FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

10 years looking back and the next 10

12th Man

It took 10 years from Highland league to SPL.

Looking back over the last 10 years. We have spent the majority of it in the SPL, we have a professional youth set up with home grown talent emerging.The stadium now has its own bar, a competent and well respected manager and a great squad of players.

10 years ago I would have classed many 1st division clubs as big clubs but as ICT have grown in size and stature that is no longer the case.

Looking ahead what can you see instore for the next 10 years.

I think we will definitely be in the top six, if the split remains over the next decade.

More visits to Hampden. (a top 8 league finish means we dont get drawn to play a team above us till the QF in the Crime cup)

A fan base between the size of Kilmarnock and United.

Additional seating

And continuous local quality emerging from the youth set up.

Building on what ICT have achieved so far I think the future is looking good for our club.

• Agree 8

Good post, 12th man. The club really has come a long way in a short space of time and this season we are on course to equal our best ever finish. Surely in the next 10 years we will make a little more progress and it only needs a little more progress to get a top 6 finish, to win one of the two major cup competitions or to get a place in Europe. There should be some great occasions for the club in the next few years but we need to be realistic and recognise there will also be some bad times. We need to keep behind the team during the not so good periods and if we do that, the occasioonal major success will come and can be celebrated.:ictscarf: :ictscarf:

Without some major intervention I predict the worst within the next 3 seasons....on the positive side, it gives us 7 years to re-establish what we have now (and hopefully on a firmer footing).

A needlessly negative reply to a very positive opening post and thread about the clubs progress. :thumbdown:

There are a lot of good things happening at ICT, especially over the last 2 years, and it would be nice to see this recognised a bit more than it is. We complain the central belt media don't acknowledge our achievements but if even our own fans are continually negative about the club and it's future then it isn't hard to see why we're easily ignored...

Without some major intervention I predict the worst within the next 3 seasons....on the positive side, it gives us 7 years to re-establish what we have now (and hopefully on a firmer footing).

I think Donald's caution is realistic even if it is not what most Caley Thistle fans would ideally like to hear.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle worked wonders to reach the SPL just ten years on from what was a very messy creation. Ever since, survival in that 12 team league has been something which has had to be worked hard for and which has by no means been guaranteed (look no further back than May 2009).

In 2010, a combination of a great run of persistence, belief and results, combined with Dundee's attempt to buy their way back up suddenly running out of bottle achieved an immediate and in some ways unexpected return to the SPL after the 2009 relegation. Had that not happened, against the odds, the financial consequences might have something which ICT fans now only wake up in the night screaming about.

Given Caley Thistle's marginal financial position and limited fan base, they are one of a fistful of clubs which can never feel 100% long term confident about avoiding relegation - irrespective of the skill of the management team and the commitment of the players.

So even with the best will in the world - maybe even in another season where 37 points is not enough to secure safety - relegation could happen again, accompanied by another £1.5M budget cut.

If that did come to pass, what chance would there be of another single season dash back to the SPL coming to pass? And if that dash DIDN'T happen, what would the financial outlook be for the second and subsequent years post relegation? What's the longer term prognosis in such an eventuality?

Then the clinching question - how much more likely is the scenario which I have described should the SPL shrink to ten teams rather than expand to 14 or 16?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Everyone is, or should be, well aware of the challenges and pressures facing ICT both in a footballing and economic sense. Indeed, that is probably why the majority of ICT fans are against the 10 team proposal because it almost certainly will have such a negative fact on an already difficult operating climate both on and off the field.

My point was that there are still a lot of positives which the club has achieved and appears to be placed well to continue to achieve. The constant 'glass half empty approach' just frustrates the hell out of me. If the supporters are negative even about the positives then what chance is there? I'm not claiming a head in the sand approach, more just credit where credit is due.

A needlessly negative reply to a very positive opening post and thread about the clubs progress. :thumbdown:

There are a lot of good things happening at ICT, especially over the last 2 years, and it would be nice to see this recognised a bit more than it is. We complain the central belt media don't acknowledge our achievements but if even our own fans are continually negative about the club and it's future then it isn't hard to see why we're easily ignored...

That's not negative, it's a realistic view of what it's cost us to get to where we are and understanding that having sold off all our assets to achieve it we simply don't have the funds to bankroll anything like the same level of progress going forwards as we've experienced to date.

It's not what I want, but that's just the way it is.

On the pitch, with what we have (or equivalent) I think we are capable of sustaining the status quo, but realistically we're not going to go any great length of time without some kind of financial hiccup throwing a spanner in the works....and without major investment that will inevitably lead to the club having to take a step backwards before it can start progressing again.

Unrealistic expectations and pressure from fans will only encourage/push the club towards spending what we don't have to achieve what we can't afford. Until something changes (like getting some sizeable investment) we need to be a little more content with what we have and do all we can to ensure we don't slide back unnecessarily.

Do I feel any less enthusiastic about being an ICT Fan because I think the above? Not at all, it's just another challenge that needs to be met and whether we experience best case or worst case scenario I know we'll come out fighting and continue to be better than the sum our parts....because regardless of anything else, that's what we do best and that's what makes me most proud of being an ICT Fan, be it SPL or somewhere lower down the leagues.

12th Man and CaleyD have both made great posts .... our hearts like only one of them but our heads realise the other is also true.

We have made huge progress since 1994 and that is a testament to literally hundreds of people over the years who have worked diligently and often without any reward other than seeing that progress. Lots of unsung heroes in the ICT story.

