FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who wanted him out and when?

Harry Chibber

Personally I have maintained an overall faith in TB throughout the season - mainly because I feel that if we do stay in the SFL then his presence will suffice to keep the large majority of the squad and we would be in a better position to go up the season after. I would now say that his ability to attract loan players and youngsters if we do make the SPL also pleases me - to a degree - but it rankles that we would have to rely on loans to get us through.

Personally I would rather focus on the here and now.

I had big doubts about Terry and June, based mainly on past record coupled with the distraction of the Scotland job and I agree, since that has been taken away it is no coincidence that our fortunes have changed. I also agree that it is personal for Butcher - like (or perhaps even more than) the players, there is always one eye on what else is out there and where next to progress a career, and football like many other industries is one where you are only as good as your last job.

Butcher will be looking to add promotion to the SPL on first attempt as a major qualification on his CV. Question is, will he stay with us once we move up or will the next Rangers / Celtic (nae likely but . . .) / Aberdeen / Hearts etc etc vacancy tempt him away - or even move to the English leagues?