FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Partick : Matchday Thread

Scotty

The Herald newspaper will obviously report from a Glaswegian point of view - they're not there to view things from an Inverness perspective when we wouldn't normally be reading the paper.

I really think The Herald aspires to be rather more than a local Glasgow paper along the lines of the Carnoustie Guide and Gazette or the Nairnshire Telegraph. It's a quality national broadsheet but on this occasion has failed to live up to that reputation. Apart from the general tone of the article, the bit I actually found most hilarious was the statement

Travelling to the other end of the land in January, and the expense this entails... :rotflmao:

Er.... this is the kind of journey Caley Thistle, Ross County and Aberdeen do fortnightly and Glasgow is actually nearer the "end of the land" than Inverness is. The only problem seems to be that the end of the land Inverness is nearer is the one of which far too many people have difficulty conceiving when Castlecary Arches seem like the north west frontier to them.

There does appear to be a very resilient perception down there which mirrors the Aberdonian 1983 timewarp. The difference is that this one involves the delusion that Partick Thistle are still big hitters in Scottish football. Perhaps they should smell the coffee a bit more vigorously and remember that their recent history includes time in the Second Division.

No disgrace at all... that kind of thing happens to a lot of clubs - it's just that in this case there seems to be some kind of lobby that finds that reality a bit difficult to accept.

Even though it was almost five years ago now, I think a lot of people up here still remember Partick Thistle's "QC in the dugout" mentality during the summer of 2004 when Caley Thistle faced (and overcame) the most vigorous of rearguard actions in an attempt to keep them out of (and relegated Partick Thistle in) the SPL.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a laughable piece of journalism but we won and the wee jags lost so i found it quite funny.

the evening express print some real guff about aberdeen too, and whilst the herald calls itself a national now its blatently for the weegies.our local press should be more biased toward us :rotflmao:

This is the type of report we get every Monday in the Herald. I think I'm right in saying we are the only first division team that gets the coverage of this volume in it, presumably because of the Glasgow roots of the paper.

I find it hard to argue with much of what is said. The writer even states that those statements are from a Thistle perspective. Caley away is a nightmare draw for any team below the SPL. A long and expensive journey with an overnight stay(granted you do it every week but it doesn't detract from it being a long journey), a poor gate to compensate (presumably we made a loss from Saturday) and less than a 50/50 chance of winning. Where are the positives in that?

When I'm looking for a report on a Thistle match I don't look at the P&J I look at the Herald. Will the P&J be covering Partick Thistle v St Johnstone next Saturday? I doubt it, but the Herald will be.

When I'm looking for a report on a Thistle match I don't look at the P&J I look at the Herald. Will the P&J be covering Partick Thistle v St Johnstone next Saturday? I doubt it, but the Herald will be.

The difference is though ... the P&J doesnt claim to be anything that it is not !!!!!

The P&J byeline: (based on their own descriptions on their website): "North of Scotland - Aberdeen News - Press and Journal". Daily newspaper serving the North-east of Scotland.

Also - http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/AboutUs.pdf

The Herald byeline: The Herald - Latest Scottish News, Business, Politics, Sport from Glasgow, Edinburgh - all Scotland. Latest news, current news and breaking news from Scotland the UK and the world. Political, business, sport, crosswords, video and pictures. The Herald.

In its 'meta-tags' (which the P&J dont use for some reason), the Herald also has these words designed to be flagged up on searches .... "Scottish, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness, glasgow herald"

One word appears twice in the "meta tags" and that word is "Glasgow". I assume that the paper still has its greatest circulation in Glasgow and therefore aims their articles at their readership. I assume the Sunday Herald match report was more factual as is normally the case?

This is the type of report we get every Monday in the Herald. I think I'm right in saying we are the only first division team that gets the coverage of this volume in it, presumably because of the Glasgow roots of the paper.

I find it hard to argue with much of what is said. The writer even states that those statements are from a Thistle perspective. Caley away is a nightmare draw for any team below the SPL. A long and expensive journey with an overnight stay(granted you do it every week but it doesn't detract from it being a long journey), a poor gate to compensate (presumably we made a loss from Saturday) and less than a 50/50 chance of winning. Where are the positives in that?

You should be grateful that we're an SPL side, rather than Div1... :rotflmao:

Caley away is a nightmare draw for any team below the SPL. A long and expensive journey with an overnight stay(granted you do it every week but it doesn't detract from it being a long journey), a poor gate to compensate

Not a nightmare draw for County or Elgin I would have thought. And inevitably on the likes of last Saturday there will be a poor gate when the visitors are a minor outfit from the lower leagues and therefore a pretty weak crowd puller, rather than the kind of SPL club to which Inverness has become used.

I would be really disappointed if this kind of stuff was typical of The Herald which I thought had higher apsirations than being West Central Scotland's answer to the Nairnshire Telegraph.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I have just had a reply from the journalist who wrote the piece on Saturdays game. His claim is that his report was edited by a sub-editor because it was too long.