I still sometimes marvel at the idea that in the late 80s or early 90s we would be talking about maybe getting past Airdrie or Raith Rovers in a cup game as a huge achievement, yet now losing to either would be an embarrassment. Our biggest hope in those days was a money spinning tie in the 3rd or maybe 4th round of the cup against Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen and if we lost by anything less than 3 or 4 goals that would be a good result yet now we go into these games - home or away - thinking we can get something out of it and are currently several places above Aberdeen in the league table !!!

Look at us now - A manager who is instantly recognisable on a world stage, a team that has spent 6 of the last 7 years (or more than 35% of our history) in the top flight, a decent group of fans, a board who we dont always agree with but who have - for the most part - steered our ship carefully around many financial icebergs and a set of players who consistently give us 100% (apart from the odd off-day).

But we dismiss CaleyD's reality check at our peril.

We saw ourselves what a devastating effect relegation had on the club and we made a huge push to get back up in one season. It had only been done once before (i think) and we managed it thanks to the bottle of Dundee collapsing and the backing of the board not to mention Terry, Mo and the lads.

If we hadnt done it then we would have been well and truly screwed ! Destined to life in the 1st (or lower) for a few years as we struggled to regroup and rebuild - look at Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick or any other team in the lower leagues who were once in the top league. Going forward, the reality is however that we will almost certainly be one of those teams who always skirt with relegation, especially if the nonsensical 10 team league comes into effect so we have to keep one eye on that and another on the SPL.

Enjoy being and ICT fan, and enjoy our moments of pride, but please, lets temper all of this with just a pinch of reality that keeps our feet on the ground and ensures we dont become 'entitled' like supporters of some other teams

I love being an ICT supporter. This is real football. We are not expected to win anything which makes it all the sweeter when we do. Its definitely an adventure (and a roller coaster) but its one we enjoy most of the time...... I can say the same about following TFC in MLS too - in the space of a week TFC are snuffing out Beckham and associates in one game with some nice silky football, then 3 days later laying down to DC United as they steamroller 3 past them while the fans are heartily doing the bouncy .... football - you gotta love it

• Agree 2

Looking ahead what can you see instore for the next 10 years.

I think we will definitely be in the top six, if the split remains over the next decade.

More visits to Hampden. (a top 8 league finish means we dont get drawn to play a team above us till the QF in the Crime cup)

A fan base between the size of Kilmarnock and United.

Additional seating

And continuous local quality emerging from the youth set up.

Building on what ICT have achieved so far I think the future is looking good for our club.

Do you really think these are unrealisitic goals to set for over the next 10 years CaleyD?! If European football, title challenges, big money signings or building training complexes was being targeted then yes I'd agree that was unrealistic. Achieving top 6 (which we nearly did this season), some good Cup runs, some growth in the fan base and developing more local players is what the club should be aiming for at the start of every season not as a pipedream! The only point I would agree is unrealistic is the possible need for additional seating as even if we do increase home gates they would have to almost double before that becomes necessary, which is unlikely.

I'm not dismissing your points as they are valid and the consequences of a variety of actions over the last few years remain to be seen long term. However, while caution is an important part of business planning surely you need to have some high end targets to try and achieve more? Otherwise what's the point in turning up every Saturday?

We didn't get to the SPL by showing a lack of ambition so why should that stop now? We know how bad it can be dropping into Division One, we should be doing as much as we can to avoid that rather than preparing to suffer it again. That's not to say there shouldn't be any contingencies in place, but that's what it should be, a Plan B.

Edited by Bridge_Ender

It's a great achievement to be able, after such a short time, to lump us in with St Mirren and Killie, rather than Stirling Albion and Morton - that could have so easily happened. Regular top six is very very difficult though. That would take a lot more risk or long-term management. It's really the same thing in this case (not in other cases I hasten to add). It means giving Rooney, Hayes and all those that follow long-term contracts. However, if it turns out that we've given contracts to the perennially poor (or even the perennially injured), then we could struggle to survive if the plan fails.

However, if we don't, every season is a struggle. We can't build on Rooney or Hayes as they have such short contracts that we won't have decent transfer money or players that will do a Tokely and be around forever. But then again, the only way we could probably have given long-terms is by signing them before they'd proved themselves. As I say, a high risk strategy.

So, next 10 years? I don't see us building higher but possibly not going backwards either. Hopefully more ups than downs, with the odd decent cup run and the one-off top six. With the turnover we'll have, relegation is always lurking. I say, let's hope for the best and enjoy the ride. That's a lot more satisfying than the Old Filth fans that see an away draw to a third-placed team as a disaster. Hope for the future but no expectations.

I prefer CaleyD's approach, to any pie in the sky thinking. Im a realist and i like keep myself grounded. There is a big difference between being a pessimist and being a realist!

Edited by SMEE

Speaking of pie in the sky, the SPL's latest reconstruction plan aims for:

* A British Cup

* The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years

* The SPL's coefficient ranking to improve from 16th to 10th in five years

* Broadcasting revenues to increase by 50% in five years

I think they are trying to imply that these are the benefits that will arise from the 10 team SPL, which now looks like going to a vote in May. If it gets approved, some of our aspirations may have to be toned down a bit to reflect the reduced likelihood of us being SPL regulars over the next 10 years.

Edited by Yngwie

* A British Cup

* The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years

I think they are trying to imply that these are the benefits that will arise from the 10 team SPL, which now looks like going to a vote in May. If it gets approved, some of our aspirations may have to be toned down a bit to reflect the reduced likelihood of us being SPL regulars over the next 10 years.

the spl the top gear of football ambitious but rubish!

* A British Cup

nice to see they are getting shiny new signage for their offices too .........

ccl0901.jpg

• Agree 1