FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Will anyone else miss the SFL?

Ice_G

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more delighted that we'll be promoted; and I want to see us compete at the top level and win against the biggest teams..... but there's a part of me that has really enjoyed being back in the First.

Sticking it to the caravan-dwellers is always great, and as belief has grown through the season I've loved expectin rather than hoping to win games.

Will anyone else grudgingly miss elements of the gritty old SFL?

I will miss the cheaper away day - as I said on the other thread going to traditional older style footie grounds even standing on terraces. Due to lower crowds the banter is better and it is always relatively easy to get from A to B. Away fans have always felt more welcoming in the SFL and of course winning on a regular basis helps as well. The one thing that I really do not like about the SPL is the "split", more regular OTT stewarding, the influence of the Old filth and being squeezed into corners of grounds.

I will miss the cheaper away day - as I said on the other thread going to traditional older style footie grounds even standing on terraces. Due to lower crowds the banter is better and it is always relatively easy to get from A to B. Away fans have always felt more welcoming in the SFL and of course winning on a regular basis helps as well. The one thing that I really do not like about the SPL is the "split", more regular OTT stewarding, the influence of the Old filth and being squeezed into corners of grounds.

agree with a lot of that

My only "live" SPL experience this year was our Cup defeat at Kilmarnock. If the arrogance (of Conor Sammon celebrating Killie's first goal in front of the ICT fans) and so-called professionalism (in time wasting by Jamie Hamill and others) of the Kilmarnock players is anything to go by then much of the joy of football has gone from the SPL. Our support was magnificent that day even if Killie did run out of pies!

Let's hope that we can bring our SFL inspired joy of football to brighten up what appears to have become an otherwise dull SPL. We're very much looking forward to a trip "doon the watter" to Ayr on Saturday. :lol:

You took that too far.

Why ? wouldnt it be good to have the local Derbys & the Central Belters having to come up north more .

Between St johnstone , Aberdeen , Dundee U. & then if County went up some of our away days would be shorter trips

Div1 has provided some great entertainment this season, and for me represents much better value for money than the SPL.

Now that we're more or less back in the top flight we should be arguing the case for league reconstruction as strongly as we possibly can. County, Dundee, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline or QoS should all be there too.

You took that too far.

Why ? wouldnt it be good to have the local Derbys & the Central Belters having to come up north more .

Between St johnstone , Aberdeen , Dundee U. & then if County went up some of our away days would be shorter trips

Chill oot mun. I was jokeen.

I'll miss the County games in fact i hope they win promotion next year :D

I'd like County to win the league next year as well, get some derby games in the SPL

I'd prefer it if they went up as part of a restructuring process in second or third place, derby matches are the best days out.

EEP - bridies

starks bar and starks park - the stewards there are cool.

Games against Dundee - there have been some crackers this season.

The away games to county. It's great to be on terracing

Munns beer garden pre-partick thistle games

Ayr away - great trip and great how we're not really segregated down there.

Cheaper ticket prices

Aside from these, it will be great to be back in the SPL. There's a lot of business generated for the local economy and that can only be a good thing.

Oh, and we'll be top six next year, pushing for European football.

Agree 100%

Munns beer garden pre-partick thistle games

What a great discovery that was!

For me, this has been the most exciting season ever, better than the last promotion. The last time we sneaked up at the last moment, this time we have enjoyed the depths of despair, the chase, the catch up the overtake and the cruise into the distance. It has taken most people by surprise, but we were always in contention, albeit a bit further off the pace than most fans would have liked. The weather has also played it's part as games in hand and points in the bag made the table a bit skew-wiff. It's all come together perfectly, against all odds part two.

Agree with all so far. This season has been fun. I never expected to go back up, I always presumed that Airdrie, having never planned for promotion, would go back down, so even at the (s)lowest points of the season I wasn't worrying. In fact, I never started worrying til last month...

And the highs and lows of possible promotion are infinitely better than fights against relegation. But think at the moment we could take most of the bottom six with ease.

I reckon the SFL has been quality, and reconnected a lot of us back to the core values of being a football supporter. It's just a shame that aberdeen fans won't get to replicate that. East End Park - quality. Standard of football - quality. ALBA cup final wrong result but still quality. I'll miss that, but I will enjoy waving bye bye to falkirk on the way past.

For me, this has been the most exciting season ever, better than the last promotion. The last time we sneaked up at the last moment, this time we have enjoyed the depths of despair, the chase, the catch up the overtake and the cruise into the distance. It has taken most people by surprise, but we were always in contention, albeit a bit further off the pace than most fans would have liked. The weather has also played it's part as games in hand and points in the bag made the table a bit skew-wiff. It's all come together perfectly, against all odds part two.

Agree with all the above.

The day we get a decent-minded contributor on here like Heilandee called 'Heilanhun' or 'Heilantim' is the day I might change my opinion of the bile and utter nonsense that is the SPL. It's the SFL for me but, dammit, we need to be in with the big boys. (Games might be screened in local Irish bar so that's a personal plus!)

I will miss terracing

I will miss cheap away games

I will miss the excitment

I will miss the Dunfermline steak Bridees :D :lol:

I will miss the derbies

I will mis the chase of promotion

I will miss good crack with PROPER football fans

I really will miss the SPL :lol: