FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BMGF

I'm a new member of this forum, hailing from Pennsylvania.

So how does someone from the remotest Alleghenies become a Caley Thistle fan?

Well, I'm of Scottish ancestry, at least on my father's side, though it's about 6-7 generations back. I've very casually followed the SPL for a long time, but have been put off by the fact that a certain pair of distasteful teams seem to always predominate. But back in 2004 (I think it was) I read of this team that had won their way into the SPL but was going to be denied because their stadium wasn't big enough(!).

And it turned out this team had quite a storyline behind it: formed by a merger of two arch-rivals in a regional league, a reputation as giant-killers ("Super Caley Go Ballistic ..."), a rapid climb from the Third Division to the SPL, first-ever SPL team from the Highlands ...

So I listened to few live webcasts, followed the team through its first SPL season, then lost track the next season when an extended business trip denied me personal Internet access on Saturdays.

But I'm back, and I see ICT is still killing the odd giant and fighting for a high finish.

I listened to Saturday's game on Live Sportsound, and, well, I could have picked a better week to start listening again. But one game is one game.

I don't suppose I'll ever see a game in person unless I ever win the free-pair-of-airline-tickets-to-the-Highlands-drawing at the yearly local Highland Games. Or unless ICT does a US tour.

Anyway, great forum you have here. I'll be around.

BMGF

Well I do understand your keeness and your thoughts about the radio broadcast.

I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada and also listen to the Sportsound live broadcast on Saturday.--although they are few and far betwen now due to possible rights infringements.

Your history searches about Caley and Thistle etc were duplicated by me some years ago and the fact that I am still accessing this forum almost every day should encourage you to stick around and participate in thr chit chat . It helps to have watched the team in person but not having yet done so should not stop you expressing your views. Your post was well-written and forthright so welcome.

Best regards and enjoy

Uncle Scarlet.

Welcome to the world of Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Following the team will be a roller coaster of differing emotions from excitement to disappointment to total frustation and sheer pleasure. You well 'feel' all these by visiting the forums on a regular basis. Enjoy.

I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada and also listen to the Sportsound live broadcast on Saturday.--although they are few and far betwen now due to possible rights infringements.

:rotflmao:

I remember from a few years ago that the games against Celtic and Rangers were blacked out and I could only follow the text reports. So now there are more like that?

Yes indeed more are blocked ... here is a list of audio that is either available/blocked. They are blocked because the team has established their own matchday offering.

Some teams like Hibs and Hearts are decent enough to either not block anything at all despite offering their own service (Hibs) or to only block games at their home ground (Hearts). The others block everything. Well and St Mirren switched website providers at the end of last season and are rumoured to be working on adding their own services so they will end up blocked too.

Aberdeen - BLOCKED

Celtic - BLOCKED.

Dundee Utd - AVAILABLE

Falkirk - BLOCKED

Hamilton - AVAILABLE

Hearts - BLOCKED if at Tynecastle, AVAILABLE if away from home

Hibernian - AVAILABLE (even though Hibs also broadcast)

Kilmarnock - BLOCKED

Motherwell - AVAILABLE (for now - rumoured to be blocked by end of season)

Rangers - BLOCKED

St Mirren - AVAILABLE (for now - rumoured to be blocked by end of season)

As for video, forget about it on the BBC or elsewhere it is totally blocked outside the UK. You may get video when we play Rangers or Celtic by going to a Rangers or Celtic club but thats it. Until the club offer their own audio/video service like other clubs we are pretty much screwed.

PS - Welcome aboard.

maybe someone could suggest to ICT that they play some pre-season games in Inverness, California or Inverness, Illinois...I think there is an Inverness in Florida too

the club could create some lucrative business link ups with the states

There is also one in Quebec and one in Nova Scotia ... as well as Montana, Mississippi, Missouri and Alabama !!!

Yes indeed more are blocked ... here is a list of audio that is either available/blocked. They are blocked because the team has established their own matchday offering.

Hmmm. "Their own matchday offering"? So can I hear these at some other site? Maybe as a pay service? I'm not sure what this all means and what options there are.

Ancestors 6-7 generations back - **** me I might have come across them - whats their names ?

???

They've been dead a long time!

Surnames were Lindsey, Hamilton, MacLeod, Armstrong and Millar. At least those are all I can remember without hunting up genealogical records. (In some cases I have things like burial records with entries like "Father's Birthplace: Scotland" without the father's first name! )

I once got thrown out of a feckin Folk Festival in a place curiously called Bradford - at least I think it was - and ended up in a cell in Chautauqua.

Bradford, Pennsylvania?

Hmmm. "Their own matchday offering"? So can I hear these at some other site? Maybe as a pay service? I'm not sure what this all means and what options there are.

unfortunately, most are done in-house (by club or club/fan partnerships), are by their own admission somewhat biased (understandable), and worse still (for opposition supporters) require a season long commitment.

I have held out hope that ICT would start something like this but I fear cost is an issue ... especially with their current provider. At the end of the day, the worst part is that it is not rocket science to get this done, a decent sponsor to pay for the bandwidth, the correct permissions in place and a little bit of development work and a half decent solution could be put in place relatively quickly.

Ancestors 6-7 generations back - **** me I might have come across them - whats their names ?

???

They've been dead a long time!

Surnames were Lindsey, Hamilton, MacLeod, Armstrong and Millar. At least those are all I can remember without hunting up genealogical records. (In some cases I have things like burial records with entries like "Father's Birthplace: Scotland" without the father's first name! )

I once got thrown out of a feckin Folk Festival in a place curiously called Bradford - at least I think it was - and ended up in a cell in Chautauqua.

Bradford, Pennsylvania?

**** me - Lindsey, Hamilton, MacLeod, Armstrong and Millar - that was the best forward line I ever saw. I think it was Bradford Park Northern from Transylvania.