FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gary Warren, Defender, captain at Newport County moving to Scotland. No team mentioned, but, its a position we need, probably the wage we'd pay, from a team we would expect to get players from. Just a thought!.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...aign=sportsound

On the Newport county site posters believe he is heading to us or county. All seem to agree he has been a decent player for county as they have progressed but several have questioned whether he can make the next step up. If he is heading our way then he could well be a decent defensive acquisition.

PS - but then this may just be Rangers new type of 'big' signing ;-)

Gary Warren, Defender, captain at Newport County moving to Scotland. No team mentioned, but, its a position we need, probably the wage we'd pay, from a team we would expect to get players from. Just a thought!.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...aign=sportsound

Dont know if you had insider information Dewsburydude but it sounds like this guy may well be a signing for us

Just read this article: http://www.southwale...ll_are_staying/

NEWPORT County were last night poised to announce two key signings, but captain Gary Warren is leaving the club to join a Scottish Premier League side.

Warren had been linked with a Bosman move to League Two outfit Cheltenham Town, but will instead travel to Scotland tomorrow to clinch a deal with a Scottish Premier outfit with a particularly high-profile manager.

County wouldn’t confirm the club, but according to other sources it is Inverness Caledonian Thistle, managed by former England captain Terry Butcher.

Finally some news on new players! Always get excited about this sort of stuff and hopefully it'll take over from all the doom and gloom on this site. Here's a little info on him.

Gary joined County in May 2009 after two successful seasons in central defence for Team Bath. He had joined the students in the summer of 2007 from Mangotsfield United for whom he had played more than 200 times, and he captained them to promotion to Conference South. He showed his leadership qualities for County and enjoyed a fabulous first season in which he wore the captain's armband with distinction, earning both supporters and players "Player of the Year" awards, and being chosen for the 'Conference South Select XI' for 2009/10. He has made 85 appearances for County, scoring eleven times.

Not a bad strike rate for a defender either....

Also his DOB is

Born: 16/08/1984 Bristol

So at the start of the season he'll be 28, A bit of experience we've been looking for hopefully.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY
  • Agree 1

Couple quotes taken from the Newport County website.

icon_post_target.gifby michael on June 3rd, 2012, 5:34 pm

wheres he gone?

icon_post_target.gifby Marky on June 3rd, 2012, 5:36 pm

Won't be Rangers, they can't afford his wages.

by Cheesy B on June 3rd, 2012, 5:25 pm

If anything I think this just goes to show just how pants the Scottish Premier League is. Good luck to him though.

icon_post_target.gifby amberboy on June 4th, 2012, 9:09 am

whould like to wish gary warren all the best on his move to scotland u gave ur heart and soul for this club cant blame u leaving u will b missed b hard to replace ctid

by dannyg on June 3rd, 2012, 6:10 pm I'm sorry to hear that Gary has left the club to sign for a Scottish Premier Club. I'm amazed about this. I thought if he was going to leave then it would be for a better club but he's made a sideways move!!!!

michael on June 3rd, 2012, 6:14 pm

dannyg wrote:I'm sorry to hear that Gary has left the club to sign for a Scottish Premier Club. I'm amazed about this. I thought if he was going to leave then it would be for a better club but he's made a sideways move!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

he has ,it will be ross county or cally thistle or something like that, hope hes ready for a relegation battle but good luck to him hes been brilliant for us

by Stan A. Einstein on June 3rd, 2012, 6:53 pm

Gary Warren was a credit to himself and our club.

At the risk of being misquoted I would though add that while I am sorry he is leaving, he did not in my view progress to the extent as I thought he would. During our promotion season I believed that he had the potential to make the Premiership. He was a very good Conference standard player and I'm sure would have held his own in League 2.

I wish him the best of luck in Scotland.

by starsky on June 3rd, 2012, 7:38 pm If one signing changed the path of our club then it was Warren, from the moment we signed him from Team Bath our club has moved steadily in the right direction.

A great center-back and an outstanding leader who after a slight dip in form came back stronger than ever.

y Mr Figo on June 3rd, 2012, 9:38 pm He was the best defender in the BSS when we were promoted by a country mile but the step up showed how different the BSP level is. At time he was exposed in games but I was glad he was part of our side last season. I am sure JE will bring in a suitable replacement. All the best for the future.

by neilcork68 on June 4th, 2012, 12:21 am A good player at our current level but I will be one of the most shocked people on here if come December he isn't being shipped out on loan somewhere.

