Motherwell (A) 3-0 (L) - 3rd
Hearts (A) 2-3 (W) - 2nd
Dundee Utd (H) - 0-0 (D) - 3rd
Ross County (A) - 0-0 (D) - 3rd
Dundee (A) 1-1 (D) - 4th
Ross County (H) 2-1 (W) - 3rd
Hibs (A) 1-2 (W) - 3rd
St. Johnstone (H)

It consists of five (5) away games and three (3) home games so Terry won't have too many games to worry about the size of crowds much over that period :wink:

It is all pretty tight with nine points between 2nd and 11th and only five points between 2nd and 7th.

Even though we have had what seems like a really good season so far (look at the teams still below us) there is only a difference of two wins between ourselves and County and we still have to play them twice....

2nd - ICT - P25 - W9 D11 L5 - 38 PTS (GD +9)
9th - RC - P25 - W7 D11 L7 - 32 PTS (GD -3)

The players (and the management) though need to keep it going for (at least) those next eight games to ensure that this does turn out to be our best SPL season ever.

I am not sure whether we will still be in 2nd place come the split but I believe we will get a top 6 place.

With what appears to be increasing negativity within a number of posts recently how do others really think the team will do?

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

I think if we can win 4 ( very realistic) then we shall be comfortably in the top 6. It will then be very tight in the top 6 and anyones to play for for the european spots. Even if we dont make europe, at the start of the season if you where asked if you would be happy to see the club in the top 6 and the semi final of the league cup, i think EVERY SINGLE FAN would have taken that then and there no questions asked.

• Agree 1

Not surprised at today's result at all. It was Wednesday that was a killer.

We've just had a hard run of games and the remaining fixtures are much more winnable.

However I've said dozens of times that football is largely psychological: who knows what shape the players are in after failing to win in 6.

Totally dominated killie and looked the better side today for half an hour before going behind to the inevitable higdon strike. Contrast that with the wee cousins over the bridge who don't seem to have been playing well but have been able to get their noses in front and hang on.

I can only see us beating Dundee hibs and maybe county at home, I can see a draw vs Arabs and st j but county probably won't break the duck and end up drawing, I think hearts will beat us, at most I can only see us getting 50 points but 45 plus will be tough

What a group of defeatists we are. We are playing well. We are dominating games for long periods. We may have lost six league games but we've only been beaten by three of the eleven other teams in the league. We have a team of players who are more than capable of holding their own against everyone below us. The only slump we've had of late is in our finishing. We're creating plenty chances but not taking the final chance. Against Motherwell last week we had a similar number of shots on target as them but they scored theirs. I believe we will get a European spot and that we can hold onto third. I think the heavy defeats from Motherwell have ensured they stay above us.

Always look on the bright side of life

• Agree 3

What a group of defeatists we are. We are playing well. We are dominating games for long periods. We may have lost six league games but we've only been beaten by three of the eleven other teams in the league. We have a team of players who are more than capable of holding their own against everyone below us. The only slump we've had of late is in our finishing. We're creating plenty chances but not taking the final chance. Against Motherwell last week we had a similar number of shots on target as them but they scored theirs. I believe we will get a European spot and that we can hold onto third. I think the heavy defeats from Motherwell have ensured they stay above us.

Always look on the bright side of life

Amen.

Motherwell and Celtic were expected loses tbh, Celtic having the luxury of being able to make 10 changes or however many it was and still have 7,8 or 9 internationals on the park, and Motherwell imo have the most well balanced team in the league outwith Celtic, with a strong backline, a solid midfeild, and some absolutely electric attackers.

