FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Charlie Christie on Sunday

fursoboysh

Hi guys, my first post and no doubt a controversial one.

Watching the semi on Sunday(couldn't make the game!) Charlie Christie in the studio made reference to the lack of fans following Inverness being dissapointing, and how making a final could attract more into the stadiums on matchdays. I know he didn't mean it in a derogitory way but part of me felt let down by that.

It really annoys me how the small(by press standards) following who show up to the games keeps getting a battering when I think we should be celebrated, this is a team which has existed for 20 years, that is a tiny amount in football terms, any team in that situation would struggle to attract over ten thousand even. In Britain football is a nostalgic affair, standing on the terraces as a youngman with your dad and grandad just as they did with their grandparents 50 years before, that type of support is ingrained into your being, the working mans weekend passion and relief.

For us we have made a choice to go against the grain, it would be easy to support the big teams with all the history but no, we have chosen a team who are writing history, we have decided to support and invest in our local team and watch them flourish through the leagues despite our friends and families sticking with their Rangers, Celtics and Man Uniteds. And boy the results are so sweet, I am a proud Caley fan and have been going to games since I was in primary school and there is definitely a connection between these players and the fans...despite what's written in the press.

I of course have the utmost respect for Christie and it must be very frustrating that the clubs success is not getting bums on seats and I would question a few things around that, but that's for another post for another day.

My point here is that despite so many factors we do have a strong support and one that should absolutely be celebrated, on national tv he had an opportunity to aknowledge that but instead focused on the negitive, it was over in a second and I'm making a fuss about nothing I know but I am getting bored of us being embarassed about it.

What are your thoughts?

• Agree 3

Have to disagree, there is no doubt we have a very loyal core of fans especially those hardy souls who go home and away.

However, there is no doubt that given the population of our catchment area and success as a club the numbers who attend the TCS is a disappointment and it was perfectly proper of CC to say so.

• Agree 3

I don't think there's much in it to be honest, more than likely a bit tongue in cheek from Charlie, he'll be aware of this sort of chat and think it's as much nonsense as the rest of us do.

Considering the time, day, location and circumstances of the game I think the 1900 or so we took was pretty good.  And bl00dy hell did we make some noise!  :ictscarf:

Our support is quite good per head of population and I'm proud to be one of them.  See you at the final.

• Agree 2

The thing is lets look at St Johnstone and Motherwell. Motherwell are a bigger club and have a bigger support but they still struggle to consistently get over 5,000 to home games when they have been one of Scotland's more consistent clubs over the last few seasons. St Johnstone on the other hand have been in Europe and trebled there average gate in the league. Had more at there semi Final on Saturday than they do at McDairmaid and back in 1999 filled the ground playing a big derby vs Dundee to qualify for europe. Even Kilmarnock have more fans that could turn up week in week out but they don't and the stadium is terribly empty. If the media want to pick on teams for poor crowds then have at go at these teams that have the crowds but don't see them every week. We are a Young club and havent had the generational development of support over the years as others have. They should lay off us as we dont have the crowd to turn up these clubs do. I agree with Charlie and everyone else that it is disappointing to not have a larger support that cub certainty deserves but the supporters we do have a brilliantly dedicated lets not take anything away from what we have already got.

• Agree 2

It is disappointing that we can't get more than the 3000 regulars who attend home matches (apart from those who come out the woodwork forgames against Celtic and Ross County)but I suppose there are various factors preventing others to attend week in, week out such as cost and other attractions. I'll bet however that the glory hunters will be out in force for the League Cup final. One way to ensure that its the real fans who go to the final is to issue vouchers at the home games prior to 16th March - no voucher no ticket unless you live outside the area as I know we have a lot of supporters down south.

It is disappointing that we can't get more than the 3000 regulars who attend home matches (apart from those who come out the woodwork forgames against Celtic and Ross County)but I suppose there are various factors preventing others to attend week in, week out such as cost and other attractions. I'll bet however that the glory hunters will be out in force for the League Cup final. One way to ensure that its the real fans who go to the final is to issue vouchers at the home games prior to 16th March - no voucher no ticket unless you live outside the area as I know we have a lot of supporters down south.

No need to discourage anyone whether they regularly attend or not. Given the venue, there will be tickets for everyone. The more the merrier even those who might not watch us again unless and until we reach another final.

• Agree 3

I disagree with the above post.  Whether one sees them as gory hunters or not, surely the more we have at the final the better. There is absolutely no need to issue vouchers at home games preceding the final.  Its not as if there will be any shortage of space at Parkhead.

Edited I meant Alan's post

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks
  • Agree 2

70,000 people in inverness (est)

Assuming half are women (who mostly dont like football but +1k not to be sexist XD)

Just be generious and say half of them dont like football

Take away the ones that will not want to goto a game and just watch it on tv

(generious again)

Finally how many of them support a big english club and/or one of the old firm teams and unfortunatly we have to account for the soap dodgers due to location and 5000 people seems alot for such a young club In an area like inverness!

Not this AGAIN! Small crowds at ICT are a fact (but not unique in Scotland). The young age of the club is a factor for all the reasons above. The trick is to get as many as possible to the final - ESPECIALLY those who don't usually go. If you can convert a few of them on account of the occasion, that's a bonus. Win the thing and even more will be converted because their is just that bit more history to buy into....

• Agree 4

....was much more concerned by CC's suggestion that an offer of £500k would probably have taken Billy elsewhere in January! That answers the question of the poll on this particular subject. Amazing how Rangers value Wallace at £1.4M and we'd have accepted £500 k for an excellent striker in the top division! Slightly off topic, but still about CC's comments on Sunday!

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 2

I know I'm like a scratched record on this, but one of the reasons for limited following of ICT is universal matchday coverage.  I really hope the club invests in some kind of subscription site for live world-wide matchday commentary - something like Player in the English leagues.  It would make a statement about our ambition and open up to a wider audience.  Please Kenny C - invest some cup winnings in this - you won't regret it.

Have to disagree with Alan. I don't know about anyone else but if i am not working offshore i will be trying to get as many mates(most of which have come to games before, some not) as possible to come with me to the final and my brother will be doing the same. Would that be a bad thing? It's not like there won't be room and they will be there supporting ICT, their affinity starting through me and my brother and who knows, it might even stick. We brought two mates each to the semi who made (almost  :crazy:)  as much noise as us and we will easily make double figures with close mates and family for the final because it is the kind of occasion that will attract the fans that don't normally go. Like PerfICT said above, if even a couple of them start to attend more often then job done. My parents are fans, live 70 miles away in Fort Bill so only make a couple of games a season due to work, cost and convenience. If there is ever an occasion for them to make a special effort then surely this is it? There are of course more hardcore fans out there than them but i resent the gloryhunter tag a bit for anyone that goes that's not included in the 3000.

As for CC's comments, he is right but i agree with the OP in that he maybe could have focused on the positive side which was us bringing along a very healthy crowd imo in the face of a very unhelpful SPFL.

• Agree 4

I think it was a subject worth talking about and certainly worth highlighting.

Anything is possible right now and its up to you all to be speaking to absolutely anyone about our entertaining game on tv and coax them along to the cup final.

Whingeing doesnt solve anything.

I know I'm like a scratched record on this, but one of the reasons for limited following of ICT is universal matchday coverage.  I really hope the club invests in some kind of subscription site for live world-wide matchday commentary - something like Player in the English leagues.  It would make a statement about our ambition and open up to a wider audience.  Please Kenny C - invest some cup winnings in this - you won't regret it.

As much as I would like to see dedicated ICT commentary and/or live video of every single match ICT plays its not really viable financially. You can have all the volunteers you like and donated equipment and all sorts but some costs are unavoidable (infrastructure/bandwidth)

CaleyD and others have already commented on this at length in various threads and the media team will do what they can to get as close to that 'dream' as possible but lets face it, we are talking about an audience in the hundreds not the thousands or tens of thousands (and i think saying hundreds is being generous). Neutrals are not going to subscribe and those that would take it up as a serious option number only a handful spread around the globe.

If there is a way of the service being provided without negatively affecting the club budget such as sponsorship or it being self financing (unlikely even in a subscription model) then I am all for it. Otherwise, Open All Mics it is (unfortunately).