He carries on that not much positive could be writen about ICT anyway, apart from the new signings looking the part., and Partick played the better football.

Sounds like passing the buck, but fair play to him at least he replied.

I have just had a reply from the journalist who wrote the piece on Saturdays game. His claim is that his report was edited by a sub-editor because it was too long.

He carries on that not much positive could be writen about ICT anyway, apart from the new signings looking the part., and Partick played the better football.

I hopr you pointed out or are going to at least, that better football or not they got pumped out of the cup (in a nice way though). :rotflmao:

I hopr you pointed out or are going to at least, that better football or not they got pumped out of the cup (in a nice way though). :thumb04:

Rest assured he has been suitably reminded of the result :rotflmao:

Caley away is a nightmare draw for any team below the SPL. A long and expensive journey with an overnight stay(granted you do it every week but it doesn't detract from it being a long journey), a poor gate to compensate

Not a nightmare draw for County or Elgin I would have thought. And inevitably on the likes of last Saturday there will be a poor gate when the visitors are a minor outfit from the lower leagues and therefore a pretty weak crowd puller, rather than the kind of SPL club to which Inverness has become used.

I would be really disappointed if this kind of stuff was typical of The Herald which I thought had higher apsirations than being West Central Scotland's answer to the Nairnshire Telegraph.

This is an incredibly arrogant reply from a man, who has at least in the past (maybe still does) work for Radio Scotland (a national broadcaster). Thistle are not a "minor outfit from the lower leagues" but are in fact the team that are three places below Caley on current standings. Given current form it will be interesting to see the gap in league places in 8 months time.

So Caley away wouldn't be a nightmare draw for perhaps 2 or 3 of the SFL clubs? For the other 90% of SFL clubs it is the worst draw apart from being drawn against someone in your own division.

This is an incredibly arrogant reply from a man, who has at least in the past (maybe still does) work for Radio Scotland (a national broadcaster). Thistle are not a "minor outfit from the lower leagues" but are in fact the team that are three places below Caley on current standings. Given current form it will be interesting to see the gap in league places in 8 months time.

So Caley away wouldn't be a nightmare draw for perhaps 2 or 3 of the SFL clubs? For the other 90% of SFL clubs it is the worst draw apart from being drawn against someone in your own division.

Of course Wick would be better, the fact they had a 700+ mile return trip for their game against St Cuthberts in front of a couple of hundred and then a 500+ mile trip to Edinburgh City for a draw a month later really puts your pathetic arument in perspective. It's a game and if you want to compete you enter the competition if you wan't to moan about it you follow the only team in Glasgow.

Of course Wick would be better, the fact they had a 700+ mile return trip for their game against St Cuthberts in front of a couple of hundred and then a 500+ mile trip to Edinburgh City for a draw a month later really puts your pathetic arument in perspective. It's a game and if you want to compete you enter the competition if you wan't to moan about it you follow the only team in Glasgow.

I don't know the general standards of Wick, St Cuthberts and Edinburgh City. In the cup getting a team from far away, from a higher league, with few fans is a "nightmare draw". I'm sure Wick wouldn't have seen Stranraer away as a fantastic draw.

Must be pretty poor then, Caley are long dead.

I don't know the general standards of Wick, St Cuthberts and Edinburgh City. In the cup getting a team from far away, from a higher league, with few fans is a "nightmare draw". I'm sure Wick wouldn't have seen Stranraer away as a fantastic draw.

Far away?... Inverness from Glasgow? Not really. It's the kind of journey that teams like Inverness, Ross County, Elgin City, Aberdeen and Peterhead do, and further, on average fortnightly. There are actually several even longer trips in the Highland League. It's only a long way if you have Central Belt Syndrome and hence, for instance, have a moan if maybe Livingston rather than Clyde, win a cup replay, which means you have to travel something like 50 rather than 25 miles in the next round.

I used to have a lot of time for Partick Thistle in the days when I simply perceived them as a worthy third team in Glasgow, a civilised alternative to Old Firm hype and some of the excesses shown by certain of their supporters. However the extreme bad grace with which Partick refused to accept the natural order of things in the summer of 2004 and simply would not depart in a civilised manner to the Scottish Football League changed my perception entirely.

Whay can't Partick Thistle fans just get over it and accept that they are no longer big hitters in the Scottish game? It's a fate which has befallen others such as Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, St. Johnstone, Dundee etc. They have all been in the SPL, were relegated and have remained in the lower leagues and that is something they have accepted with a level of grace which, shall we say, has not been so apparent among a disappointingly large proportion of the Partick Thistle whose views I have experienced.

Of course it is not by any means inconceivable that Caley Thistle could also be relegated this season. However I am commenting here on a match which took place last Saturday - ie in the present where the situation is that Caley Thistle are an SPL club of five years' standing while Partick Thistle have spent almost all of the last decade or so in the lower leagues during which period I believe they have undergone three relegations.