In this run of games without a win the only shock was not beating St Mirren, but that was down to the timing of the game with them coming off a huge high and us a massive low, and we should have put Killie away. losing to Killie in the cup was a bit of a kick in the teeth but could be a blessing in disguise. From now on every game is winable, and we have proven this season we are more than capable of going on a run.

its all about belief, and i believe with captain fantastic back soon, and a good result tomorrow we can do it. :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

Lots of ways of analysing this but if the current form over the last 6 games was translated into the next 6 games (or 5 for those teams with just the 5 stil to play the league would look like this

Top six

78 points Celtic (and already champions 2 or 3 games ago)

52   County :ohmy:

48   ICT :ictscarf:

48  St J

46  Kilmarnock

45  Motherwell

Bottom six

44 Dundee U

43 Hibs

42 Aberdeen :lol:

34 Hearts

34 St M

16 Dundee (and relegated)

This is actually quite encouraging  given our current poor run of results.  Teams are all taking points off each other and even if a couple of sides go on really good runs the rest will all be losing a lot of points.  Just 4 points from the next 6 games could see us still in the top 6, but 6 points from the next 2 games should really guarantee a top 6 finish.

County's currrent form is very impressive with 14 points from the last 6 games and therefore the 2 games against them become huge games.  A win against United on Wednesday and a draw at the sand pit on Saturday would make it an excellent week.

It feels very uncomfortable with just 4 points currently separating us in 2nd place and Dundee United in 9th.  Anything could happen, but realistically for us not to finish top 6 would require us to drop to Dundee standards.  I really can't see that happening and I am sure fans of the other clubs in the race would much rather be in our position than theirs.

• Agree 2

Very encouraging result on Saturday especially taking into account our SPL record against Hearts. We are back in pole position and all we now need to do is ensure we stay there ;-)

I suspect with County's current form and charge up the table there will be a few more through the gates at both grounds for the upcoming games. Win win for both clubs and hopefully there will be a decent attendance for the home game against Utd midweek which now takes on a new level of importance as a win will set us up nicely for the home stretch.

A win on Wednesday would all but prevent Dundee Utd from getting ahead of us before the split.

Over the last few weeks while our results have not been great but yet none of the other clubs bar County have gone on any kind of run to stake that claim for 2nd, results have been very kind to us, so 2nd place is ours to lose. If we continue to play well and get results like at Tynecastle on Saturday I predict our home match vs County will be the one where we clinch a top 6 place.

• Agree 1

County's currrent form is very impressive with 14 points from the last 6 games and therefore the 2 games against them become huge games.  A win against United on Wednesday and a draw at the sand pit on Saturday would make it an excellent week.

And all that will come to a juddering halt in a weeks time! To be confirmed on the 16th, once they have taken a breath and stopped crying. :-)

County's run has been good since the winter break, no disputing that - but Sproule is one factor and his excelelnt form since signing but also how much is driven by the home results which I think the awful pitch has a huge influence, so much sand the ball hardly moves or bounces and visiting teams struggle to adapt. Hopefully we don't get caught out.

I would say that picking the Top Six would be an impossible task - apart from Cellic of course. All the other teams - apart from Tinkerville - have been erratic and inconsistent. Every team in this league is capable of winning against any other team. Every team in this league is taking points of each other and there appear to have been a remarkable ammount of draws. Not one team has been able to take adantage and move away in second/third place. Every team has their bad patch and lets hope that is us. Let us also hope that fortune changed at Tynecastle - basically win the next three and it is done and dusted.

• Agree 1

78 points Celtic (and already champions 2 or 3 games ago)

Just a wee side point, but can you tell me how Celtic are able to get 16 points out of 5 matches?

Ah!  Someone has noticed my deliberate mistake :whistle:  Well spotted!  Should be only 75 as they have just 5 and not 6 games before the split.  I think it might be still be enough though!

Five points out of the last four games and still in 3rd and five points ahead of Kilmarnock in 7th. Those four in my opinion were possibly the toughest games and although the next four are in no way easy I think we can pick up more than five points from them. The other thing is all those challenging for a top six place will take points of each other.

Motherwell (A) 3-0 (L) - 3rd
Hearts (A) 2-3 (W) - 2nd
Dundee Utd (H) - 0-0 (D) - 3rd
Ross County (A) - 0-0 (D) - 3rd
Dundee (A)
Ross County (H)
Hibs (A)
St. Johnstone (H)

Posted before that after the Well game our push for top 6 starts again.

Realistically think we can have 10 points from the next 4 games - wins away to dundee & hibs, then draw wi County and beat Saints. But if we get top 6 we will still not be happy and want Euro place!!!