Life Great Unanswered Questions

Dmacca

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what's the differnce between flammable and inflammable?

The word "inflammable" came from Latin inflamm?re = "to set fire to", where the prefix in- means "in" as in "inside" (compare English "in flames"). But there have been instances of people thinking that this "in-" prefix means "not" as in "invisible" and "incombustible" etc, and thus wrongly thinking that "inflammable" means "cannot burn". To avoid this safety hazard, the shortened word "flammable" has come into use in recent years.

If chickens had lips could they whistle . .  :023:

Yes, through their teeth.

Why is the sky?

Carles, you are just inflaming the situation, bit like the dietician question. :023:

How many Islands in A Thousand Island Dressing :024: ..............and how do you get them all in that wee bottle :029:

"Inflammable means the same as flammable, 'liable to catch fire', 'easily ignited'. Because it is often taken to mean the opposite, it is best to avoid using it at all; in official use flammable and non-flammable are the preferred terms".

All seems a bit inflamatory to me.....or should that be flamatory?

Why do you're own farts always seem to smell quite nice?

Hmmmmm, am not the smelliest person around, but at times, mines honk. "quite nice" is not the term i would ever use, not even for my least offensive pumps