FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

George Burley

BornCaley

With the game tonight, it got me wondering

Ive seen GB in the crown at many a Central Belt team game, but has he or his drones ever watched ICT for potential players. Surely the longer we are in the SPL; some of our players must be given the chance to pull on that dark blue strip.

I know Messrs Black & Mcallister have appeared for the Future or U21 squad, but are ICT ignored for Geographical reasons or are our players just not good enough

BC

Until George Burley became manager SPL players were generally ignored unless they played for Celtic, Rangers or Hibs. But i think most players that are well touted by their clubs are capable of cracking it at international level, David Clarkson for example has already shown that and Darren Barr as well.

I don't think it's for geographical reasons...perhaps in their eyes a lack of quality or consistency may'be. But up until about last year Black was playing well but his lack of self control was getting him down severely, we may see a more mature player in Black....we've already seen what the composed Black is capable of...lets see if he can get any better.

two players that could be good enough with a couple more seasons playing first team could be iain vigurs and duff. then again they might not even be caley players in a couple of years. vigurs played under 19 scotland and i think duff might have done.

If you were gorge then what caley player would you put in the team?

well its tuff, but maybe don cowie, but hopefully the young lads will progress well enough to maybe get a call up sometime in their career. its really tuff to say though. its always gonna be hard for ICT players to get a shout in when it seems only central belt teams exist when it comes to international selection.

Don Cowie, starting for Scotland 1st team! Are you having a laugh?! He is good for us cause we have a very average team!

No-way would any ICT player get in the current Scotland squad, but I do agree that Vigurs will be in with a shout in the future if he leaves us and fulfils his full potential.

Great result tonight for the mighty Scots.

Don Cowie, starting for Scotland 1st team! Are you having a laugh?! He is good for us cause we have a very average team!

No-way would any ICT player get in the current Scotland squad, but I do agree that Vigurs will be in with a shout in the future if he leaves us and fulfils his full potential.

Great result tonight for the mighty Scots.

i was asked if i HAD to choose...that would be my choice from the caley team...not that i would because your right...

as for vigurs your spot on there...the boy has limitless potential...

but are ICT ignored for Geographical reasons or are our players just not good enough

the last one.

I don't see why people keep raising this subject. Kilmarnock are joint top of the league yet would you really like to see any of thier players even in a Scotland squad?

None of our players are worthy of being in the Scotland squad at the moment. End of.

It's nonsense to tip any player as a star of the future, you can never tell how they will develop.

Wasn't so long ago ICT fans were talking up Scott McLean as a future international. More recently Blackie was being hyped up as a premiership superstar in the making lol. How about Brian McLoughlin at celtic, Sandy Robertson at Rangers, or Burke and Bagan at Killie? :rotflmao:

Good young players don't necessarily go on to become great players. Some never really get any better, some go backwards (Jason Young one time Livi's star player, now in the juniour leagues)

On the other side of the coin you have late developers, solid players who don't particularly stand out in their early years but keep improving; Craig Brewster didn't become a professional footballer until his mid twenties, Billy Dodds earning a move to rangers late on in his career is another good example.

How a player develops probably has more to do with their work ethic and IQ than with their natural ability.

but are ICT ignored for Geographical reasons or are our players just not good enough

the last one.

I don't see why people keep raising this subject. Kilmarnock are joint top of the league yet would you really like to see any of thier players even in a Scotland squad?

None of our players are worthy of being in the Scotland squad at the moment. End of.

Poor example. I would take Alan Combe over Jamie Langfield anyday.

It's nonsense to tip any player as a star of the future, you can never tell how they will develop.

Wasn't so long ago ICT fans were talking up Scott McLean as a future international. More recently Blackie was being hyped up as a premiership superstar in the making lol. How about Brian McLoughlin at celtic, Sandy Robertson at Rangers, or Burke and Bagan at Killie? :rotflmao:

Good young players don't necessarily go on to become great players. Some never really get any better, some go backwards (Jason Young one time Livi's star player, now in the juniour leagues)

On the other side of the coin you have late developers, solid players who don't particularly stand out in their early years but keep improving; Craig Brewster didn't become a professional footballer until his mid twenties, Billy Dodds earning a move to rangers late on in his career is another good example.

How a player develops probably has more to do with their work ethic and IQ than with their natural ability.

work ethic yes...IQ a BIG no. IQ does not come anywhere near football when it comes to playing the game. yes your correct in saying you can never tell but its certainly not nonsense to tip a player...i've seen iain vigurs play since he was 10 years old, i tipped him then...look where he is now. he isn't gonna stop here and now. why do people in scotland find it hard to praise young players.

Edited by CaleyP

work ethic yes...IQ a BIG no. IQ does not come anywhere near football when it comes to playing the game. yes your correct in saying you can never tell but its certainly not nonsense to tip a player...i've seen iain vigurs play since he was 10 years old, i tipped him then...look where he is now. he isn't gonna stop here and now. why do people in scotland find it hard to praise young players.

its hard because theres been so many tipped younsters who have never made it

i went to school with a few boys who have gone onto play for spl clubs or scotland...stephen cosgrove (ex man u and motherwell) now playing juniors, stephen crainey who has had 5-6 appearances for scotland but nobody even mentions him now that hes at blackpool and charles mulgrew, was a good player back then and doing well now, even if he is aberdeen hope he does well but all they wanted to do was play football when they were younger and have put in the hard work...but usually they have somthing to fall back on incase they dont make it

but i could have said several more names who were on par or better than them, but just faded out as they got older or realised football is not a guaranteed future and then went on to uni etc...

Edited by Mick

its hard because theres been so many tipped younsters who have never made it

i went to school with a few boys who have gone onto play for spl clubs or scotland...stephen cosgrove (ex man u and motherwell) now playing juniors, stephen crainey who has had 5-6 appearances for scotland but nobody even mentions him now that hes at blackpool and charles mulgrew, was a good player back then and doing well now, even if he is aberdeen hope he does well but all they wanted to do was play football when they were younger and have put in the hard work...but usually they have somthing to fall back on incase they dont make it

but i could have said several more names who were on par or better than them, but just faded out as they got older or realised football is not a guaranteed future and then went on to uni etc...

point granted...but still doesn't mean we cant praise our youngsters. the players you mentioned were good but vigurs has a touch of class...that can get you far coz not many players possess this. i guess you could say we tip a lot of players but one has to work out...just a matter of probability. :thumb04: