FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ben Greenhalgh - Football's Next Star

Ayeseetee

Bughtmaster has nailed it.  Personally I think these clips are generally pretty meaningless.  Most of us on this site will have played football at some time in our lives and I am sure most of us have stand out memories of goals we scored, tackles we made, inch perfect through balls we played which if filmed and shown together would make us seem like the next Lionel Messi.  Truth is that whilst a poor player may be able to do something special once in blue moon, quality players display those skills on a regular basis.

I am sure that the lad has genuine potential (just like our other signings of obscure players from down south) but if he was as good as some seem to be expecting then he would have been obviously a class above players in the league he was playing in and an obvious target for richer clubs than us.

The recent history of our club suggests that of the new signings, some will do very well, some will be OK and some will simply not live up to the promise seen in them.  If they come good, then great - let's rejoice in that.  But if they don't, let's not knock the club for signing rubbish players or knock the players for not meeting our expectations.  Let's give them support and encouragement when they are here   

• Agree 3

yeah the hype got to me a bit but anything can happen would love to see all the new transfers enjoying themselves and playing great football but the club has to take chances and with our budget we cant afford to be buying rubbish players.

I dont think he has played well in the conferance because of the standard of the players are low and even the best forwards need good passers in the team to make the chances to score goals.

Put him on a tight reign Terry and don't try to force the plant to grow quicker than is natural.

Maybe a game against the likes of Tade will bring him down to earth a wee bit if his natural exuberance makes him have his head in the clouds. No disrespect to Ben but he remains to be tested in the CRUCIBLE OF FIRE...AAARGHHHHHH!

Good article here - 

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/transfer-talk/news/greenhalgh-looks-forward-to-inverness-chance_88255.html

The most interesting part is this bit I think -

The most interesting thing is the style of football he wants to play, which I didn't expect at all.

I hope he doesn't mean long ball!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to pre-season games when Ben and the other newbies will get their chance to showcase just how capable they are and the real  potential they offer.

The way other SPL teams are building up for the new season I would say exciting times are ahead and we will need a star or two to supplement the good core we already have.

I am also intrigued by the mystery goalkeeper in Terry's sights, Reguero wasn't particularly experienced when he came to us but he really did a fine job and I am disappointed he left us, so this experienced keeper whoever he is could be a real find. I don't think he will just be a fill in for Ryan but real competition. Ryan back to his best, which he never was last season, is a match for any keeper in the SPL so I say between them we could be seeing many more clean sheets this time around.

Back to Ben and the others, no prejudgements but I don't think they would be here without good reason. Look how David Raven and Garry Warren developed under the maestros.

This is going to be a cracking season roll on kick off.

5f2756ce45a7dd13cc6ef8ab4e55c6df_bigger.
Ben Greenhalgh @BenGreenhalgh

Proffessional footballer for Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC, 'who knows what the furure may bring

•  

I hope he's a better player than he is speller! 

None of it is important.  He's a footballer.  What is important is how good he is at football.  How well he spells is as irrelevant as how good the editor of "The Times" is at football.

I agree you DD, it is how he plays on the park that is important. I used to be crap at spelling in school (football as well) it is only with the PC and spellchecker I have improved! No use for football though!

You'd think as a new representative of ICT, he'd have made sure that the writing on his main port of call was spelt correctly.  I know most footballers aren't the sharpest tools in the toolshed and he isn't the only one to display an incapability of spelling rather basic words, but spelling two pretty easy words wrong doesn't exactly portray him in a great light!

You'd think as a new representative of ICT, he'd have made sure that the writing on his main port of call was spelt correctly.  I know most footballers aren't the sharpest tools in the toolshed and he isn't the only one to display an incapability of spelling rather basic words, but spelling two pretty easy words wrong doesn't exactly portray him in a great light!

Spelling has got absolutely nothing to do with footballing ability and if someone mis-spells a word then I cannot fathom how this would portray them in a bad light.

Personally I don't really care if our players are spelling bee champions or use correct grammar, if they perform well on the pitch then that's sufficient for me.

If you were to follow some more of our players tweets then you'd be slating most of them cause the grammar and spelling is rarely up to speed, but i'm sure 99.9% of fans wouldn't give a monkeys if their literary skills match their footballing skills

So there's a mistake in what he wrote and everyone jumps on the illiteracy bandwagon. R is next to T on my keyboard and I can see how easy it is to hit the wrong key. Have all you who comment never made such a mistake?

As for the footballer.......that remains to be seen. This guy didn't set out to be one. He was a youngster who entered and won a competition. The prize being a stint with the youth set up at Inter Milan. When that was over he came home and played a couple of seasons with his local teams. I think I'm right in saying we are his first professional club and the step up is a big one. I hope he can cut it but I wont hold my breath till I see him play.

• Agree 2

So there's a mistake in what he wrote and everyone jumps on the illiteracy bandwagon. R is next to T on my keyboard and I can see how easy it is to hit the wrong key. Have all you who comment never made such a mistake?

No, but I'm not a representative of ICT, yet even on here I take my time to read over my posts and make adjustments accordingly.  Obviously one or two slip through the cracks, but you'd think it'd be hard to miss two glorious errors like that!

As for the footballer.......that remains to be seen. This guy didn't set out to be one. He was a youngster who entered and won a competition. The prize being a stint with the youth set up at Inter Milan. When that was over he came home and played a couple of seasons with his local teams. I think I'm right in saying we are his first professional club and the step up is a big one. I hope he can cut it but I wont hold my breath till I see him play.

I believe he was a player prior to the programme.  Think he was at Welling or somewhere and then went back there after being released by Inter.

Edited by Renegade

So the boy can't spell too good, as he plays good football then it should matter little to any of us, essentially just get over it and make him feel welcome. Often wonder what the players must think of the fans at times when they read some of the posts and threads on here.