FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Europa League

Yngwie

You could turn the statement around a bit Starchief and ask why it is that we are able to attract young players, either on loan or otherwise, from the English leagues..........even the Premiership. Players who are coming up here and displaying loads of skill and talent. Players who walk into the starting line-up week in week out. Yet the players of similar ages who have come through our system struggle to get a start.

Is the English coaching and development systems more superior to the Scottish one? Are those players who move south doing so because they are, in the main, going to get better coaching thus getting better chances to reach their performance pinacles?

I have only realised this in the last couple of seasons but analysing the players who have come here, Dorans, Rooney, Davis, Chippendale, Hayes etc, it seems to me that these guys have a playing maturity and mentallity that is a year or two further ahead of those we are producing at home.

Youth development only works when the youth are willing to stay and be developed. Instead, the Cowies, Macguires, Wilsons, Conways etc etc etc are quite prepared to go south at the first opportunity. Often to sit on the bench of what we used to know as the Second Division. No, I don't think it's the developing youth, it's the keeping of them. Every year, Motherwell and Dundee United seem to have to build a virtually new squad as any promising player goes south to a big name club like Preston or Doncaster.

I was reading yesterday about Barry Lavety being signed by Hibs from St Mirren, what, about 10 years ago?, for IIRC ?200,000. Seems a different world ago.

A pal of mine, Davie, is coming up from Glasgow to watch the County tomorrow. Obviously a tad depressed!

He is very critical of the manner in which his club have failed to develop any talent through their much heralded youth system since Aiden McGeady and little in years before that. We had a 'heated debate' and came to the conclusion that the club needs to take a lot more responsibility than they do and that blaming the lure of cash from 'down Souffffff' is too easy. Our clubs don't give any opportunity to youngsters any more? Arsene Wenger has played 15 year olds for Arsenal and there are numerous examples of youngsters coming off the bench for clubs all over Europe except here. Why is it only in times of crisis that we blood youngsters? How will the ever be good enough or gain experience if we don't play them?

Davie reckons that the Islam Feroz story at Celtic is a prime example. Been at the club since he was very young, played in Tommy Burns Memorial match and is viewed as a huge prospect for club and country. Does he ever get near the bench? Winning 3-0 nil at home to Kille for example with 15 left why can't he get on? But no. Opportunity doesn't knock. Meantime a right big club come in and offer him huge money and he has the choice. Sit my arse and not get a game for Celtic for X or sit and my arse and not get a game for Chelsea for 100X? No brainer really. Celtic blame the player, his family, the agent and Tony Blair (he is, after all, to blame for most ills in the world today!) when in reality they should have a wee look in the mirror.

Until our clubs have the balls to play youth through choice not necessity and all the pressures that brings we will continue to see the demise of our game. I think there are plenty willing to be developed Chief but very few coaches with the balls to allow it to happen. Whose fault is that?

• Agree 1