FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rooney Question

KingBeastie

The other thread about our Adam got me thinking, how many goals has Rooney scored in total for ICT and how far away is he from stealing (the legendary) Dennis Wyness's all time top goal scorer title?

Does anybody think he will beat the record? (assuming we hold on to him long enough?)

you could be right .... think his last club before we signed him was Bury, but he was on loan from Stoke so the details may have got skewed, will amend the player profile.

Am I right in thinking it was 101 goals for Dennis?

Which would mean Adam has the huge task of 56 goals to bag to claim the title.

That would be some achievement especially at SPL level!! :amazed::ictscarf:

ICT top 10 By goals (total)

Denzil = 101 goals in 243 apps. Strike Rate = 41.56% (1 goal every 2.4 games)

Barry = 83 in 353 apps. SR = 23.51% (4.25)

Stewarty = 82 goals in 144 apps. SR = 56.94 (1.75)

Paul Ritchie = 63 in 132 apps. SR = 47.73 (2.09)

Adam = 46 in 99 apps. SR = 46.46 (2.15)

Paul Sheerin = 45 in 142 apps. SR = 31.69 (3.15)

Scotty McLean = 35 in 83 apps. SR = 42.17 (2.37)

Brian Thomson = 34 in 93 apps. SR = 36.56 (2.73)

Charlie = 34 in 314 apps. SR = 10.83 (9.23)

Rossco = 34 in 533 apps. SR = 6.38 (15.67)

ICT top 10 By by strike rate (games per goal)

Dargo = 32 in 67 apps. SR = 47.76 (2.09)

Xausa = 20 in 48 apps. SR = 41.67 (2.40)

Denzil = 101 in 243 apps. SR = 41.56% (2.4)

Bingham = 17 in 42 apps. SR = 40.48 (2.47)

Brewster = 12 in 36 apps. SR = 33.33 (3.00)

Edited by Scotty
changing strike rate heading as per discussion further down page

Go on, Scotty, give us all a laugh and remind us what Barrowloads record was!

30 appearances and 2 goals

Thanks Alex. That's a woeful strike rate of 6.66% - just a shade higher than Roscoe! It is a sobering thought that just over a year ago Terry was sticking Barrowan in the starting line up ahead of Rooney!

Interesting to see Xausa's strike rate. I always thought he was an under-rated player but I hadn't realised his strike rate was so good.

Go on, Scotty, give us all a laugh and remind us what Barrowloads record was!

3 goals in 41 apps. SR = 7.32 (13.66)

Slightly better than Bryan Prunty and Darren Dods, just behind Wayne Addicoat, Colin Mitchell and Bobby Mann ! Incidentally, its also behind Rory (SR 8.06 (12.4))

To this day, ICT's former player with the second best strike rate is a guy named John MacDonald. He has a strike rate of 1 in 2. Only Iain Stewart has a better record!

That is true but not included as it is just like saying Grassa is our best manager because he never lost a game as caretaker manager ...... (0 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses), or that the best management team was John Doc & CC in 05/06 as they oversaw 3 wins out of 3 before Charlie got the job full time.

Ah but the difference is though, that Bennett and CC & JD were never official ICT managers (obviously discounting CC's later appointment), while MacDonald was an official ICT player who scored official ICT goals in official ICT games.

ICT top 10 By by average goals per game (strike rate)

Dargo = 32 in 67 apps. SR = 47.76 (2.09)

Xausa = 20 in 48 apps. SR = 41.67 (2.40)

Denzil = 101 in 243 apps. SR = 41.56% (2.4)

Bingham = 17 in 42 apps. SR = 40.48 (2.47)

Brewster = 12 in 36 apps. SR = 33.33 (3.00)

I think the figures following the "x goals in y appearances" entries don't seem to correlate with the headings. The headings have got "strike rate" in brackets while the table itself has "SR" outwith brackets.

As I understand it, what these figures really mean, for instance for Iain Stewart but it's the same for them all, is that he scored 82 goals in 144 appearances. That's 0.5694 goals per game which is presented here multiplied by 100 as 56.94. The other figure, in Iain's case 1.75, is the reciprocal of the goals per game figure ("one over it" in non mathematical terms). That therefore represents "games per goal". The figures in the table I've quoted are, quite correctly, stated in descending order of goals per game, so the average number of games it took the players to get each goal hence gets bigger in a downward direction.

yes Charles, you are correct ... the heading should in fact read .....

