FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

new brithish legion web site-inverness

Feb82000

1.  The URL is too long

2.  Never a good idea to have a graphic intensive home page.

3.  Home page should be informative and explain the site - at the moment it's just a few blurry pics.

4.  Page doesn't fit the width of a 1024 x 768 screen which is the most used resolution these days (hate to see what it looks like on an 800 x 600 screen)

5.  Tables/Frames all broken in Firefox browser - in the region of 20% of visitors to this site use Firefox.

6.  What do Runners and Basketball players have to do with the British Legion?

7.  Too many different fonts in different areas

8.  The "About Us" section is far too long winded.  Needs to be summarised with some of the stuff going in to different sections.

9.  Forum links to an external site taking people away from the main site - at the very least it should open in the main frame although integrating it properly into the actual site would be the best way (a lesson we learned here)

10.  Page headers are far too big and dominate the page also meaning a lot of scrolling down just to see if the info.

All that is without going in and looking at the source code and the mechanics of the site.

My advice - if your going to be doing webpages for other people, get away from using these SiteBuilder and Template packages offered by free hosting companies.  Take the time to research the different methods of site building and then spend a lot of time practicing.

Scotty and I spent over a year looking at the different packages/software available for doing sites before making any start on putting this site together.  We then spent 1500 hours putting the site together before we so much as let anyone else see it.  Even then we never got it right first time, so you have to have a system which allows you to make changes to the site without too much trouble.  Their are hundreds of pages that make up this site, if we want/need to change things template (as we did recently) then you want to be able to do that by changing as few files as possible, not having to go through and change every page on your site manually.

Websites for organisations such as the British Legion should not look like they have been knocked together in someones lunch hour, which I'm afraid to say, that one does.

Did you take the photos, they are all out of focus.............or are the people just all blurry :017:

Manny, eh can confirm from experiance any time i've been in their have been a lot of blurry people,usually getting more blurry the later at night for some reason

Jonboy,Eh can honestly say eh'v never woken up wi anyone fae the Legion,blurry or otherwise  :004:

You mean you've never woken up in the morning with a blurry figure beside you and thought : My God - Did I come home with that?

:017: :017: