FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our squad next season

I am fairly certain that most fans/posters on here know that at the end of this season there is likely to be a mass exodus of players leaving so my simple question is, would you rather we replaced them with experienced players or youngsters because I am clearly in the youngsters camp but would also believe that we may need some experienced players no matter what league we're in but especially if we're in league 1 which is the worst case scenario but also the most likely unless we can win our 6 pointers against Arbroath, Queens Park and Dunfermline 🤔.

I don't know who's here for next season but I would imagine that the key ones to retain if at all possible are Billy McKay and Mark Ridgers : ictscarf:

• Agree 1

We’ve only 8 players contracted for next season: Mckay, Ujdur, Brooks, Gilmour, Longstaff, Davidson, Nicolson and Savage.

Presumably Davidson will leave by mutual consent at the end of the season given he’s out on loan. There have been rumours about Billy Mckay wanting to move on at the end of the season, but I’ve no idea if there is any substance to them, hopefully not.

Regardless of which league we are in, we need to utilise our promising youngsters. Guys like Nicolson, Bray, Thompson, Cairns, Walker and Strachan need to be given their chance, supported by whatever experienced players we retain or bring in.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 4

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

There have been rumours about Billy Mckay wanting to move on at the end of the season, but I’ve no idea if there is any substance to them, hopefully not.

Interesting. I had actually been wondering if Billy’s contract could be a bit of a millstone around our neck next season, with him presumably being our highest paid player by a long way, but not really providing us with the goals that we would have expected when we gave him that contract.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Interesting. I had actually been wondering if Billy’s contract could be a bit of a millstone around our neck next season, with him presumably being our highest paid player by a long way, but not really providing us with the goals that we would have expected when we gave him that contract.

I was thinking the same, was he not the one that was set on signing for two years with us? 

A lot depends on how settled Billy is up here. The only way he’ll get more money is by moving back to England. The opportunities are limited up here. He’s 36 in October so when you look at the options (Elgin, County, Peterhead plus the likes of Brora) maybe he’s as well staying here.

A spell in Division 1 will be a good opportunity to blood our youngsters and build a team from within our own ranks which will hopefully, within a couple of seasons, challenge for promotion back to the Championship.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, buckett said:

A spell in Division 1 will be a good opportunity to blood our youngsters and build a team from within our own ranks which will hopefully, within a couple of seasons, challenge for promotion back to the Championship.

OMG no it won't. Just as a spell in the championship has been disastrous this would be worse. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Well Said 1

Hope it doesn’t happen but doesn’t seem to have done raith rovers, airdrie, Queen’s Park, partick, Dunfermline any harm dropping down, resetting and  coming back up to the championship. And probably Falkirk next season.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

Hope it doesn’t happen but doesn’t seem to have done raith rovers, airdrie, Queen’s Park, partick, Dunfermline any harm dropping down, resetting and  coming back up to the championship. And probably Falkirk next season.

Cowdenbeath, Brechin, Clyde.

16 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

Airdrie and Queens Park aside,  the other teams mentioned have a half decent fan base. We don't,  most of the glory hunters have drifted away, leaving a small but hard-core band of diehards.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

Falkirk have spent 6 years in the seaside leagues and not one of those teams listed bounced straight back up when they visited

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

We simply have to beat them on Saturday.  Failing to do so would still have Queens Park in the driving seat for safety even if we beat them the following week.  Queens also still have Arbroath to play.  We need 6 points from our next 2 games or the only way we will avoid the play offs will be by finishing bottom.  

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 11:26 AM, buckett said:

On one hand that might seem beneficial, but on the other we would miss out on TV coverage, which if not providing much or any cash does provide a showcase for players which might persuade some to stay/come here

Likewise the teams in the Championship next season are the ones who will bring the larger away attendances, which if not necessarily massive, make a difference in the cashflow margins when every pound matters [Of course if Ross County were to get relegated, it would see a couple of better pay days]

Arguably wages costs will be lower in League 1, but how low can a club go and attract/retain players?

I have no idea what prize money looks like in the Championship or League 1, anyone have any idea?

On 4/2/2024 at 8:50 PM, bishbashbosh said:

Yeesh. Queen's never dropped, they'd been in the bottom tier for donkeys cos they were Amateur and only moved up once they ditched that. Raith, Airdrie and ESPECIALLY Falkirk were stuck in League One for multiple seasons with Falkirk being stuck there for 6 years. It'll NEVER do us any good, and will only leave us likely pinging between L1 and L2 like Peterhead

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Yeesh. Queen's never dropped, they'd been in the bottom tier for donkeys cos they were Amateur and only moved up once they ditched that. Raith, Airdrie and ESPECIALLY Falkirk were stuck in League One for multiple seasons with Falkirk being stuck there for 6 years. It'll NEVER do us any good, and will only leave us likely pinging between L1 and L2 like Peterhead

Made a mistake with QP.

raith have been pushing DU all season for automatic promotion to the premiership. But 3-1 down to airdrie this evening as I post this. 88 mins played.

partick, airdrie, Dunfermline all pushing for a play off place at the right end of the table. Partick were unlucky not to go up via play off against RC.

I said hope it doesn’t happen, so I say again “ it doesn’t seem to have done them any harm” resetting and coming back up from the lower league

• Well Said 1

Some may disagree, but I consider this how we will be shaping up by focusing on contract extensions for key members if we remain Championship and less so if we are relegated.

Currently it looks like we have the following contracted for next season (I think) - Udjur, Gilmour, Billy, Davidson, Nicholson, Longstaff, Brooks (although If we get relegated I wouldnt be shocked to see Billy & Udjur released if they wanted to leave to cut costs).

Priority regardless of division would be to extend Ridgers or Cammy, Devine & Harper along with Hyde, Bray, Cairns & Strachan

Beyond that if we remain in the Championship keeping Kerr, Boyes, Duffy & Samuels would be good long term additions

All the other loans can GTF as they really havent shown much, the perma crocks and go and those who have failed to deliver or contribute over the last few seasons too - Doran, Samuels, MacGregor, Lodivica etc.

• Agree 1

Whether we stay up or go down, we are going to have to cut costs next season.  The Chairman has already said the current player budget is unsustainable.  In previous years, the Club's annual financial statement always states that being active in the transfer market is a key source of income to keep the club as a going concern.  In reality we have actually sold relatively few players in recent years, but this year I expect the Board will be looking at moving contracted players on and get something for them, unless they are keen to stay and take a wage cut.  Hopefully we will secure 8th place or better which, not only will secure Championship football for next season, but will allow the Board to start its financial restructuring ASAP.  

Ach - what's the panic - the spondoolicks from the Battery Farm will come through - so we can recharge, flash the cash and bounce around like Duracell bunnies again - heading upwards with Europe as the goal and not trips to Cove and Montrose. 

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, bishbashbosh said:

raith have been pushing DU all season for automatic promotion to the premiership. But 3-1 down to airdrie this evening as I post this. 88 mins played.

And with Airdrie's win last night, it's goodbye to our slim chance of making the play-offs at the other end of the table!

No promotion this season, sadly.    😂

• Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting on the Man City game on Thursday, one BBC reporter described Kevin de Bruyne as "the Belgian Duncan Ferguson" after he opened the scoring with a fine headed goal.  De Bruyne shows great promise and will surely have been hugely flattered to be described in this way.  It occurs to me that the lad might be keen to play here next season and continue his development under the guidance of Big Dunc himself.  This could be a great move for ICT as well as for young Kevin.  With Doran sadly looking to be past his sell by date, we are lacking a creative midfielder who can score goals and de Bruyne could be just the type of player we need.  

Edited by DoofersDad
  • Funny 6