ICT top 10 By by Strike Rate (games per goal)

where strike rate is the figure obtained by expressing the calculation [goals]/[games] as a percentage, and games per goal is [100]/[strike rate %] or as you stated 1/[goals/games] which comes to the same thing.

Renegade - I understand your point, and it is valid, but that particular statistic is an anomaly I have chosen to disregard as the whole list is based on those who have made a 'decent' amount of appearances .... lets just say he is a 'footnote' on the bottom of the table.

PS - McDonald never played for ICT either !!! He played in 94/95 when we were CT !!! :nanananana: (sorry couldnt resist it)

For those interested, his goal (on his debut) was the only CT goal in a 4-1 drubbing at the hands of Queens Park at Hampden. He played a total of 156 minutes for CT. 80 minutes in the QP game on 21/01/95 and 76 mins on 4/2/95 against Forfar at Telford Street (1-1 draw). not sure why he never played again, perhaps Charles or someone else can enlighten us.

yes Charles, you are correct ... the heading should in fact read .....

where strike rate is the figure obtained by expressing the calculation [goals]/[games] as a percentage, and games per goal is [100]/[strike rate %] or as you stated 1/[goals/games] which comes to the same thing.

Renegade - I understand your point, and it is valid, but that particular statistic is an anomaly I have chosen to disregard as the whole list is based on those who have made a 'decent' amount of appearances .... lets just say he is a 'footnote' on the bottom of the table.

PS - McDonald never played for ICT either !!! He played in 94/95 when we were CT !!! :nanananana: (sorry couldnt resist it)

For those interested, his goal (on his debut) was the only CT goal in a 4-1 drubbing at the hands of Queens Park at Hampden. He played a total of 156 minutes for CT. 80 minutes in the QP game on 21/01/95 and 76 mins on 4/2/95 against Forfar at Telford Street (1-1 draw). not sure why he never played again, perhaps Charles or someone else can enlighten us.

John MacDonald - former Rangers player (DOB 15/4/61) Played two games while on trial at Caley Thistle. Was offered a contract but declined becaused he couldn't be ersed with the travelling. Later a coach at Plastic Whistle.

Man I miss Paul Ritchie!

Innit, KB. Still looks like a mild mannered accountant, but hiding a deadly goal-machine.

He was playing at Roy's do the other night, and brought back all the confusion, as to how anyone so painfully slow-lloking could bag all those goals.

*Better watch what I'm saying he will probably be online too. Hi, Paul! *waves*

I know I'm indulging a bit in numerical pedantry here, but I'm wondering why something which is measured in "games per goal" should be called "strike rate" because surely the higher the number of games it takes for each goal, the lower the strike rate is? I would tend to express something which implies a rate of scoring in terms of goals per game (eg 0.453) - or if you multiply by 100 (45.3), that gives the average percentage of games in which a goal was scored (which isn't the same as games per goal and indeed is the reciprocal of it).

• Disagree 2

I know I'm indulging a bit in numerical pedantry here, but I'm wondering why something which is measured in "games per goal" should be called "strike rate"

Nahh .... Games per goal is the second figure (in brackets). Strike rate is the first figure expressed as a percentage and represents the percentage of games the player has appeared in where he has scored. Like most stats the definitions can be argued till the cows come home and whether it is 54.6% or 0.546 is indeed just pedantry as it amounts to the same thing.

Let's just be happy our current main striker is sitting high up in both tables and get the discussion back into more interesting territory !!!

I know I'm indulging a bit in numerical pedantry here, but I'm wondering why something which is measured in "games per goal" should be called "strike rate" because surely the higher the number of games it takes for each goal, the lower the strike rate is? I would tend to express something which implies a rate of scoring in terms of goals per game (eg 0.453) - or if you multiply by 100 (45.3), that gives the average percentage of games in which a goal was scored (which isn't the same as games per goal and indeed is the reciprocal of it).

Scotty's figures are correct. Strike Rate is not measured in games per goal. The strike rate as a percentage is shown first, then the reciprocal, which is games per goal, is shown in brackets.

Paul Ritchie and Davide Xausa were the names that surprised me.

To my recollection Ritchie was more of a worker/provider for Denzil than an out and out goalscorer himself so his % surprised me and maybe shows how good he actually was (and one in the eye for his doubters) and Xausa would certainly not have been a name that immediately sprung to mind when discussing our most 'efficient' scorers.

To answer the other part of the original question. Yes, if we can keep Adam, I firmly believe he could smash Denzil's record but not Stewarty's strike rate