FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best and worst grounds...

Bridge_Ender

Just wondered what grounds people have been to and which ones they rate as fantastic and which they would rather forget! Not so much for the game itself but for the venue, what it has to offer, etc. etc.!

For me anyway it's:

Best - Arsenals Emirates Stadium. Not a bad view to be had, 60,000 padded seats, plenty of food and drink outlets, easy access to and from and designed to make the most of the atmosphere. Just a fantastic venue.

Worst - Cliftonhill (Albion Rovers). A condemned terrace on one side, nothing at either end, a huge flight of stairs to ascend to reach pitch level, and it's in Coatbridge!!

Best - Tynecastle. Might surprise a few folk but the atmosphere is fantastic and not far for me to travel!

Worst - Old Bayview . Just remember it being a dump and think I had a bad pie experience. Central Park is another rotten ground.

Best for view has to be Tynecastle,steep and close to the pitch and no a bad atmosphere, worst was a cold rainy february night in Methill, Fife... what the feck was i doing there watching a game of footie????

Best ever atmosphere was at old Hampden 100.000 scots singing flower of scotland.. talk about the hairs on the back of yer neck.

Best: Santiago Bernabeu. Real Madrid vs Valencia Great atmosphere stadium has great access facilities etc.

Worst: Old Mestalla Valencia. Past it, So steep that if you sit up in the heavens you feel as if you are going to fall onto the pitch.

Edited by Oz647

For unfriendly people and atmoshere. Ignorant bar staff in the nearest pub etc then Ayr takes a bit of beating.

Really? shok.gif

I loved the trip to Ayr last October. Everyone in the ticket-office was super-nice and they even allowed us to use the toilets inside the main reception. (We arrived ridiculously early.) A lovely fella then showed us the 'Trophy Room' and couldn't have been nicer. (I later realised he was one of the directors, and the one who carried the tray of pies onto the pitch just before kick-off snoozer_koo-koo_mini.gif Various Ayr players arrived and said hello etc...

Then we pumped them 5-1 dance3.gif Loved it. Great day out. Great place.

(My mum was from Prestwick so I have plenty fond memories of childhood holidays in that area too.)

My favourite ground: Elland Road Laie_98.gif

Least favourite: Old Trafford wink.gif

Best stadium - Murrayfield(no atmosphere anywhere else in the world can beat it when Scotland play England)

Worst - Hampden - only because the 2 times ive been(both semi finals) the stadium has been less than a quarter full.

Hampden for a Scotland game is miles better than Murrayfield!!

Don't know what it says about my taste in football grounds, but Ayr is among my favourites. I also love Cliftonhill, but that is partially nostalgia as I saw my first ICT game there back in '96-'97.

Nothing against the clubs, but I really dislike Hamilton's ground, and also Falkirk's. They're too functional and lacking in any real character (especially compared to Brockville in Falkirk's case) I'm sure they'd level the same accusation at TCS.

For atmosphere and decent nearby pubs, the two Edinburgh grounds win it for me though: Tynecastle is probably the better of the two.

Best stadium - Murrayfield(no atmosphere anywhere else in the world can beat it when Scotland play England)

Worst - Hampden - only because the 2 times ive been(both semi finals) the stadium has been less than a quarter full.

Hampden for a Scotland game is miles better than Murrayfield!!

Depends whose playing. But its true, you cant beat a Scotland victory over England at murrayfield

but, Camp Nou - Barca - top class

Worst - Raydale Park, Gretna