FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Euro Cup Qualifying rounds

Laurence

I was a a bit worried of us qualifying and it being a non event, like playing Derry City or Sligo Rovers , so I looked at the fixtures for this year

link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League

You can see the no hopers are in the first qualifying round, no team from Scotland played in that

The next round you can see St Johnstone, and the competition is improving , but still a few 3rd ranked Scandinavian teams

Dundee United played in the next round which was the entry point for Liverpool

Motherwell and Hearts of course managed the Play Off Round.

It seems to me that  2nd place is a must if we are to avoid a long trip to some best forgotten Latvian place.

Just a thought?

Edited by Laurence

If we end up entering at 2nd qualifying round, as the saintees did, then there were plenty of great awaydays last season:

AIK Stockholm

Hajduk Split

Red Star Belgrade

Young Boys Berne

Servette Geneva

Twente Enschede

Legia Warsaw

I'm in Tuscany for both legs and have advised Mrs Ymip that myself and Ymip Jr will be ditching the womenfolk for a day or two.

First Euro away leg will be greatest moment in the club's history imho. Lifetime ambition achieved for me WHEN we do it.

Non event? I was in Derry last year and had a wonderful time. Are you not confusing it with Bury?

It seems to me that 2nd place is a must if we are to avoid a long trip to some best forgotten Latvian place.

I heard you went to Latvia last year but you've forgotten!

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 2

I was a a bit worried of us qualifying and it being a non event, like playing Derry City or Sligo Rovers , so I looked at the fixtures for this year

link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League

You can see the no hopers are in the first qualifying round, no team from Scotland played in that

The next round you can see St Johnstone, and the competition is improving , but still a few 3rd ranked Scandinavian teams

Dundee United played in the next round which was the entry point for Liverpool

Motherwell and Hearts of course managed the Play Off Round.

It seems to me that  2nd place is a must if we are to avoid a long trip to some best forgotten Latvian place.

Just a thought?

I'd be delighted with a wee trip to Ireland.  But if we qualify and we get Uzbekistan or somewhere obscure then I won't be complaining either! 

As above its a great achievement for the club and a tie anywhere would and should be celebrated - obviously if we were to get a draw against some 'minnows' from Cyprus or Malta then its sunny holiday & football time - if not its Ireland and some Guinness in the rain!!!

• Agree 2

Just qualifying would be an event! No expectations of 'doing anything' in Europe. Not something I ever thought I'd see, so any draw is welcome!

And in reply to Laurence, we must remember that teams like Derry City will be HOPING to get us in the draw! (if we make it!).

• Agree 1

As above its a great achievement for the club and a tie anywhere would and should be celebrated - obviously if we were to get a draw against some 'minnows' from Cyprus or Malta then its sunny holiday & football time - if not its Ireland and some Guinness in the rain!!!

Em I'm afraid Cyprus leagues are better than the SPL, do you remember APOEL in the UCL last 8 a few years ago...?

Non event? I was in Derry last year and had a wonderful time. Are you not confusing it with Bury?

Derry  - Bury  - a good  day out , but as Peter Kay would say

Latvia - Latvia  - Latvia, or is it Garlic Bread

Just renewd my passport before I might have to get a new Scottish one , with no  embassies or consulates to support weary  travellers

It seems to me that 2nd place is a must if we are to avoid a long trip to some best forgotten Latvian place.

I heard you went to Latvia last year but you've forgotten!

What's the difference in getting an Irish team as opposed to say a Scandinavian or Icelandic one? If anything it would be a great draw and not a "non-event" at all.

The difference is about £3 a pint

What's the difference in getting an Irish team as opposed to say a Scandinavian or Icelandic one? If anything it would be a great draw and not a "non-event" at all.

The difference is about £3 a pint

If we managed to qualify, I'd bite your hand off for a trip to Norway. Aalesund in particular looks stunning:

File:Aksla_aalesund.jpg

Bill & Mary, the last time I was there, it was £7.25 a pint for a euro chemical lager called (and I kid you not) Ass Ol. Aalesunds stadium is a cracker right enough, but give me odd grenland anyday. http://www.odd.no handy for ryanair, good stadium and, er quite handsome viking maidens if I remember correctly. That would get my two favourite teams on the same park and make my year. I've been to a game there, and also watched them play Lech Poznan at La Manga in Spain. Bizarre experience.