FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Language

mikeyboy

Mrs L also is not English but hers is good and she is helping a neighbours daughter with her English. She acquired a Janet and John reading book on Ebay and uses it , but one sentence had her stumped ,

Janet and John live in a Green House, why do they live in a house that grows flowers?? she asked!!

If the complications of the English language were not enough on their own, things are made even worse by the huge variety of accents throughout the country.

The joke: Q. What's the difference between a bison and a buffalo? A. You can't wash your hands in a buffalo! only becomes funny when said in a brummie accent.

Even people in other parts of the UK can really struggle to understand what is being said in a broad Aberdonian or Glaswegian accent, for instance.

It never ceases to amaze me just how well people cope with English as their non native tongue

Ah I see now Alex but I have noticed a lot of folk miss the "er" at the end of the word too. My apologies but it just goes to show how language can be misinterpreted through lack of information.

EDIT- Alex, you work on the rigs, have you noticed (I certainly have on ships) how when compiling an inventory, or stock checking, people will write "off" as opposed to "of" when numbering the amount of items ROB? Any idea why?

Probably for the same reason as they write there when they mean they're or your when they mean you're

Ah I see now Alex but I have noticed a lot of folk miss the "er" at the end of the word too. My apologies but it just goes to show how language can be misinterpreted through lack of information.

EDIT- Alex, you work on the rigs, have you noticed (I certainly have on ships) how when compiling an inventory, or stock checking, people will write "off" as opposed to "of" when numbering the amount of items ROB? Any idea why?

Probably for the same reason as they write there when they mean they're or your when they mean you're

Off is actually correct when it comes to stock strangely enough and in engineering when listing components/spares etc..

Off is actually correct when it comes to stock strangely enough and in engineering when listing components/spares etc..

Any idea why? I have asked many chief engineers and none have given me a reason. The only thing I can think of is that the part, for example, is off the engine (or other piece of machinery).

Edited by Revbirdog

Check your knuckles for cuts and you may get a glimpse of what I'm getting at.

:010: ;) :015:

A quick check has revealed plenty off spanner rash and scars received from people head butting my hands but none from dragging along the ground.