FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee United -v- Ict : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Sending off. We were in their area, defensive line high. Ball came out over the defence and Swanson broke through to chase it. Duncan was quickest to see and act. He chased down and brought down Swanson. We were attacking, they broke. Perhaps the central defence should have stayed back but its easy to say with hindsight.

Their goal came from too many people in the box. Header in which Esson sees late and fumbles. Wilkie first on the ball and taps in.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent point that i would have taken before the game. This game was massively important in keeping the unbeaten run going, and keeping everyone focussed on survival. The players seem to have responded to this and from what i have heard played well and manager to hold on for a point when it looked very likely utd (who are without a doubt the 3rd best team in scotland) would go on to win it.

Looking at the after-match footage the players and big tel looked delighted with a point, was there a big support??

I hope the woodwork fans climb out for the hibs game, time to hype this one up hugely to tempt them off their armchairs.

Delighted with Eric Odhiambo, good to see him get a goal especially against utd.

One final word: duncan is an absolute hero who is working his socks off and playing with his heart on his sleeve. In my opinion one of the best players we have at the club who should get more praise. He reads the game and intercepts excellently. Right now, he has really started showing how much he wants us to stay up, along with dougie. Anyone who thinks we should punt a long-serving player such as Duncan is off their heads.

Wasn't at the game but it sounds like Russell did all he did to protect the lead and i respect him for that, shows he cares at least.

I'm not his biggest fan at all but he has been pritty decent last couple of games and could be missed. Although in saying that we have quality cover in Brian Kerr now and i'm sure we will relish this opportunity in the side, should he get it.

If a point was on offer at Tannidice at the start of today then i would have taken it but given the nature of it added by Falkirks fluky point i can't help but feel dissapointed.

Am i right in thinking that was Eric Odhiambo's first career goal???

Sending off. We were in their area, defensive line high. Ball came out over the defence and Swanson broke through to chase it. Duncan was quickest to see and act. He chased down and brought down Swanson. We were attacking, they broke. Perhaps the central defence should have stayed back but its easy to say with hindsight.

Their goal came from too many people in the box. Header in which Esson sees late and fumbles. Wilkie first on the ball and taps in.

Should have added. The break and resultant goal came after our free kick. Ball was cleared and our defense never got back in time.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

It was a good match. A very good performance by caley. Looked solid at the back and starting to look dangerous up front. Dissapointing goal to concede. Ref didnt have the best of matches. Cant have any complaints about the sending off though. He was clean through and russel duncan took one for the team. Good point but i would say Hibs and Motherwell are must win games.

Very good game. We had loads of fighting spirit and looked dangerous on the break but played very little football.

United pumped ball after ball into our box but we kept dealing with them. In the 10 minutes leading up to the sending off we were threatening to score a second goal and if Imrie had used the ball more intelligently then we would've had one long before that. It's difficult to criticise Dougie though. His passion is incredible and he has made himself the focal point of this team. If him and Eric can build a better understanding then we could see the return of great counter-attacking away days.

Russell Duncan was my man of the match. In the first half he was winning everything and playing the simple pass afterwards. He is hugely important in away games and did what he had to do after Lionel's mistake.

We've got loads of hope and belief under the new regime - the next step is to convert that into home wins.

So - who was at fault fer the sending off and the lead up to the goal ?

Would have to see it again Johndo. It was a quick break, we were attacking and Swanson was suddenly played in through the middle but I'm sure there was no left back. Either Ross or Pavels or somebody was thereabouts to the right, but somebody had to tackle him and quick. Nobody could have caught him except Russell. He just about got the ball it seemed to me, but brought him down. I was up on my feet shouting that he played the ball.

It was far out, say 35 yards, but Craig Thomson was right into his pocket and judged it a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Edit: I see I missed a page of replies :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

Edited by The Mantis

Just seen the red card on Alba.

Russell played the feckin ball!

If it's clear he played the ball maybe the club can appeal it, no?

I hope so. The touch he got on the ball was far more that the over-turned penalty at Tynecastle last weekend, and he played the ball before the man.

