Recommended Posts

Just now, Charles Bannerman said:

So where does this leave your earlier statement that if Caley Thistle didn't get 3 points from their next three games (Hearts + OF) then relegation was certain?

After the Rangers game saw that target overtaken, I asked you  "That's now four points from the first two of them, so does the converse apply? Does this now mean equally definite safety?"... to which you replied "Are you fick or wot ? Of course it is the converse and sets us up fer Cellic."

But now you appear to have abandoned that converse, changed your mind again and once more consider the team to be in "BIG trouble".

Confused, Inverness.

You really are such an ersehole :cry: If we didn't get that 4 (FOUR) points we would be relegation betting certs. Of course it was the converse - it was season saving and it meant that we had confidence going in to the Cellic game and any type of result would be a huge, huge bonus. I have to concede that I was baffled by your grammar in the second question and chose NOT to respond. Given the other results recently and the fixtures coming up we are in BIG trouble - are you fick or wot ?

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor display, but not unexpected,  it's the manner of the defeat and the soft goals conceded that frustrates fans. Any team in the league would have taken advantage of the defensive errors tonight. Important to remember it could be worse you could be a celtic fan, their season is over they will win the league easily and it would be a shock if they don't win the cup. We have everything to play for our season could got to the last game. We live for the odd highlight beating the old firm, a good cup run, an away win. Celtic know they are going to win with minimal effort every week. Minor point but was disappointed to see our ball boys wearing celtic tops and scarves tonight.

It's not over yet, all to play for , important thing is we are not detached at the bottom and our survival is in our own hands.

Hopefully lessons learned and the team move onwards and upwards 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, all in all, a defeat to Celtic isn't exactly a surprise...and 4 points from the last three games is way over target, and more than what we could've hoped for. For once this season, other results haven't favoured us, but it's games against the other bottom 6 that's going to make the real difference. We have in fact closed the gap on Hamilton in March, which also, is a positive. Take emotions out of it, and we've actually done pretty well.

and I can 100% confirm that OFW is carrying an injury.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That must've felt like a training session for Celtic. We didn't get near them all night. Looked to me that we were terrified of them from the start, I've never seen us stand off a team like we did tonight. And you simply can't give a team like Celtic all the time in the world to play it out from the back. Even without the howlers I suspect the scoreline would've ended up the same at the end. 

I left after the 4th, I'd seen enough...and it was feckin freezing to add to my misery. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Young Team gets MOM tonight. Great effort in the face of adversity!

Nice to see the stewards and police enforcing their ersehole laws evenly and fairly across both sets of fans! Grrr! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see any point slagging the players off for this evening. Domestically Celtic have been literally unbeatable this season. They're a class above the SPL.

Also don't agree with this notion that the players lacked 'belief', or should've been braver with the ball. Celtic are bigger, faster, stronger, more skillful and more organized than us. Trying to dribble or play tippy tappy against a team like that is suicide. 9 times out of 10 you'll be dispossessed (as we saw time and again tonight) and the team left exposed for a breakaway. No amount of 'belief' will magically change reality. Under these circumstances it's safety first - clear your lines, play long, safe balls up the park, don't take any chances, keep men behind the ball. This is how we played in the first half, and for the most part it worked well. Celtic struggled to break us down and it took a world class goal to break the deadlock. 

Second half was a bit of a shambles, but Celtic can make anyone in this league look like mugs. Having 2 energy sapping OF games in 5 days probably didn't help the cause.

4 points gained from Hearts, Rangers and Celtic is an excellent return. The bar has been set. If we can perform to the same standard against the diddy teams we'll climb the table.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, cif73 said:

Is it a world record for a team TAKING the kick-off to concede within 12 seconds?

Au contraire ... these defensive mis-haps seem to be as common as muck ... close but no cigar 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/18/what-is-the-fastest-goal-scored-by-a-football-team-not-kicking-off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Polworth good.

Raven did OK .

Cant see much more positives than that.

