FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Back To The Top Policy?

caley100

Just heard on the radio that after the directors meeting at TCS last night they have all agreed on a ' straight back up ' policy.

I never heard the full story, but i presume that it means funds to supply Butch with all he should require for a swift rtn to the top league.

Edited by caley100

Good to hear positive commitment like that. However, it's easier said than done.

Most of the clubs relegated in previous seasons have said the same thing and have been amongst the favourites to come straight back up. Here's how they fared.

St Mirren - 8th

St Johnstone - 3rd

Partick - relegated again!

Dundee - 7th

Livi - 6th

Dunfermline - 5th

Gretna - bust

So statistically we are more likely to end up in the bottom half of the league than the top, and going straight back up seems unachievable for whatever reason. Why can relegated teams not get to grips with the First Division?

I think both players and fans are going to be in for a big surprise next season. The 1st division is an ultra competitive league with very closely matched teams battling it out from start to finish. If we adopt the attitude that we are 'better' than the teams already there we are in trouble. Everyone is going to raise there game when they play us and it's going to be a long, hard season

The biggest thing we have going in our favour is that we don't have a crippling debt which will send us into immediate oblivion and meltdown, meaning that all effort can be concentrated on getting the job done on the field.

Granted it's only a couple of days in, but all we've had so far is that the fans and local businesses will need to keep supporting the club and doing their part...would be nice to hear something about what part the Board will be playing other than having meetings and stating the bleeding obvious in the press.

Simple question....what form will this "Support" the board are offering to TB & MM take? Will they be investing directly or seeking investment, will they be talking to the Bank Manager and arranging an overdraft....what? I'm all for a policy of pushing straight for the top, but what's the cost?

Being debt free i suppose is one of the very few things we can praise our board for i guess.

If we can keep those out of contract players as well then we go down with a very strong squad. Thats if we keep them.

If it proves to be the case then i think we have an excellent chance of bouncing back.

Yes i hope we can keep all we have offered contracts as they have all played pretty vital roles since January for the majority of them and they are needed to try and get promoted again.

Good to hear positive commitment like that. However, it's easier said than done.

Most of the clubs relegated in previous seasons have said the same thing and have been amongst the favourites to come straight back up. Here's how they fared.

St Mirren - 8th

St Johnstone - 3rd

Dundee - 7th

Livi - 6th

Dunfermline - 5th

Gretna - bust

So statistically we are more likely to end up in the bottom half of the league than the top, and going straight back up seems unachievable for whatever reason. Why can relegated teams not get to grips with the First Division?

I believe Hibs and Dundee United were both able to come straight back up after they were relegated. I don't know enough about those clubs of the time, any of the older folk on here know what was different about those club's set up that they were able to come straight back up?

They are much bigger clubs than us but maybe we have more in common with those teams that made it straight back up than we think.

St Mirren - 8th

St Johnstone - 3rd

Dundee - 7th

Livi - 6th

Dunfermline - 5th

Gretna - bust

I believe Hibs and Dundee United were both able to come straight back up after they were relegated. I don't know enough about those clubs of the time, any of the older folk on here know what was different about those club's set up that they were able to come straight back up?

They are much bigger clubs than us but maybe we have more in common with those teams that made it straight back up than we think.

No club has come straight back up to the SPL in its present format. Hibs went down from the old set up and came back to the new. I hadn't realised DU had ever gone down.

Of the clubs that have been relegated since 1998/99 most have also been close to or in administration and so were unable to keep vital players or to support a serious attempt to get back. We have a big advantage in that we do have a desire and wherewithall to return.

The board are not obliged to, nor would I expect them to, tell us what support they have in place but it is there and it is real. A few people of affluence are hurt by the 'ICT shouldn't be there' attitude from the central belt and are determined to 'stick it right up them'. The chairman and the manager are in full support and as determined as everyone to show we deserve to be in that league.

Hibs had home crowds in excess 10,000 in the first division so were able to spend their way out. Dundee United had much greater resourses than we do. While not beyond us bouncing back in one season will be far from easy. Dundee have recently had a cash injection as well as a number of years experience of the division and a vastly experienced manager.

In my opinion, they start as favourites.

Dundee United only came back up via a play off.

We are in a much better position than many of the relegated clubs have been over the past few season.

Lets not get c0cky or complacent tho. Let Dundee splash all the cash they like while we quietly get on with things.

I'm not convinced the present management team have the right credentials to bring us straight back up again..

Their track record in football management, could at best only be described as patchy.

I'd suggest if after 6 SFL games we are not in the top 3 in that league, it would be time to think again.

I'm not convinced the present management team have the right credentials to bring us straight back up again..

Their track record in football management, could at best only be described as patchy.

I'd suggest if after 6 SFL games we are not in the top 3 in that league, it would be time to think again.

You have posted almost the same identical statement in about 10 different threads.

Butcher hasn't had a chance to do what he wants with his own squad so far. He has been pinned back to only the players left behind by the previous management team and forced to play stuffy survival football with them. Give the man a chance and if you want him replaced that badly start a thread about it so that all the sane people on this forum can safely avoid you.

In my opinion, they start as favourites.

If we can keep morais, foran and kerr with the guys who are already under contract i think we'll be joint favourites

Edited by WYNESS101