that the first claim should have been given.

All through extra-time we were just terrible, truly awful. Teamwork, shape and discipline were poor, and Rossco did not contribute much in the way of leadership.

Looking for positives :

1) All 4 penalties were very well taken

2) Vigurs did well

3) Couldn't fault Esson, who made a couple of good saves

4) Black and Wilson showed their class

Negatives :

1) Nothing upfront

2) McGuire and Duff each failed to deal with a simple through ball and let a player through on goal each time

3) Some very erratic passes/crosses from Zadi. A simple 10 yard pass under no presuure nearly went into the North Sea.

All in all, we all felt lucky and relieved to have made it through that one.

Edited by Yngwie

Guest smokiesandwine

Good game, not to bothered about losing tbh, we need to concentrate on league survival.

Wood is still as sh!te as he was for Montrose though.

Edited by smokiesandwine

Im happy to be through but Jesus!, has CB not learned that fielding a weakend team against lower opp is a recipie for disaster...Do we really have that arrogance to expect a win against a 2nd Div team..

Mr Brewster...learn a footballing lesson.

Perhaps Arbroath fielded a weak team expecting a humping and are now kicking themselves.

Guest birdog

Just home from the game. I can confirm that we won (just how vitriolic would this thread be if we hadn't?)), but there were sighs of relief all round.

Thimgs started well : the pub was fine, fish & chips excellent, and smokies braw. Then we went to the game.

We did actually start quite well, and to be honest looked very comfortable at half time, no concerns at all. Excellent, composed goal from Vigurs (with his family there to watch), cancelled out immediately by a shot from the edge of the box that deflected off Duff's challenge and looped over the keeper.

Wood turned and poked home a loose ball to put us in front, and despite a deterioration in perfomance we still looked more likely than Arbroath to score again. Barry almost did, ghosting past 3 defenders along the edge of the box before forcing the keeper into a good parry. Most unexpected moment of the game was when Djebi-Zadi lauched himself into an overhead kick from 20 yards, made good contact and got it on target.

The pairing of Wood and McAllister (Rory, oh dear oh dear) had been ineffective all game, and I thought replacing them with Rooney and Barrowboy would finish the game off, but they weren't much better. Barrowman did nothing, other than get booked for kicking the ball away and then get a second yellow after the brawl. Worrying.

Arbroath kept pushing forward and had a half decent penalty claim turned down, but then got awarded one when they clearly shouldn't have. An Arbroath fan I was talking to at the end admitted it was never a pen, but was adamant that the first claim should have been given.

All through extra-time we were just terrible, truly awful. Teamwork, shape and discipline were poor, and Rossco did not contribute much in the way of leadership.

Looking for positives :

1) All 4 penalties were very well taken

2) Vigurs did well

3) Couldn't fault Esson, who made a couple of good saves

4) Black and Wilson showed their class

Negatives :

1) Nothing upfront

2) McGuire and Duff each failed to deal with a simple through ball and let a player through on goal each time

3) Some very erratic passes/crosses from Zadi. A simple 10 yard pass under no presuure nearly went into the North Sea.

All in all, we all felt lucky and relieved to have made it through that one.

Are you sure about this? Because it seems to be in contrast to what Chris123 says and he is "always right".

Guest lichtie

Perhaps Arbroath fielded a weak team expecting a humping and are now kicking themselves.

Not quite. :rotflmao: Our changes were enforced in the main.

Edited by lichtie

in a one of cup game it is rare that anyone pumps anyone else, particularly away from home

Arbroath 2-2 Inverness CT

Ayr 0-1 Aberdeen

Brechin 0-2 Kilmarnock

Hearts 0-0 Airdrie Utd

Cowdenbeath 1-5 Dundee Utd

Dundee 1-2 Partick

Dunfermline 1-0 Alloa

Hamilton 3-1 Clyde

Hibernian 3-4 Morton

Livingston 2-1 St Johnstone

Raith 1-3 Falkirk

St Mirren 7-0 Dumbarton

A couple of pumpings in this round !!! Bottom line though, however ugly it was, we are through.

As I said it is rare.

I fully expected the Brewster out brigade to have a field day with this one, but try as they might things just aren't that bad. A new centre back is all that is required to complete the team, and we all know that Brew is working on that, while we have taken 4 points from our opening SPL games, despite Christie managing none for 6 last season. For some things will never be good enough, however I have seen enough to tell me that Brewster is looking at the bigger picture and has plans to take ICT to the next level.

Christie left after 3 games!

I'm not sure Brewster underestimated the opposition. The team he picked should have been able to win the game. Maybe the players should shoulder the blame on this occassion

Edited by kencar

What an excellent performance by Arbroath last night, compared to ours which was dismal to say the least. When CB eventually made the changes and put on Barrowman and Rooney with imrie I thought this will make a difference. Oh no , they were garbage and just as bad as MacAllister and Wood. On this performance it's going to be a long season and we must be favourites for relegation. On another note our discipline needs to be sorted out with Barrowman and Imrie picking up needless bookings.

What Yngwie said. The pub and the harbour and the smokies and all that stuff. They even let me out at half time and I went up the hill and took photies of the wee ground all lit up.

Also the Courier article is spot on.

Also it was a right good cup tie and you couldn't grudge Arbroath if they had won.

Glad Yngwie got in first and saved me writing all the same stuff. However I felt that we were fine up till Vigurs scored and then the players thought the game was won. As everybody knows it's hard to get the intitiative back in a game once you've lost it. We did have loads of chances to win it in the 90 though and then Barrowboy hit the bar in ET.

We've got used to being the underdogs over the years and now the boot's on the other foot when we draw lower division teams.

In the car going back home we were wondering what team will be playing against Falkirk. We heard that Vigurs is carrying an injury and misses the game. We desperately need Russeldinho and Granty back in the team.

The Good - My MoM (and that of the sponsors) was Barry Wilson. Legend. Playing on the left, encouraging all the youngsters and showing a bit of pace too - where's he been hiding that recently? Plenty of promise from Vigurs and Duff too. Blackie. Esson. Rossco (even though his first 4 passes went astray). Very professional penalties.

The Bad - I'm extremely worried about the season. I think the bottom of the table will be a real scrap this year with no Gretna to take the worries away. Apart from Aberdeen I've seen no evidence that we can cope. Has anybody considered that maybe Aberdeen and Hibs are poor sides anyway?

We could be getting to play teams like Arbroath sooner than we think. I do think Hamilton will run out of steam like most promoted teams (except us, we usually start bad and get better) and I'd like to see what St Mirren and Falkirk are like.

Barrowman - did he come with a guarantee? Can we get a refund before it's too late? Booked twice against a div 2 club and neither of them simply for fouls. Punt him.

Imrie? Even the Arbroath fans can spot class (or the lack of it). Lost his head and got booked.

Rooney? - a bit worried about his lack of pace. Difficult to tell if he's any good as he's getting no service at the mo, but not sure if he is showing for the pass anyway.

McGuire? Obviously the Arbroath players and fans were noising him up as they know him from his Aberdeen days. I thought he might walk after both teams re-enacted the battle of the Somme in the middle of the park. Still not seen anything to convince me.

Lionel? A bit erratic. Still struggling to decide whether he adds to the team.

Garry Wood? I've been impressed but I thought he was poor last night.

Rory? Don't get me started.

Edited by The Mantis

Thanks for the link birdog.

However I felt that we were fine up till Vigurs scored and then the players thought the game was won.

They thought it was won with a 0-1 score after 18 minutes??? Did they really think Arbroath were just going to lie down? :thumb04:

I can hardly wait for the Falkirk game :rotflmao:

What I just don't get, is who were the team playing the Liverpool XI? Why were we so good then, but so bad when it matters?

Everyone is moaning about fielding the youth team yet only Vigurs Wood Rory and Duff came from that really with Duff going to start anyway.

Esson was undoubtably going to play and was a good call to keep mike on his toes. Djimi Zabi whatdoyoumacallem was also a likely starter to test him out - may have to do a resit by the sounds of it.

Tokely Duff Maguire, Black, Cowie have all started the last three games with exception of Duff in just last two games.

Wilson is vastly experienced so again no one should have problems starting him, especially against a 2nd division side.

I do feel it was an error playing Wood and Rory together in a competitive game like this irregardless if they have a good understanding in the reserves. Rooney or Barrowman should have started. In fact Rory seemed to play well with Rooney on tour.

Lest us not forget Rangers went there a while back (in modern era) and struggled so its a hard cup place to go to.

Lets not dwell on it. Get the weekend out the way with a good result and look forward to the international games.

Its just like when we were a little team having the audacity to play well against a big team, the wee team players played out of their skin and this will get results..not all of the time just now and then there will be a shock and EVERY big has had that shock.

Do all you Mr Negatives think that Hearts or Hibs would not like to get through on penalties?

Anyway, am i right in thinking that Essons penalty save is our first save for a hellofa long time? cant even remember when it was, Maybe Broonie in a cup match?

My player ratings :

Esson 7

Rossco 6

Duff 6

McGuire 6 (actually played very well apart from 1 mistake letting them through on goal)

Djebi-Zadi 6 (Good strong running up and down the pitch all night, gets past players. Some laughable final balls)

Wilson 7 (Class act. Other players missed opportunities to send him clear)

Vigurs 6 (Composed performance, good passing, 2 of his 3 backheels worked out well, but not physical enough)

Black 7 (Ran the midfield, never wasted the ball)

Cowie 5 (Complacent performance)

Wood 4 (Looked out of his depth, easily dealt with)

Rory 4 (Same as Wood, but was involved in the game a bit more. Swiped fresh air from 12 yards out, and failed to control a terrible kick-out from their keeper. Only 4 days left to find someone who will take him. Arbroath wouldn't.)

Subs :

Imrie 5 (Stupid yellow, ran to the home fans after scoring his penalty)

Barrowman 3 (2 stupid yellows and a generally disgraceful performance.)

Rooney 6

Lot of fuss about nothing. The Edinburgh clubs, our national capital, have both been knocked out and the history books will show that Inverness are in the next round. When did we get this big club mentality..........we should have hammered them............... We are poor at being favourites. Arbroath gave us a fright, enough said. Positives fom last night already mentioned by those at the game, nothing new in the negatives either.

Barrowmans red card is disappointing and the performances of Cowie and Imrie will need to be worked on. Some of last nights changes were forced on us, with Proctor, Duncan and Munro injured. Jimmi Jabbi will need to be careful. Black is one of the few constants we have had so far this season and simply oozes class. Vigurs is the one to make an impact again, and Duff seems to have impressed also. Esson given a start, as was Zibi last season in this competition. The only real alteration that the manager should have made was splitting the young strikers with either Rooney or Barrowmanoff.

The bottom line is we are in the next round. It's only the league cup, a competition that a lot of clubs can do without.