FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Lionel Djebi Zadi

MeadowEnder

Remember that Hereford is not at SPL level. Terry Butcher rated Lionel very highly initially and used him as his regular left back in the SPL. He even suggested to Lionel that he would contact his international manager.

Lionel lost his place when the former club captain was re-signed. Lionel is a great guy and can perform some amazing tricks. He had 50% of the supporters loving him. A case of Vive la France.

Lionel really has the potential to be an outstanding star at Hereford's level. The same goes for Stratford.

Lionel is a bit of a folk hero up here. Half our fans just wanted him to folk off.

A very entertaining and unpredictable marauding left wing back, and strong tackler. A joy to watch on a good day when charging up the flank. But a very flawed defender. Error prone and a bit clumsy, with terrible defensive positioning sense. That last point is what holds him back from being an overall pretty good player.

In short, Lionel can cause chaos for defences at both ends of the pitch. I liked him though, for sheer entertainment value.

Edit - oh, and when he sticks to short, simple passes they are still likely to go out for a throw in.

Edited by Yngwie

Remember that Hereford is not at SPL level. Terry Butcher rated Lionel very highly initially and used him as his regular left back in the SPL. He even suggested to Lionel that he would contact his international manager.

Lionel lost his place when the former club captain was re-signed. Lionel is a great guy and can perform some amazing tricks. He had 50% of the supporters loving him. A case of Vive la France.

Lionel really has the potential to be an outstanding star at Hereford's level. The same goes for Stratford.

:love06: :023: You're having a laugh. Suggested contacting his national manager, that's close to the most ridiculous thing I've ever read here! Unless he has relations from the Seychelles then I don't think Butcher would be that stupid.

Anyway Lionel was a disaster of a football player, fresh air kicks, tripping over the ball etc. He was good for a laugh and that's why some people liked him. I've never seen an ICT player getting booed during a game before and no suprise that he was dropped for a 35 year old and even when he was unavaliable Butcher played someone out of position in left back rather than give Lionel a game!

Inconsistent is the word that first comes to mind. You'd see him one week and he'd be quite good, and then you'd see him the next week and he'd be dreadful. I don't think he was quite as bad as some made out, but at times you really did think there was a chance that he was going shoot at his own goal or any other crazy thing you can think of. He is quick and has a few tricks, and I always thought he could make it as a winger, but at left back he's often a accident waiting to happen, though an entertaining one, I have to say.

A typical Lionel moment? - On the first home game of last season against Ayr United, Lionel got position of the ball in his part of the field. He then slalomed like an Olympic skier round the entire Ayr squad, until he got to the bi-line where he booted the ball into the stand! That was a typical Lionel moment.

Look, Lionel did not let Skippy's reputation affect his tackling:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7859031.stm

''One of the startling transformations of Butcher's short time in Inverness is with Lionel Djebi-Zadi. The colossal, muscular French full-back made only a fleeting, error-strewn appearance under Craig Brewster earlier in the season.

As he was against Celtic, though, Djebi-Zadi looked immense yesterday. After 32 minutes, he controlled and shimmied inside Willie Gibson and then released Foran with an inch-perfect diagonal pass.''

'http://caleythistleonline.com/news/archives/102-matches-2008-09-/643-wilson-testimonial-v-liverpool-xi

'Another new face at ICT this year, Lionel Djebi-Zadi, had been working tirelessly the entire match, and my report probably doesn?t do him justice, but he gets his mention here as his efforts paid dividends with only 7 minutes to go and his cross found Proctor who, after a bit of a defensive nightmare by Liverpool, stuck the ball away to secure the 5-0 victory for the home team.''

Edited by CELTIC1CALEY3

''One of the startling transformations of Butcher's short time in Inverness is with Lionel Djebi-Zadi. The colossal, muscular French full-back made only a fleeting, error-strewn appearance under Craig Brewster earlier in the season.

As he was against Celtic, though, Djebi-Zadi looked immense yesterday. After 32 minutes, he controlled and shimmied inside Willie Gibson and then released Foran with an inch-perfect diagonal pass.''

'http://caleythistleonline.com/news/archives/102-matches-2008-09-/643-wilson-testimonial-v-liverpool-xi

'Another new face at ICT this year, Lionel Djebi-Zadi, had been working tirelessly the entire match, and my report probably doesn't do him justice, but he gets his mention here as his efforts paid dividends with only 7 minutes to go and his cross found Proctor who, after a bit of a defensive nightmare by Liverpool, stuck the ball away to secure the 5-0 victory for the home team.''

Putting Liverpool in bold doesn't change it from being Liverpool's youth team. A couple of decent games, one against teenagers doesn't make up for the countless awful games he had.

'Another new face at ICT this year, Lionel Djebi-Zadi, had been working tirelessly the entire match, and my report probably doesn't do him justice, but he gets his mention here as his efforts paid dividends with only 7 minutes to go and his cross found Proctor who, after a bit of a defensive nightmare by Liverpool, stuck the ball away to secure the 5-0 victory for the home team.''

Putting Liverpool in bold doesn't change it from being Liverpool's youth team. A couple of decent games, one against teenagers doesn't make up for the countless awful games he had.

Lionel was always exciting to watch...when he stuck to the simple stuff he was bearable it was when he tried to get clever and start playing football it went horribly wrong...will always remember that tackle from the pre-season county game when he nearly decapitated someone on there side though :)

I think you would find him interesting. He is quite capable of doing a Ronnie Radford but it would be a 50:50 chance of whether it was intended as a shot or a pass back.

The lad has obviouosly got a lot of natural ability. It is a question of how capable he is of learning how to use his talents and what guidance he gets on and off the park. With a good leader in the defence to keep him right I think he could do a useful job - as long as you don't mind your heart being in your mouth from time to time.

Looking on positives he is very good getting forward, despite his height he can be quite fast, and he can be quite solid in the tackle, his weaknesses tend to be his positional awareness and a tendancy to overplay at the back sometimes. He also has the ability to produce the unexpected such as scissors kicks in his own penalty area., your sure to get a laugh.

If he settles into the first 5 minutes comfortably then he will probably have a decent game, if he starts of by making a mistake you can be almost sure if won't be his last.

He does have talent, it's just a case of unlocking it consistently, hope he gets a deal and turns out well.

Edited by ajsict92

I am on record as having suggested to the Manager more than once that to get the best of Lionel's talents he nedds to be given a chance as a winger--as someone on here has just said.

But no. The Pimple's advice was never taken. So I suggest that you avoid the danger of his defensive mistakes by suggesting to your Manager , strongly, that he put the raging bull on the wing and he will not only be effective but will decimate the defenses up agin him. And probably turn out to be a super confident, super controlled SENSATION. :lol: :)

Good luck

I am on record as having suggested to the Manager more than once that to get the best of Lionel's talents he nedds to be given a chance as a winger--as someone on here has just said.

But no. The Pimple's advice was never taken. So I suggest that you avoid the danger of his defensive mistakes by suggesting to your Manager , strongly, that he put the raging bull on the wing and he will not only be effective but will decimate the defenses up agin him. And probably turn out to be a super confident, super controlled SENSATION. :lol: :)

Good luck

He was given one game at left midfield and if you thought he was a bad defender you should have seen him on the wing! He looked completely lost and ended up just passing the ball straight out of play under no pressure. Not suprising he wasn't given another chance there.

Ldz, When he was good he was very very good

and when he was bad he was awful.

Fast going up the left flank but I would say that he is better at stopping the opposition at left back than running past the opposition in midfield. He had a lot of good days and the occasional bad one.

Edited by 12th Man

i wish him good luck and hope he gets a contract. He was very entertaining but did make a few mistakes here and there. that said i still think he was better at throw ins than most of our team.

I think you would find him interesting. He is quite capable of doing a Ronnie Radford but it would be a 50:50 chance of whether it was intended as a shot or a pass back.

The lad has obviouosly got a lot of natural ability. It is a question of how capable he is of learning how to use his talents and what guidance he gets on and off the park. With a good leader in the defence to keep him right I think he could do a useful job - as long as you don't mind your heart being in your mouth from time to time.

He is a total liability and i never enjoyed watching him play as i always thought he would give away the ball that would lead to a goal and this did happen on a few occasions.

If he signs for you at hereford then i would be very worried indeed

It's eexie-peexie for the wing then?

His bursts of frenetic mayhem up the left side of the park did, however, impress me though and I would sooner be running alongside him than facing him coming at me--then again I am relatively small so ...that's understandable ^_^

But he once had a marvellous foot intervention almost on the goal line going at full tilt which saved a certain goal so, like most of us , what's a wee flaw or twa between friends.

C'mon give Lionel a fair chance . Football is surely all about entertainment and there is value for money there.

:(