If it were a game where there was going to be a capacity issue then I would agree with the voucher idea. Have made similar suggestions in the past in the days when we did sell out TCS for the odd cup game here and there ..... you reward the core fans and diehards if not everyone will be able to get a ticket.

However, with a venue like Celtic Park and no likely ticket issues, I would suggest you think in the opposite direction ... embrace the so-called glory hunters, welcome them with open arms and consider them "casual fans" as opposed to the derogatory term of "glory hunter". Those 'casual fans' who make the decision to go are an opportunity to increase our core crowd on a regular basis.

(These numbers are all subjective - feel free to insert your own as they are only used to illustrate my point)

If our core is 3000 and we take 10,000 (just picking a number out of the air) to Parkhead then there are 7000 opportunities to convert new fans. OK, some will be fans of other teams who happen to live/work in Inverness or are mates with a fan who is going and like the idea of going to a cup final, or yes, some who are true glory hunters in every sense of the words ..... even if 75% of those casual fans would never darken the TCS gates, that would still leave 1750 candidates who might be persuaded to come on a regular basis. Its occasions like this that we can use to build our fan base

• Agree 4

However, with a venue like Celtic Park and no likely ticket issues, I would suggest you think in the opposite direction ... embrace the so-called glory hunters, welcome them with open arms and consider them "casual fans" as opposed to the derogatory term of "glory hunter". Those 'casual fans' who make the decision to go are an opportunity to increase our core crowd on a regular basis.

Couldn't agree more. Given that anyone who wants to go will get a ticket, we should be pushing the novelty/history in the making angle all we can. Who knows, some of the newbies might enjoy it and return.

How many did Caley take to St Johnstone ? Imagine having that type of support at away games today.

I know it's a rhetorical question, IHE, but thinking back, for a Highland League team to mobilise that many troops was incredible. Likely went some way to convincing the central-belters of Inverness's viability when the League admission vote came a couple of years later.

Not sure if it's urban legend, but reputedly some Caley fans were locked out! But anecdotal evidence suggests there may have been as many as 5,000 Caley fans there?

How many did Caley take to St Johnstone ? Imagine having that type of support at away games today.

I know it's a rhetorical question, IHE, but thinking back, for a Highland League team to mobilise that many troops was incredible. Likely went some way to convincing the central-belters of Inverness's viability when the League admission vote came a couple of years later.

Not sure if it's urban legend, but reputedly some Caley fans were locked out! But anecdotal evidence suggests there may have been as many as 5,000 Caley fans there?

It's not urban legend. There were fans locked out.

• Agree 1

ICT undoubtedly deserve larger numbers turning out based on achievements and in a different time would possibly be seeing regular crowds in the region of 5-6,000,however times have changed. The match day experiance is generally pretty poor,Scottish football attendance has declined (outwith the OF) and only the genuinely football minded will turn out to pay overinflated prices to be over policed/stewarded and suffer generally shoddy treatment. I'm sure there are many incomers like myself who have a soft spot for ICT but the time, effort and cost just isn't justified as a neutral, so you are left with the hard core die-hards and 2-3000 is likely to be where it's at for the foreseeable future,CC and co need to accept this and stop making good supporters like the OP feel awkward or embarrassed about it,it aint the ones who goes fault.

I may well tag along to Parkhead for the final,i'm no glory hunter (obviously!) but hope ICT do well and i'm sure it will be a great day out,whatever the result, its a step in the right direction for ICT and what provincial club supporters live for, I for one am jealous as feck!  Good luck ICT 

• Agree 6

It was simply the best support that I have ever had the pleasure to be in. It was also a night where there was no seating plan and the singing section amassed in the middle but it felt like everybody was in synch. There have been times that I have felt that the ICT away support has been close in short periods.

• Agree 2

It was simply the best support that I have ever had the pleasure to be in. It was also a night where there was no seating plan and the singing section amassed in the middle but it felt like everybody was in synch. There have been times that I have felt that the ICT away support has been close in short periods.

remember that game ... I was one of the ones locked out .... until St J. opened up the main stand for us to sit with home fans .... even then there were still a fair few locked out once the main stand filled up.