FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brewster's Tactics

Caley Stan

St Mirren - 4-4-2 changed to 4-3-3

Aberdeen - 4-5-1 changed to 4-4-2

Motherwell - 5-4-1 changed to 5-3-2

Is this a new record for the most changes in formation in a 3 game period?

Is it any wonder that our players are running around without a clue what the plan is?

Its called desperation.

Is it any wonder that our players are running around without a clue what the plan is?

don't change tactics and lose...Brew gets pelters

change tactics and lose...Brew gets pelters

He can't win can he? Quite literally....

there has to come a point where he has had enough of it

I think there has to come a point where the board have had enough of it

I know what you're saying, but today he had players in positions and combinations they have hardly any experience of. McBain as the main creative force and pass-maker in central midfield? Why not Vigurs, who has had several very good away games in a similar position this season? McGuire, Proctor and Munro in a three at the back? Given that none of them have really gelled playing together in a two, is it any wonder that they didn't seem to know how to play together as a three?

I don't remember that much criticism of the 4-5-1 formation in away games this season - most of the criticism has come when he's played that at home, or switched to 4-4-2 for away games. As Caley Stan suggests, the fact that he has changed the formation so often even after relatively good performances implies he really doesn't have a clear vision of what he wants the team to be doing.

TBH, I think it's gone beyond formation problems now - confidence, motivation and, more than likely after January, lack of quality players are all likely to see us relegated.

TBH, I think it's gone beyond formation problems now - confidence, motivation and, more than likely after January, lack of quality players are all likely to see us relegated.

That's true. I'm highlighting the changes in formation as an example of just how desperate Brewster is getting. He doesn't have any idea how to get us out of this mess and today's shambles proved that beyond doubt.

Tactics the man does not no the meaning of the word. He was not happy with playing 1 up front today he then slips in an extra defender and for good measure plays a defensive midfielder in Macbain. The only tactic he knows is to send out his teams with damage limitation in mind. Even at half time today when he made his change, what does he do , takes of a midfielder for a striker when surely any other manager would have hooked one of the back 5! Its getting to the stage when im not sure how much more of this i can take.

Sticking to the same tactics, i.e. 4-4-2, gives players a chance to gel together and find out each others strength's and weakness's. Without a Scott McDonald or a Kenny Miller we will never have success up front. Wood and Rooney and maybe ever Barrowman can score goals but they need to be playing of each other. They need to play together consistantly. None of that is happening. There is no confidence in the team and there's certainly no confidence from the management.

Tactics the man does not no the meaning of the word. He was not happy with playing 1 up front today he then slips in an extra defender and for good measure plays a defensive midfielder in Macbain. The only tactic he knows is to send out his teams with damage limitation in mind. Even at half time today when he made his change, what does he do , takes of a midfielder for a striker when surely any other manager would have hooked one of the back 5! Its getting to the stage when im not sure how much more of this i can take.

correct. its damage limitation after we lose the 1st goal!!!! the guy is not a leader and hearing this week what his training sessions involve just prove 2 me that he has not the ability to turn this around

The players looked completely lost with today's 'tactics'. No-one seemed to have a clue where they were playing, and none of the defence seemed to have a clue who they were supposed to mark. Feckin shocking

It's Scotland under Berti all over again. Someone remind our Board how fortunes improved dramatically with a change of manager.

Today's starting formation was shocking, and that's being generous.

McGuire and Proctor have been the two worst defenders at the club this season, yet Duff, who bar a couple of errors early on in the campaign had been doing ok (he was at least showing improvement week on week) has found himself benched for no good reason.

I'm no fan of playing Black and Duncan together in a midfield 4 as it can lack creativity, but what creativity did come was a result of Black, so to leave Vigurs on the bench today was criminal. I'd even be prepared to stick my neck out and say that Vigurs is THE most creative attack minded midfielder we have at the club just now. It's little wonder we aren't creating anything in the final third when we go with one up front and then fail to put in any kind of player to link up with the front man.

Playing a Sweeper.....aside from the fact we have a back 4 who play so deep that there's no space to play a Sweeper, I hardly think "Bomb Scare" McGuire is best suited to the position. The only one of our Defence with ANY experience of that position is Richard Hastings, so if we're going to utilise it, then we at least have to use the most experienced players to fill the role.

