FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Whisky

The Mantis

(especially those quirky ones in the foreign casks)

I think I'm right in saying that pretty much all the casks used in Scotch are foreign, having previously been used for bourbon or sherry. But I know exactly what you are meaning, port or madeira finish etc. Don't like them at all myself, you can't really beat the original.

Whisky's produced specifically for blending will be matured in new or used whisky casks. The majority of single malts will have been matured in bourbon or sherry casks. This came about in the days when most of the worlds bottling was done in the UK so an abundance of those casks were available. Some of the previous content of the cask is leeched out of the wood by the whisky which adds to the flavour. Nowadays sherry is bottled in Spain and those casks are re-used in that country so less are being used for whisky. Bourbon casks are the preffered option now. Silly law says that bourbon must be matured in new casks.

There are some excellent malts that are matured in virgin casks.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Last one of any note was a 15yo Oban, which was kinda OK. But, having drunk the cratur all my life, I went off it a bit, and have now developed a penchant for vodka (current favourite zubrowka, the bison grass stuff) and Gin (current favourite Blackwoods 60) Is this strange for a bona fide old git?

Poof.

GlenRothes is a nice tipple too but seems easier to get in the US.

I'll get my coat..........