FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Calum Murray apology

caley100

Pysh & Drivel have a story saying Duff praises Ref calum Murray for coming out to apologise for getting the penalty decision wrong, Ref Murray spoke to Butcher at the end of the game and said sorry to the ICT manager.

Thats fine then, everbodys happy, the ref has not got a guilty concience anymore, does that make his performance acceptable then ? H e was rank rotten that day, and if Miller had scored that penalty and won 3 points would an apology make it acceptable? dont feckin think so.

• Disagree 4

It doesn't improve his performance, but personally I have more respect for the refs if they are able to come out afterwards and admit their mistakes. I was as angry with the decision as anyone at the time, but these guys are only human, and get one quick look at an incident.

Can you honestly say we have not had any dodgy decisions go our way this year? These things usually even themselves out over a season. Just be thankful Essons big toe stepped up to save us a point and the refs blushes, and lets not all turn in to mini Neil Lennons!!

• Agree 8

these guys are only human, and get one quick look at an incident.

!

EXACTLY!! thats why i tend to not be too arsh when it comes to refs. How many times have you watched match Of The Day and seen the panel watch an incident, with every angle concievable available to them, for them to turn round and say...well....it looks like a foul from this angle, but when you see it from a different angle.......

And they often get a few moments to dwell on an incident. refs dont have that luxury.

So....i do get p1ssed off at refs at the time of a bad decision, but i dont carry grudges against them

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The problem is when we (the fans) see an incident, ala McCulloch dive last week, that is so obviously a dive yet the ref gives a foul, even a rangers fan i spoke to the other day said it looked a dive from where he was sitting in the south stand.

The ass. ref had a good view of the fall/stumble/dive yet didnt try to correct the referee.

Why anyone would want to be a ref is beyond me, they demand respect, but respect has to be earned not given easily.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It's another no win situation for the man in the middle. Do as he has done and apologise for the error and he'll get hit with the "why didn't he or his assistants change their mind at the time". Ignore the fact he's made a mistake and he gets hit with "he doesn't even have the balls to admit he got it wrong".

Whilst I agree that the refs should have the authority to deal with "simulation" retrospectively, not sure there's anything to punish in this instance. Beattie looked to have slid as opposed to dive, and he didn't appear to be claiming the penalty when he went down. Don't know of a player out there who would have turned down a wrongly given penalty in such circumstances.

Plenty of examples of out and out cheating to be had in the game, not convinced this is one of them.

Fair play to the ref for admiting an error, after having the chance to review it on TV and then for admiting and apologising to the affected manager. And well done all at ICT for acting with dignity and decorum - are you watching Lennon you dispicable little toe-rag?

Why anyone would want to be a ref is beyond me

I agree, when people are making comments like yours and fools like Lennon are throwing tantrums why would anybody want to do that job? But I thank them for doing it, if someone didn't do it then we would have no game.

I think this match illustrates that the old firm do get most decisions in their favour. And the old firm includes celtic for all the delusional, paranoid, conspiracy pushing celtic fans.

Now lets move on and carry on up the league.

TERRY AND MO!! :ictscarf:

Did anyone else spot Beattie's (I think it was him) blatant attempt at getting Tokely sent off in the second half. IIRC it was not long after Tokely had been booked, there was a moment when the ball was in the Rangers half and with Tokely jogging towards the half way line when Beattie ran past and literally went flying, in an obvious attempt at getting Tokely sent off. It wasn't like he tripped over, he went down more like he doing his most pathetic impression of a dying swan. If that's not cheating I don't know what is!

Did anyone else spot Beattie's (I think it was him) blatant attempt at getting Tokely sent off in the second half. IIRC it was not long after Tokely had been booked, there was a moment when the ball was in the Rangers half and with Tokely jogging towards the half way line when Beattie ran past and literally went flying, in an obvious attempt at getting Tokely sent off. It wasn't like he tripped over, he went down more like he doing his most pathetic impression of a dying swan. If that's not cheating I don't know what is!

In that occasion, I think Beattie did make contact with Tokely's arm and it did look on TV, quite a sore one

There was definitely contact between Tokely and Beattie .

Calum Murray was just apologising for the mistake he made which takes a fair amount of balls due to recent events. The rest of the game he wasnt great but if we wern't playing the old firm that would be put down to an off day on the ref's part. The sooner folk stop berating the ref's and let them just get on with their job the better in my opinion. Also can you truthfully say that when you commit some sort of mistake at work you decide to phone customers to detail your wrong decisions .... I think not!! Internally mistakes will be discussed so let them deal with it and just enjoy watching the great football we're playing :twothumbsup:

Edited by super1ct

Also can you truthfully say that when you commit some sort of mistake at work you decide to phone customers to detail your wrong decisions .... I think not!!

Yes.

Fair play to him for admitting he made a mistake but they need to stop apologising and stop making these mistakes in the first place.

Another argument for introducing video camers with instant replay so that , as in ice hockey in North America, the ref has an immediate opportunity to seek a decision for or against from a panel of judges (2-3 maybe)reviewing the videoand once they say yeah or no the that's the end of it.

Long overdue IMHO. :thumbup:

Fair play to the ref for admitting to an error. That shows the integrity Celtic have found so lacking.

Justice was done when Flyin Esson saved the pen. Though I fully expect Murray to give us 3 pens next time he gets us. You know Wiccan rules. Do one bad thing and get 3 in reverse to balance it out?

Beattie blatantly dived. Theres no two ways about it. He's always been fairly easy to go to ground in the box and this was another example.

The sooner players were retrospectively punished via video for conning refs the better.

• Agree 1

The refs just get a quick look in the heat of the moment whilst trying to keep an awareness of other things going on around them. Inevitably they get some things wrong and miss other things. We have to accept that. What we don't have to accept is the response of the managers of the clubs. They will analyse footage of the games in some detail and Walter Smith will be well aware that Beatie cheated last week. So what is he doing about it? Patting the lad on the back, probably.

Whilst referees should take tough action when they are sure players have dived, if this kind of cheating is to be stamped out it requires action from the clubs. Managers should be big enough to publicly state they will not tolerate this kind of behaviour and impose bans themselves. Some may argue that managers won't do that because it may jeopardise the teams chances - but teams will ban players for breaches of internal discipline. So apparently it's OK to cheat but not to break a club rule.

In fact, a public stance condemning cheating and banning players who do, may work out in their favour in the long run. If the refs know that diving is not tolerated by the clubs then they just may be more inclined to give players from those clubs the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and fair play to Murray for being big enough to apologise.

Ryan Esson saved his bacon by saving the penalty.

What if Miller had scored? Would Murray then have said : Sorry boys - I cost you a couple of points there. Nothing we can do about it now, I'm afraid.

Ryan Esson saved his bacon by saving the penalty.

What if Miller had scored? Would Murray then have said : Sorry boys - I cost you a couple of points there. Nothing we can do about it now, I'm afraid.

No idea. Fact is that Miller didn't score and Murray did apologise. We can only pass comment on that and not what he might or might not have said if something different had happened.

Some may argue that managers won't do that because it may jeopardise the teams chances - but teams will ban players for breaches of internal discipline. So apparently it's OK to cheat but not to break a club rule.

As much as i agree with the sentiment, if we won the scottish cup with rooney winning a soft penalty would we all say the other team deserved to win? Its not okay when its against you but when decisions going for us i dont see posts started about how the ref was bias towards us. Watch the ref in a neutral game without your caley bias glasses on and you'll see the ref's do alright. Some folk on here really need a reality check!!!!