FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Partick : Matchday Thread

Scotty

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the sad fact is it is due to all the people supporting the OF at my school in a year of 150 people i am the only caley fan in it and im certain at least 1/3 are interested in football and yes my school is in Inverness. The amount of OF fans is staggering only a few support "wee diddy" teams.

Find below, for your information and, if desired, comment, the report on the game in today's (Glasgow) Herald. (Why can't these boys just get over it and adjust to being a well established lower league club?)

Inverness CT 3 - 0 Partick Thistle[ mailto:douglas.campbell@theherald.co.uk ]DOUGLAS CAMPBELL

January 12 2009

JOHN Robertson managed a smile as he chatted at the stadium's front door. The defender was being supported by crutches and in a strange manner, his situation almost perfectly summed-up what had just transpired for his Partick Thistle team on the grass.

Elimination from the tournament at such an early stage must have been painful for the club's people to endure, but their performance was, in many respects, pleasing and, had a main striker been employed, a rather poor Inverness side may well have been brushed aside.

As it was, the main difference between the sides was a little Portuguese gentleman named Filipe Morais, deemed surplus to requirements at Hibernian but thought good enough to stroll into the Inverness starting line-up. He hit the target twice, the first by way of a violent deflection, with the scoring being completed by Iain Vigurs.

From a Thistle perspective, the tie started badly with the draw, and deteriorated further. What can a club look forward to having been paired away to Inverness? Travelling to the other end of the land in January, and the expense this entails, while the monetary remuneration against such a poorly supported club is minimal. There were just 1803 paying customers present at the weekend, and a good number of that attendance were wearing red and yellow.

The Glasgow lot had been in good voice, briefly, but when Robertson was kicked and hobbled off with a damaged ankle, their decibel level seemed to diminish. A few minutes later, they were a goal down, and when Liam Buchanan, Thistle's main - some would say only - striker, remained indoors after the interval, oh dear.

Still, Thistle's passing of the ball here and there was easy on the eye, but when the white of Michael Fraser's eyes in the Inverness goal was noticed, Thistle seemed inept, almost clueless, and in the end an effort from substitute midfielder Scott Chaplain was their only big threat.

Of course, if Gerry Britton were to miraculously manage to discard a few years and a good deal of encumbering tissue, he would be just the type of guy to aid his team's cause in forward areas, however he must make do with an assistant-managerial role at Firhill.

Having slumped into a chair in the media area, recording devices were thrust before him, but Britton seemed to take little notice.

He stated the obvious, of course, Robertson's demise, Buchanan's illness, major factors in the match outcome, but he then tried to be positive, in that there would be no interruption to his team's planning and preparation for an all-out assault on the first division title.

Despite the presence of Morais - a player who when given space looks impressive - Inverness, having taken part in the big playground for some time, did not really look convincing.

Te paying customers who watch Thistle on a regular basis will hope Robertson, one of their best players for ages, will make a comeback of Lazarus proportion, but three points against St Johnstone on Saturday afternoon would certainly bring a smile to their faces.

It's the usual pathetic moans about the cost of travelling to the other end of the country, etc, etc... that get to me.

I suspect there is a sizeable groundswell of opinion in the central belt that would love to see us relegated...

Thankfully that's not going to happen, is it? :rotflmao:

Edited by Johnboy

I must admit I nearly choked over my cornflakes this morning when I read the Herald. If it wasn't for the score at the top you would have a problem working out who 'Thistle' were playing. Wonder if the guy had his scarf on in the press box.

Before the game:

'Treble rouser fires up Jags for future tests

And the Jags midfielder has no doubts that Saturday's trip north is very much a winnable tie despite the fact Ian McCall's men will be facing SPL opposition on their home turf.'

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...uture_tests.php

Partick dangerman Roberts knows how to beat Inverness

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...014871?UserKey=

Hughes rescue plan for Jags to beat downturn

Hughes today outlined the economic bullet points that are essential if the Jags are to stave off the financial chill now blowing through football.

l On the field, it is vital the Jags negotiate Saturday's Home-coming Scottish Cup fourth-round tie at Inverness and land a money-spinning TV date in the next stage.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...at_downturn.php

"This time we have got to prove we cannot only play well against a team from the top flight, but produce the result our performance will hopefully merit."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa..._in_spl_tie.php

'Blackpool, the Championship side have reportedly sounded out Partick Thistle boss Ian McCall as a possible replacement for Simon Grayson. (The Times)'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-21025156/

We seem to be forgetting that this Partick Thistle team ran Rangers close early in the season in the league cup. The Herald newspaper will obviously report from a Glaswegian point of view - they're not there to view things from an Inverness perspective when we wouldn't normally be reading the paper. There's nothing wrong with that. However from where I was sitting in the disappointingly deserted stand I thought the better team won - and won at a canter in the end. It's true that we scored 2 rather fortunate goals, one a massive deflection and the other effort - at best - could be called a tackle. But the old story is that if you don't buy a ticket you can't win the lottery. Our new signing gambled and his shot ended up in the net. After that you could feel some confidence coursing through the team. When we scored our second it was obvious to everyone. He also made sure he was in the postion to make the challenge to score the 2nd. How many times this season have we been unlucky at losing a stupid goal at the wrong time? We all know that's the case. We should accept the breaks when it goes our way. And the defense looked much more solid. Maybe Partick didn't play well. Maybe they weren't allowed to.

On final point. I am as upset as anyone else that the team is not enjoying the best of form and luck. I accept that January can be a financially difficult period for many families. However I don't accept that the poor attendance was simply because of that. Too many people are too eager to complain on here that thngs aren't right. I suggest that instead of 'commentating' on here during the match you should get along and support the team IF YOUR FINANCES ALLOW. After the game vent your frustration on the directors and/or manager, but please guys, support the team. If you don't we will end up in the 1st division, and we will not have any right to complain. Less than 1900 people at the Caley stadium is not good. A crowd that size is deserving of 1st division football at best. We all want the best players we can afford at ICT. We will struggle to keep our younger talent never mind making new signings.

Dear Douglas

Congratulations on your report of (IC) Thistle v (Partick) Thistle in today's Herald, a national newspaper the last time I checked.

Unfortunately I think you must mixed it up with the one you wrote for the PTFC fanzine, as I had to look at the scoreline at the top to find out that ICT, not PTFC, actually won the match by 3 goals. In fact, had it not been for the scoreline, I would have had great difficulty finding out who PTFC were actually playing.

Now that you've been informed of your mistake, I look forward to reading the actual match report in my Herald tomorrow.

Happy to help!

JB

I suspect there is a sizeable groundswell of opinion in the central belt that would love to see us relegated...

Certainly at this time of year. Come better weather, there nothing they love more than a jaunt up the A9, sometimes with the family on tow.

Maybe we could become a seasonal SPL side... :rotflmao:

The Herald newspaper will obviously report from a Glaswegian point of view - they're not there to view things from an Inverness perspective when we wouldn't normally be reading the paper.

Think that part of your argument died when the paper's name was changed from the "Glasgow Herald" to merely "The Herald" as part of a management buyout in 1992 and further solidified with a relaunch in 1998. That report is as biased as you might expect to see on a fan website.

The Herald newspaper will obviously report from a Glaswegian point of view - they're not there to view things from an Inverness perspective when we wouldn't normally be reading the paper.

Think that part of your argument died when the paper's name was changed from the "Glasgow Herald" to merely "The Herald" as part of a management buyout in 1992 and further solidified with a relaunch in 1998. That report is as biased as you might expect to see on a fan website.

In fact you'd hope that most of these would be just a bit more objective.