Just heard TB's interview. He seems to agree it was a deserved red, and Russell probably would have said something to him if it wasn't.

At first look it seemed fair enough, but on the replay Russel clearly gets a decent nick on the ball before he trips the man. I hope TB has a good look at the video.

Just watched the whole thing on Alba, having successfully managed to avoid hearing the score through the day...

Mid-way through the second half I was convinced 3 points were in the bag - we completely dominated the game and only lacked someone up front to fnish Utd off...

Terrible howler from Imrie - who deserved his MoM, when he had a choice of scoring himself or laying it on a plate for Eric... He chose to hit it weakly straight at Zaluska...

Although I would have happily accepted a point at the start of this one I was surprised to see TB looking so pleased at the end. If I had been in his place I would have been blo0dy annoyed that we didn't manage to finish this one off...

Zebadee must have been another contender for MoM... what a signing he's proved to be.

It was a deserved red card for Russel - they would have scored if he hadn't made that sacrifice.

Edited by Johnboy

Just heard TB's interview. He seems to agree it was a deserved red, and Russell probably would have said something to him if it wasn't.

At first look it seemed fair enough, but on the replay Russel clearly gets a decent nick on the ball before he trips the man. I hope TB has a good look at the video.

He may well have got a touch on the ball but, from where I was sitting and I knew what would happen, Russel was intent on stopping the opportunity. He knew what would happen but he went ahead. He played for the team regardless of outcome. Good on you Russelldinho

He may well have got a touch on the ball but, from where I was sitting and I knew what would happen, Russel was intent on stopping the opportunity. He knew what would happen but he went ahead. He played for the team regardless of outcome. Good on you Russelldinho

Oh yes. It looked a stick on red card on the telly at normal speed.

I just think that we should try and use the system to our advantage if possible.

Guess it's a sign of how much Butcher has improved our confidence that I came away yesterday feeling a bit disappointed about us only getting a point. Fair result, but after an hour or so I was daring to hope. Another really spirited performance, though. Duncan, as many have already mentioned, had an excellent first half in particular. Black stood out in the second and covered Duncan's absence really well when Duncan was sent off. I like the look of Imrie and Odihambo up front - load of pace and effort and a little skill too, although as someone said earlier, they still need to build a better understanding. The defence fought for everything and apart from the goal coped reasonably well with a fair bit of pressure. Actually felt Munro was more commanding than Midhadjuks today, but there's no doubt they're the best CB partnership we've had in a couple of seasons. Esson makes a big difference too - he may have fumbled for the goal but he got everything else. I suspect opponents feel far more intimidated playing against him than they do against Fraser. Zadi made a few more good interceptions and strong clearing headers, and although there was also a fair bit of wild slashing at the ball as the second half went on, I think that overall this back four clears its lines far more effectively than the previous line-up where was Hastings at LB and Rosscoe seemed to push forward more. As for the wider players, Foran won a lot in the air, used the ball well and tracked back well, without really imposing himself as a creative force, while Proctor was probably our quietest player without doing anything wrong.

Although I'd like to see a little more creativity from the midfield, I think Butcher's strategy of retaining a successful line-up is the right one. Two changes will be enforced on him next week - I'm sure he'll take the opportunity to give Kerr his chance, and while I'd like to see Vigurs get the other place, I wouldn't be surprised if Butcher opted for the experience of McBain. A few winnable games coming up, and if we keep up yesterday's attitude and get a little more sharpness into the team going forward, we'll start picking up points.

Edited by alternative maryhill

This was the best game I've seen Imrie have, he gave the utd defence a torrid time and they weren't at all comfortable with his direct running and constant harrying. Really got up their noses.

Pity he made some wrong pass or run decisions when we were hitting on the break.

This was the best game I've seen Imrie have, he gave the utd defence a torrid time and they weren't at all comfortable with his direct running and constant harrying. Really got up their noses.

Pity he made some wrong pass or run decisions when we were hitting on the break.

If his first touch wasn't quite so heavy he could have had a boatload yesterday.