Polworth had good moments including that lovely volley and some forward runs but I was disappointed to see him make absolutely no effort to track back a few times when he lost possession in forward areas. He just seemed to spit the dummy/lose heart/give up way too easily.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First 43 minutes we went toe to toe with a better team and didn't look like a result was beyond us for the 1st 1/2 hour of that. Lost one goal to a great individual strike, lost another and all our confidence to a classic defensive clusterduck, and then went to pieces.

I've seen a lot worse, tbh. The only thing I'm glum about is results elsewhere which have piled on more of the sticky stuff. It's snorkel time.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing to lose a goal just before half time and then concede such a soft goal straight from our kick off at the start of the second half.  Had we got to the hour mark without conceding we might have got something out of the game.  That 2nd goal was a real sickener and full credit to the team for never giving up.

We played very well against The Rangers on Friday but never quite matched that today.  I don't think that was from any lack of effort, it was just that Celtic are head and shoulders above any other team in the league and put such pressure on the opposition.  But having said that, if OFW had played like he did on Friday we would have run Celtic close.  I thought Polworth was the one player whose performance was well down on Friday, when I thought he was excellent. How he got the sponsors MOTM beats me!  Billy King was was my MOTM, particularly in the first half when he did some top class tackling back.  King Billy put in a good shift but was frustrated by poor service from Polworth in particular and by a superb centre back pairing who never put a foot wrong all evening..

Overall, there was enough in that performance to suggest we can turn things round.  The big worry is OFW's fitness.  Richie may have a big decision to make there.  He certainly has a big decision to make relating to Garry Warren.  We now have decent options in defence and Warren has made one or two crucial errors and is lacking a bit of pace.  

Finally, a big well done to Iain Vigurs.  Whatever one may think about Vigurs, I simply abhor fans booing their own player when he comes on.  When he came on he really played for the shirt. He fought for the ball and then used the ball well when he got it.  If he could keep that up for 90 minutes he would be first on the team sheet every week.

  • Agree 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Overall, there was enough in that performance to suggest we can turn things round.  The big worry is OFW's fitness.  Richie may have a big decision to make there.  He certainly has a big decision to make relating to Garry Warren.  We now have decent options in defence and Warren has made one or two crucial errors and is lacking a bit of pace.  

 

Spot on there DD, although he has been brilliant this has nor been Warrens season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Disappointing to lose a goal just before half time and then concede such a soft goal straight from our kick off at the start of the second half.  Had we got to the hour mark without conceding we might have got something out of the game.  That 2nd goal was a real sickener and full credit to the team for never giving up.

We played very well against The Rangers on Friday but never quite matched that today.  I don't think that was from any lack of effort, it was just that Celtic are head and shoulders above any other team in the league and put such pressure on the opposition.  But having said that, if OFW had played like he did on Friday we would have run Celtic close.  I thought Polworth was the one player whose performance was well down on Friday, when I thought he was excellent. How he got the sponsors MOTM beats me!  Billy King was was my MOTM, particularly in the first half when he did some top class tackling back.  King Billy put in a good shift but was frustrated by poor service from Polworth in particular and by a superb centre back pairing who never put a foot wrong all evening..

Overall, there was enough in that performance to suggest we can turn things round.  The big worry is OFW's fitness.  Richie may have a big decision to make there.  He certainly has a big decision to make relating to Garry Warren.  We now have decent options in defence and Warren has made one or two crucial errors and is lacking a bit of pace.  

Finally, a big well done to Iain Vigurs.  Whatever one may think about Vigurs, I simply abhor fans booing their own player when he comes on.  When he came on he really played for the shirt. He fought for the ball and then used the ball well when he got it.  If he could keep that up for 90 minutes he would be first on the team sheet every week.

Great post DD. 

Was shocked at booing of Vigurs before he even came on. Esp as those booing had been giving team such great support

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Was shocked at booing of Vigurs before he even came on. Esp as those booing had been giving team such great support

Second game in a row. Absolutely disgraceful. Picking out Vigz to be the brunt of everyone's frustrations...totally unfair. There's more players this season that have worse performances. RF has done the right thing, he's playing him off the bench-what more can be done?

i can't believe at this point that we're booing any of our own players! Thought we were better than that.

  • Agree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cif73 said:

Polworth had good moments including that lovely volley and some forward runs but I was disappointed to see him make absolutely no effort to track back a few times when he lost possession in forward areas. He just seemed to spit the dummy/lose heart/give up way too easily.

Not something new from Polworth. Every time he loses the ball he has a wee tantrum to himself. He needs to forget about it and work hard to get back into position. Not shake his head like a moody teenager. That said, on the ball he was ok last night.

Just a game to quickly move on from. We won't have to play Celtic again this season so from here on in every game is winnable.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to the radio on the way home and actually agreed with Pat Bonner's assessment.  The entire Celtic team played well.  We defended quite well for over 40 minutes chasing shadows as they moved the ball so quickly.  We needed a significant number of them to have an off day and our entire team to perform well.  We simply weren't allowed the ball for most of the game.  Going to the game I hoped for at best a draw against a team that has steamrolled everyone this term, but was expecting what we got, as no doubt most of us were.  Second half forgetting the schoolboy errors, simply confirmed the fact that they are in a different class. 

Thought Richie's post match comments were overly harsh for a game that few would have expected any sort of positive result from for us. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IBM said:

Hiro you are right in all you say but the game at Firhill is a week on Saturday.

Oops, at least we might get a 0-0 if we turn up this Saturday.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Oops, at least we might get a 0-0 if we turn up this Saturday.

Maybe, depends who is in goals....... :laugh:

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a disappointing performance and it's fair to say that other midweek results could hardly have been worse from our point of view.

However, we need to look at the positives. None of our relegation rivals are likely to take anything from Celtic, many of them will have to play them again whereas we will not have to face them again this season.

On our day, we are capable of taking something from every other opponent we have to play this season and, if we put last night behind us and play with the form and spirit we displayed against Hearts and The Rangers we will.

Challenging weeks ahead but challenges that, if we all pull together, we can overcome.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As many others have pointed out losing to that celtic team is hardly embarrassing, they're comfortably the best SPL team I've ever seen (in regards to comparison with the other teams in the league). The rangers result on Friday and the hearts result before that gave us hope but unfortunately the writing is on the wall as far as i'm concerned. This squad just isn't good enough; factor in an inexperienced manager and unfortunate injuries at unfortunate times and it seems that relegation is inevitable. We might just pull it off somehow and stay up but then next season will be even tougher with Hibs and Utd in the spl and assuming our best players will leave again in the summer, that prospect is pretty terrifying. Although a huge financial risk, perhaps going down will give us a chance to build a new squad with a new core of young players and a young manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TtotheOtotheM said:

...............Although a huge financial risk, perhaps going down will give us a chance to build a new squad with a new core of young players and a young manager. 

Can't agree with that.    While there is still a glimmer of a chance of achieving 10th spot, all the efforts should be concentrated on that aim  (manager, players and supporters alike).

Relegation I fear will definitely be a financial disaster leading to the loss of many jobs, and as I don't think we have the ability to bounce back up, I can see the possibility of us slipping into relative obscurity, part time football etc.

So, one more giant push is needed from everybody to gain us another year in the top flight, and buy us a bit of time to sort ourselves out next season.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Can't agree with that.    While there is still a glimmer of a chance of achieving 10th spot, all the efforts should be concentrated on that aim  (manager, players and supporters alike).

Relegation I fear will definitely be a financial disaster leading to the loss of many jobs, and as I don't think we have the ability to bounce back up, I can see the possibility of us slipping into relative obscurity, part time football etc.

So, one more giant push is needed from everybody to gain us another year in the top flight, and buy us a bit of time to sort ourselves out next season.

I can see your point, and it is definitely true that there is great risk in going down (jobs etc) but i really don't think think we risk falling into obscurity. The past few years we've seen some big teams in the championship but assuming hibs and utd go up (and st mirren down) i think we could do very well. I don't think we pack the same "giant killing" punch that say rangers. hearts, hibs have had in the lower leagues and we may benefit from this. Truthfully, it depends entirely on what sort of squad we assemble over the summer, relegation or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes this is a very good Celtic team however at the moment we are a very bad ICT team.

In some respects the Rangers result might be the worst thing that happened to us as it will give Foran who is clearly out of his depth more time and I fear it will then be to late 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.