FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

does anyone remember...

DALNEIGHCALEY

A left winger who played for Caley and for Thistle during the 50's by the name of Willie Jack?

Bit of a long shot I know but maybe one of the older lads might remember seeing / hearing of him.

Any feed back appreciated.

I'll ask my dad when he visits me next week. I'd phone but, well, credit crunch & all that.

A left winger who played for Caley and for Thistle during the 50's by the name of Willie Jack?

Bit of a long shot I know but maybe one of the older lads might remember seeing / hearing of him.

Any feed back appreciated.

Dalneigh Caley, glad to help. I worked with Willie for 12 years in the Post Office, you could'nt meet a nicer fellow, he was a long time employee, retiring as a counter assistant/ clerical officer at the main office in Queensgate.

I believe he originally came from Golspie and although I never saw him play for Caley he arguably played in one of Inverness's finest teams alongside Juppy Mitchell, Ginger MacKenzie, Porrige MacKintosh, Willie Jamieson, Frankie MacBeath, Ernie and Stootie Fraser etc.

He never played with us on the Post Office football team as he had trouble with his knees but he used to go to our games at the Bught and always had a wee kick-about with us before the games, it was obvious he could play, he had all the ''touches'' and a magical left foot.

He was possibly in his 40's when he eventually got married and he and his wife lived in one of the flats in Bruce Avenue.

He was very well liked, he had a great sense of humour, always a smile and it was a pleasure knowing him. I just wish I had seen him play in his prime, I believe he was exceptional!

I'm sure he is still ''on the go'' I certainly hope so.

Thanks for that canuck. I heard he was nicknamed Puskas by the Telford St. faithful due to his left peg.He's still on the go and I can say hello from you the next time I see him if you'd like?

Please do, my name is Davie Lynn, Willie will certainly remember me.

I remember him too playing for Caley, although I think he was just a wee bit later than the greatest Caley side containing 'Ginger' Mckenzie, et al. Probably mid to late 50s I would have guessed at. Lived in Avoch on Black Isle I believe in thsose days.

Willie never lived on the black isle as canuck says he was in Bruce Avenue when he got married and latterly in Dochfour Drive , and he played in the same team as Ginger and Stootie etc.

Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

I remember him too playing for Caley, although I think he was just a wee bit later than the greatest Caley side containing 'Ginger' Mckenzie, et al. Probably mid to late 50s I would have guessed at. Lived in Avoch on Black Isle I believe in thsose days.

Willie never lived on the black isle as canuck says he was in Bruce Avenue when he got married and latterly in Dochfour Drive , and he played in the same team as Ginger and Stootie etc.

It could be the wrong JACK.

I seem to remember a player called Vince(?) Jack from Avoch, playing for Thistle about that time - a tall guy and was signed by, I think, Bury.

Edited by absent friend

I was speaking to Willie today ( he was just home after a round of golf ) and he certainly new who I was talking about when I mentioned Davie Lynn, he sends his warm regards and best wishes.

absent friend your bang on with Vince Jack from Avoch he did indeed sign for Bury and Willie reckons he's in Australia the last he heard.

Finally canuck , Juppy Mitchell signed for thistle the year Willie signed for Caley so in fact they never did play in the same Caley side.

Many thanks for all the replies lads. :rotflmao: