FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Confidence running high

PullMyFinger

Apart from being deliberately over the top, my point was that the SPL is one of the worst leagues in Europe, the quality is absolutley abysmal. Any team willing to put a bit of effort in should do very well.

Edited by kilda

Sure is. I like the look of Hibs but they have a chronic failure at the back. No leader. No hatchet man. No big ugly defender that would rather break a leg or two than let a dandy dance by with some silky skills

...which is pretty amazing when you consider John Hughes is the manager! What next? Tony Mowbray wanting to play like Barcelona?

And would you like to enlighten me as to what part may be 'taking the ****!'

I'd hazard a guess its because you have Dundee Utd top of the league and maybe ICT in the top 6

It's more to do with United being top.

Someone could split the Old firm but they're aren't finishing higher than both of them.

Caley being top 6 is always a slight possobility as there is always 1 top 6 place which changes a fair bit.

We'll finish 9th or 10th. I think some folk are a tad blinded by the fact that 50% of the teams we played last season were absolute mince.

50% of the teams we're gonna play this season are also mince

Too true, so we should do alright.:ictscarf:

This season more than any of the other's before has me feeling both excited and nervous as hell. I believe the team we have at the moment is one of the best we have had for a few years now (playing the system we play now), but I'd hate it all to go downhill.

One thing I can say for definite is that it will take a while for us get going. I think we play 5 of last year's top six in our opening six games, with a few points picked up there. After then we can start taking points away from our rivals.

And would you like to enlighten me as to what part may be 'taking the ****!'

I'd hazard a guess its because you have Dundee Utd top of the league and maybe ICT in the top 6

It's more to do with United being top.

Someone could split the Old firm but they're aren't finishing higher than both of them.

Caley being top 6 is always a slight possobility as there is always 1 top 6 place which changes a fair bit.

Way back before last season started I suggested that we could go straight back up because I couldn't see anything from what other teams were doing that would stop us. I said that Dundee had brought in too many players that would not gel in the team. I didn't see County managing to sustain any success. I di, however, suggest the maybe Queens would run with us to the end. I was slated by many for my opinions at that time.

I dont think United will win the SPL but I do think they could be top (just) at the split.

This season more than any of the other's before has me feeling both excited and nervous as hell. I believe the team we have at the moment is one of the best we have had for a few years now (playing the system we play now), but I'd hate it all to go downhill.

One thing I can say for definite is that it will take a while for us get going. I think we play 5 of last year's top six in our opening six games, with a few points picked up there. After then we can start taking points away from our rivals.

It will also take time for others to get going. The OF will both have a lot of changes so there is no reason we can't take a few points of them early in the season.

Celtic are also being aggressive in the type and number of players that they are signing/ pursuing.

The opening game may be too much for our team to handle unless Terry says..."boys the only way we have a good chance of winning is to go all out in attack and let our great goalies handle the green deluge" .

Could be a good game or a very defensive, dour struggle. Either way I predict that it will give both the Manager and the fans a whole lot to think about.

Celtic may have some (new) dark horses in the pack but they all have lots of experience so let's see what happens.

I hope the whole team but particularly the defence arte very fit by opening day. :_talktalktalk:

We'll finish 9th or 10th. I think some folk are a tad blinded by the fact that 50% of the teams we played last season were absolute mince.

50% of the teams we're gonna play this season are also mince

The teams you speak of are clearly going to be of a higher standard than the ones we played against last season. A higher standard of mince if you will. Marks and Spencers mince.

More like Tesco value mince. If you look at the ins/ outs and factor in managerial changes etc, IMHO we're up on Kilmarnock, Hamilton, St Midden and St. Johnstone. That'll do for starters. Rangers have been denuded of what little talent they possessed, Cellic will take time to gel (and they hate coming up here anyway) That's a good basis for competing in this diddy league. Confidence is indeed running high.

More like Tesco value mince. If you look at the ins/ outs and factor in managerial changes etc, IMHO we're up on Kilmarnock, Hamilton, St Midden and St. Johnstone. That'll do for starters. Rangers have been denuded of what little talent they possessed, Cellic will take time to gel (and they hate coming up here anyway) That's a good basis for competing in this diddy league. Confidence is indeed running high.

Perhaps I wasn't clear before - I'm talking about Airdrie Utd, Ayr United, Morton etc. These teams were mince. The teams you mention certainly aren't in the same bracket. To have them in the same bracket is foolish and ill-informed.

Starchief--Bullard is not coming to Parkhead.

But I was watching Neil lennon's interview carefully and that gent is no dummy.

In fact I was surprised how lucid and possessed of common sense he appeared to be. He may have been a "wee, diving nyaff" on the park to some but the impression that he left with me is that he is much more insightful and intelligent than many might think.

And he has major contacts all over the place, a good support team and some money to spend. So the team may take time to gel but Celtic will need to be treated with a healthy dose of respect on opening day or it could be a very bad day at the office. For me the buzz words are preparation and caution.

Spot-on Scarlet, and I reckon the opening-day fixture is the best chance we'll have to beat Celtic - many of their players will have only just met and not fully gelled as a team.

And although Lennon is indeed more intelligent than yer average footballer, and will i think become a very good manager, he's still a cheatin', diving, ginger wee nyaff!

I think that due to the fact we had such a good season last year, we retained our best players, have taken in some new quality players and managed to knock a few goals in against Highland League opposition may have given us a bit too much confidence however i think saturdays defeat is exactly what we needed to keep our feet on the ground. Butcher will have drummed into the players about complacency and maintaining concentration and i think it was a valuable lesson for the team, hopefully it will serve as a reminder to us that we are not invincible and still need to work hard to win games.

Let's face the facts folks. On our budget we will be doing VERY well to stay in the SPL and we should be happy with that.

Indeed. Too many folk on here thinking staying up will be a stroll. It'll be anything but.

I'm not saying it won't be hard but nearly every team that gets promoted does well in their first season. Just look at St Johnstone last season and Hamilton the season before that. We even done extremely well in our first season in the SPL. With our current squad plus a couple extras for cover i am confident we will not be going back down next season. Top 6 may well be a bit too far but i think 7th or 8th is reachable.

Perhaps I wasn't clear before - I'm talking about Airdrie Utd, Ayr United, Morton etc. These teams were mince. The teams you mention certainly aren't in the same bracket. To have them in the same bracket is foolish and ill-informed.

Foolish and ill informed! I'll take that as a compliment. Let's go through this: Kilmarnock have got rid of the only real striker they had, replaced him with nothing at all. Hamilton have flogged the very last instalment of their crown jewels leaving their most creative influence as one D. Imrie. St. Mirren have got rid of half their team (ta for Chris Innes BTW) and replaced it with.....cowdenbeath en masse. OK including St. J with this lot was perhaps a trifle harsh. Standard Tesco mince, but not Best by any means. Rangers will have real problems this year and they know it. So by and large, I stick to my judgement, the only quid pro quo being that ICT perform to something approaching potential from the off. Confidence is still high.

• Disagree 2

Haven't felt this confidant during a pre-season for many years. I can't help feeling we're in for a massive fall. It's likely my inherant expectation that things must always go wrong if they can do.

Am I alone?

I feel confident about our ability to stay up. Anything else is a bonus!