Loan Strikers.....don't think there's much to be said on this which hasn't been said already.

Taking a wider view of things. We hear Brewster saying he wants to see more confidence from the team and wants them to be more positive, but it's hardly a good start when Brewster sets out his formation in such a negative fashion every week. How can players even begin to believe in themselves again when it's abundantly obvious the Manager doesn't know how to play to their individual and/or collective strengths.

Brewster has now been through every defensive/negative formation in the book...some of them several times, and he still hasn't managed to turn things around.

As I said in my interview for North Tonight....Where are the changes going to come from? Where is the improvement going to come from?

I sure as hell don't believe for a single second that throwing money at the problem is the answer, although I will admit that with the decimation of the squad we've witnessed/are witnessing then we will have no choice but to spend in January.

Bottom line for me is that Brewster IS NOT realising the potential from what we have, and he should not be allowed to waste any more of our clubs money trying to cover up his inadequacies in the Transfer Window. For the current board to allow that to happen would be shear negligence, and if it does happen then you can be damned sure that once we get rid of Brewster I will be turning my full attention on them.

If the Board are acting as puppets to anyone, or if there's non-footballing reasons why Brewster is being allowed to continue or if some are biting their tongue through some misguided loyalty to friends sitting beside them on the Board, then they are only showing themselves out to be weak and I for one do not want weak men (or women) running our club.

I'd even be prepared to stick my neck out and say that Vigurs is THE most creative attack minded midfielder we have at the club just now. It's little wonder we aren't creating anything in the final third when we go with one up front and then fail to put in any kind of player to link up with the front man.

The last time i saw Vigurs play was at Kilmarnock and he was brilliant. A couple of weeks before that he played really well at Easter Road. I have no idea why he's been an unused sub for the last three games. Was he so bad in the United game?

Today, in the absence of Black, the midfield was crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball and pick a pass - but Brew played Roy in the advanced midfield role!!!

Somebody said on another thread that if you take out Black and Cowie, there isn't one player in our team that other SPL teams would be interested in. That's probably true, but if anyone can step up in the long-term, it's Iain Vigurs.

Has Brew moved in favour of the more experienced players recently? Duff and Vigurs have been overlooked.

That might be part of his thinking, yet he's stuck by Gary Wood when you could argue that Barrowman and Rooney had, before this season, slightly more experience at higher levels (Rooney at Eng Championship, Barrowman in Scots Divs 1&2). I think Wood has done quite well, all things considered - in the last three weeks he's been among our better players - but I also think Vigurs and Duff have done well at times too. Not recalling Vigurs today was inexcusable: as someone who can put his foot on the ball and find a pass, he's easily the closest thing we have to a replacement for Blackie.

Yet again, it's difficult to identify a clear line of thought in Brewster's choice of player.

yes the ironic thing about the call for more experience in our side is that our young players have been amongst the better performers so far and so brewster in some sort of blind panic cant bring himself to use the likes of duff, zander and vigurs when he blatently should

scanning P&B, this post from a Well fan pretty much summed it up !!!!

As for Caley, well, what can you say...I've seen no shortage of dire teams this season, but this mob really takes the biscuit. They were easily one of the worst sides I've ever witnessed at Fir Park. They looked insipid, directionless and generally hopeless and we gifted them their two goals; they were never going to score otherwise. The lack of any excitement whatsoever from the ICT fans really drove home how disillusioned they are - I was astonished to see many of them not even clap, never mind stand up, to acclaim their goals. As long as Brewster remains at the helm, I don't see much hope for them.

scanning P&B, this post from a Well fan pretty much summed it up !!!!

As for Caley, well, what can you say...I've seen no shortage of dire teams this season, but this mob really takes the biscuit. They were easily one of the worst sides I've ever witnessed at Fir Park. They looked insipid, directionless and generally hopeless and we gifted them their two goals; they were never going to score otherwise. The lack of any excitement whatsoever from the ICT fans really drove home how disillusioned they are - I was astonished to see many of them not even clap, never mind stand up, to acclaim their goals. As long as Brewster remains at the helm, I don't see much hope for them.

That sums our situation up perfectly...

I couldn't have put it any better than that...

Somebody make a decision soon.... PLEASE