You have to agree with the move for the player because of the finances involved but going from the Confrence to the SPL is at least three steps too far for his ability,IMHO.He will give you 100% effort every game but I doubt even that will help him make the jump up in standard. I could have seen him going to somewhere like Cheltenham and fitting in with the standard but I feel that he will soon be found to be out of his depth.

by Taffweigan on June 4th, 2012, 12:50 am

I think the only problem with making the step up will be his fitness and position play. He is outstanding both in the air and tackling. The Scottish game is more strength than pace so i think he will fit in well. Chris smalling is a great example of a non league defender who wad capable of making the jump. I say warren is the same level as he was when fulham bought him

by County Exile on June 4th, 2012, 9:37 am I see from the ICT forum they seem to think we play in the Welsh league system.

And just what is his standard? Have you seen him play? The fact is the SPL standard has dropped so much its probably on a parr with the Conference.

Yes, from a wage point of view, and standard of play, I wouldn't be surprised if Conference was about right for us.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at potential players from that division. We got Gillet from Barnet who only just missed being relegated to Conference again, this season. Arguably he has been one of our best players. I certainly hope he signs on with us again.

So there is every chance that the odd, affordable, gem can be found in the lower reaches of the EFL

And just what is his standard? Have you seen him play? The fact is the SPL standard has dropped so much its probably on a parr with the Conference.

Yes, from a wage point of view, and standard of play, I wouldn't be surprised if Conference was about right for us.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at potential players from that division. We got Gillet from Barnet who only just missed being relegated to Conference again, this season. Arguably he has been one of our best players. I certainly hope he signs on with us again.

So there is every chance that the odd, affordable, gem can be found in the lower reaches of the EFL

Although i agree players can be found at this level, in terms of quality the leagues are not the same. I don't know many players that continue to move from the blue square to the championship. I would put the SPL in the same position as mid table to lower league 1 to top of league 2 at a push.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

I think that in the last three or four years our standard has dropped dramatically. I watch games from all the televised leagues and, from the lower english leagues I see teams go out and have a go. They try and win games. What I see for the majority of the SPL games is a defend and panic attitude. Teams are not going out to have a go. They are going out to defend, defend, defend. Look at the number of teams that are going out with one striker. Why? Because there isn't a confidence in puting on a show. There's just a constant fear. Whether thats down to the standard of player or the standard of coach I dont know but we are at a very low standard.

the main difference between scottish football and english is the english have the advantage of have of roughly 52 million people. so that roughly 26 million males compared to our 3 million males. of those males id say 3 quaters are football fans and less than half of those have season tickets. so by my maths

england have 9.75 million st holders and we have 1.125 million st holders. anyone else see the problem here. i think my estimates are ambitious too

Couple quotes taken from the Newport County website.

by starsky on June 3rd, 2012, 7:38 pm If one signing changed the path of our club then it was Warren, from the moment we signed him from Team Bath our club has moved steadily in the right direction. A great center-back and an outstanding leader who after a slight dip in form came back stronger than ever.

by Taffweigan on June 4th, 2012, 12:50 am

I think the only problem with making the step up will be his fitness and position play. He is outstanding both in the air and tackling. The Scottish game is more strength than pace so i think he will fit in well. Chris smalling is a great example of a non league defender who wad capable of making the jump. I say warren is the same level as he was when fulham bought him

I like those two quotes in particular. Know nothing about the player or his ability so cant really comment on whether he will work for us or not !

On twitter theres one or two tweets like this, Can't always believe everything but who knows?

Old Down CC@odcc

Huge Congratulations to @odcc #villageidiot Gary Warren on signing for #Inverness... We're already planning a visit up north!! #roadtrip!!!

Danny West@DannyWest37

Great to hear of Gary Warren's transfer from Newport County to Scottish Premier Division Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Top bloke, deserved!

Geoff Twentyman@geoff20man

Former @MangotsfieldUtd defender Gary Warren to join SPL Inverness Caledonian Thistle from Newport @TheTransferLad

Edited by jagster

its looking positive. so soon after tokelys leaving to. swift work by the club, and butcher. :clapping:

according to soccerbase hes scottish aswell.

born in England on wiki. Earlier comment from me says where but I forget.

Good Luck to Gary Warren from all of us at Newport County. The skipper has been an absolute legend for us over the past 3 seasons and he will be a big miss. You have got one hell of a good player and please take care of him because eventually we would like him back. A top top bloke!!!!

Oh by the way, Gary has probably the biggest nose in football....lol!!!!!

• Agree 2