FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

U-20 WORLD CUP VICTORIA BC CANADA SUNDAY JULY 1st

Guest Argyll Highlander

Guest Argyll Highlander

Just an update to let you all know that the unofficial and newly formed Victoria BC Canada Branch of the Tartan Army are fired up and ready to go for Sundays game.  10:15PM Scotland Time.  My son Cameron & I will be two of many in what should be a pro Scotland crowd for our game against Japan.  I don't expect our rendition of The Flower of Scotland to be the same blood stirring experience as what I see on YouTube back in Scotland at National games but I'm looking forward to belting it out!!  (Sitting beside my English Mate - Jacko!!)  <--*******..    kinddin..... 

Lets hope we play well,  saw our boys training today at St. Michael's School,  they were playing Simon Says.....   

Simon Says "Lets kick some ***!!"   

GO SCOTLAND!!        :sillywave:  from Victoria!!   

Hello Argyll I am one of the many volunteers involved with the U20 WC. Like many others i'll be wearing my red volunteer t-shirt and hat but will have my Scotland jacket just encase we get a wee shower or two.

Guest Argyll Highlander

Hey all just got back from the U-20 game in Victoria.  Hope it wasn't as painful to watch on TV as it was live.  All in all it was a good atmosphere, we don't get any football like that over here very often.  Looking for a better showing on Wednesday,  that will be like what,  2 am in Scotland.  Hope your all up watching.  Seemed to me like the team was a bit nervous out there today,  lets hope the jitters are gone for Wednesday against Nigeria who by the way looked pretty impressive in the game that followed Scotland against Costa Rica.  If we play Nigeria like we played today we'll be in  for a thrashing. 

GO SCOTLAND!!!

highlight of the day --  Streaker during the Nigeria/Costa Rica game  & belting out the Flower of Scotland!! 

Hats of to the Nigerian fans they were awesome!! 

No surprise to see the Hibs keeper fork up again. They seem to have a conveyor belt of useless keepers :33: :sillywave:

Just the result I would have expected from a Scotland side, beaten by a much technically superior team.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to admit that i didn't pay much attention to the under 20 world cup other than scotland's results. I was lucky enough to be in Gambia at the turn of the year when their under 20 team qualified and the atmosphere amongst the locals was incredible. They were all looking forward to the competition in Canada with a degree of optimism. Anyone know how they got on?

TORONTO, July 12 (Reuters) - Spain beat Brazil and the United States saw off Uruguay to reach the Under-20 World Cup quarter-finals along with Austria and Czech Republic on Wednesday.

Spain came from behind to secure a 4-2 extra-time victory over Brazil in a thrilling encounter in Burnaby.

Goals from Leandro Lima and Alexandre Pato put Brazil 2-1 up but Spain equalised six minutes before the end of normal time when Javi Garcia floated in a free kick with the defence sleeping.

Bueno took Spain towards the last eight 12 minutes into extra-time with a stooping header after a fine run and cross from the impressive Diego Capel.

Brazil struggled after Lima was sent off and Spain sealed victory in the final minute with a goal from Adrian Lopez.

Uruguay looked to have finished off the Americans in Toronto when Edinson Cavani's header was parried out by U.S keeper Brian Perk and Luis Suarez drove home the loose ball.

But the U.S. forced the game into extra-time after Uruguay defender Mathias Cardaccio slid Danny Szetela's cross into his own net.

The winner came in the second period of extra-time, when the Uruguay defence failed to deal with a corner and Michael Bradley slammed the ball in from close range.

The game ended with ugly scenes as players from both sides confronted each other on the pitch and coaches and officials were forced to intervene.

The U.S. will meet Austria, who ended Gambia's ambitions with a 2-1 victory in Edmonton thanks to substitute Erwin Hoffer's 81st-minute winner.

Despite having midfielder Seiya Fujita sent off in the first minute, Japan went 2-0 up against the Czech Republic thanks to goals from Tomoaki Makino and Yasuhito Morishima but let their advantage slip as penalties from Ondrej Kudela and Jakub Mares brought the Czechs level.

With neither side scoring in extra-time the match was decided by a penalty shootout which the Czechs won 4-3.